Opeth-> Symphony?

mysweetdeath

Easy Mac > Difficult Mac
Sep 6, 2003
Mulberry, Florida
If an Opeth song were to be played by a symphony or an orchestra, which song do you think would sound the best?

I think, in no order, these would be great.
1. A Fair Judgment
2. Benighted
3. The Moor
4. Demon of the fall
5. To Bid Yo Farewell
6. The Amen Corner
and for some reason...
7. Wreath
I'm sure there are plenty more that would be astounding performed by a symphony.

Don't go there, Metallica barely pulled it off, and look where they are now. I think it would be cool if they got like one song done, but no further than that. O, and I would have to pick either DTF, or TBYFW

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Don't go there, Metallica barely pulled it off, and look where they are now. I think it would be cool if they got like one song done, but no further than that. O, and I would have to pick either DTF, or TBYFW
Well, I didn't mean Opeth playing WITH the symphony, but instead a symphony playing an arrangement of their songs.

I don't think a symphony would benefit Opeth at all. Their sound is already so full and their compositions so thorough that any additional orchestration would detract from the songs, not add to them.

S&M worked for Metallica because their original arrangements were thin and entirely melodic or two-part harmonic. orchestration served to widen the sound and--thank god--make it more interesting.

opeth's music is too multifarious to augment with further stratification. the arrangements would either have to be ridiculously complex (and probably drowned out) or boring and minimalist a la [insert mediocre doom band here].

even a symphonic cover of an opeth song would fail to even reach its current standard of quality, much less surpass it. symphonic versions would lose the vocal variety, and expose the slight redundancies inherent to prolonged vocal passages. as well, i doubt that even the most bombastic of orchestras could replicate the instantaneous and intense changes of dynamics.

Opeth's music would be really compatible with the Symphony Orchestra.
Metallica make themselves out to be such dicks on that S&M documentory when they are talking about Kamen saying how their music was structured like it was for the symphony. I'm sure what he ment was that it went were it was supposed to go. ie good songs. but our mates in Metallicash though kamen was making them out to be music gods. Fuck I hate metallica

read people...READ ...he's not saying it'd be cool if Opeth played with a orchestra but that it'd be cool if a orchestra covered some opeth songs.

And it is possible easily... Orchestra's often play much more complex stuff then Opeth's music with ease so don't think that they couldn't handle it on that aspect.

saturnix said:
S&M worked for Metallica because their original arrangements were thin and entirely melodic or two-part harmonic. orchestration served to widen the sound and--thank god--make it more interesting.

opeth's music is too multifarious to augment with further stratification. the arrangements would either have to be ridiculously complex (and probably drowned out) or boring and minimalist a la [insert mediocre doom band here].

even a symphonic cover of an opeth song would fail to even reach its current standard of quality, much less surpass it. symphonic versions would lose the vocal variety, and expose the slight redundancies inherent to prolonged vocal passages. as well, i doubt that even the most bombastic of orchestras could replicate the instantaneous and intense changes of dynamics.

Looks like SOMEONE's been paying attention in English class ;)

I don't know if strings were added or a cover of a song, what song would sound good, but they should put a few strings in future songs. Ulver is hopefully going to release a string remake of NAttens Madrigal though, which I am immensely looking forwarrd to. For some reason, it is the perfect and most ironic album to remake with strings and I think they will pull it off brilliantly.

IcemanJ256 said:
I don't know if strings were added or a cover of a song, what song would sound good, but they should put a few strings in future songs. Ulver is hopefully going to release a string remake of NAttens Madrigal though, which I am immensely looking forwarrd to. For some reason, it is the perfect and most ironic album to remake with strings and I think they will pull it off brilliantly.
Indeed L.O.L :)