Underrated Opeth songs.

in mist she was standing, under the weeping moon, night and the silent water, white cluster, serenity painted death, bleak (maybe underplayed rather than underrated), wreath.

im not sure whats underrated out of damnation mainly cause i dont know which tracks people pick out the most as their best.

actually, weakness is definatley underrated. a lot. i love that track. in my time of need is my fav of the album i think.

the first time i heard weakness, i didn't liked it. Now i love that song, the strangest opeth's song ever and thinking about it twice, it gets my vote.

this is maybe one of the most depressive song as for the feeling. When i fall asleep to damnation and awake on weakness for a moment it's like an extazy. A Sorta paranoïac atmosphere that is awsome when we understand the feeling of that song.

Pretty much the whole of Orchid is underrated, I say this because I think when people list their favourite albums in order it often comes at the bottom. It's my second favourite album after Still Life. Talking of Still Life, I think Moonlapse Vertigo is the best song they have written and doesn't often get the priase it deserves.

@Don Corleone: I agree wholeheartedly! I've even heard some people slag 'Karma' pretty badly, and I can not figure out why. This is my favorite song on MAYH, anyway, and one of my favorites of all time. See, two parts of this song kill me:

After the raging intro, when everything stops except for the clean vocals, 'Ahhhhhhh', then the band kicks back in and the vocals go down a half step. That's so fucking emotional, I always have to stop what I'm doing when that part comes on.

Then the other killing part, the outro. The scream. 44 fucking seconds (I think). This part HAS TO BE HEARD on headphones. It's so intense. That scream IS that album. Everything felt on that album is in that one scream. It slays me every time.

Then, of course, there are parts of that song that just give me the creeps, like this:

Some would settle for less
The castles were all empty, asleep
Long awaiting their king
Beckoning 'round the bend

The lyrics about the castles being asleep is so eerie. All in all, a damn near perfect song.

"When"--because of that crushing intro (almost wants to make you open your car windows and crank it all the way up just to blast the guy next to you) and bittersweet ending.

"White Cluster"--Opeth's best solos even though they're buried in the fucking mix too much.

Wreath is terribly underrated. I think it's great. Serenity Painted Death is also an underrated track. I like the pinch harmonics. It's so amazing that one band could use so much variety on one album (Still Life)

The Moor and Godhead's Lament are beautiful songs, but no they're not really underrated...

I'd go with Nectar, The Amen Corner(in my first post), Karma, When, most of what is in Orchid, and the last 4 songs on Still Life are possibly the best songs I've heard by Opeth but aren't talked about as much.

bangadrian said:
the most underrated opeth songs are demon of the fall and the moor. nobody ever talks about those songs! in fact, i've heard some serious hate toward those songs. but i was just listening to them the other day, and they actually aren't too shabby if you just give them a chance. i mean, there are really some cool parts. i suggest you go back and give them a 2nd listen, you might actually come to like them!
Those are the two of the best Opeth songs at least for me :headbang:
The Funeral Portrait Rules \m/ so sick

i must admit i usually roll down the window and blast my opeth
around here you only hear fucking shitty rap music blasting out of windows...
it's my noise-protest
anyway, if you see a green camry w/ frayed opeth decal in the window around boston, drive closer and have a listen :)