Underrated Opeth songs.

Episteme

Jul 10, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
Since we can't really post anything irrelevant to Opeth, here's a fun thread for everyone! :rolleyes:

I personally think The Amen Corner is the most underrated song in Opeth's catalogue. It's melodic, heavy as fuck but has it's beautiful calm moments as well. Plus it's a great lead up to Demon of the Fall... and an awesome song after Madrigal's atmosphere.

Discuss...

The most underrated song, I mentioned this in another thread not long ago, is WHEN, hands down. I hope Opeth play it live in the next tour (together with the whole MAYH and SL catalogue) and we can appreciate it really as it is: one of the five best Opeth songs.

Haha, the thread title is almost an oxymoron. It seems that with the onslaught of new fans, almost all of Opeth's material is hyped to insane levels.

Hard to say which are underrated as Opeth's fanbase is split up so widely. In pertinence to newer fans, I'd have to go with pretty much all the older material. I hate people who are stuck on D&D as 'g|234t3st 4lbUm 3v4r!!!'.

Even though they are recognized by most of the long-time fans as Opeth's masterpieces, I still think that MAYH and SL need more recognition in general. I also think that the material on these two albums comes off amazingly well live.

I think people are determining 'underrated' by the least talked about song at this forum.

If thats the case then it'd be "The Amen Corner" and "Forest of October".

"Under the weeping moon" is definetly underated. Perhaps it´s not the best song off orchid but it does have an amazing atmosphere.

Without a doubt, The Funeral Portrait. You hear about every other song off their most popular album on here, there was even a large post about Dirge For November. The first time I heard The Funeral Portriat, it was my favorite Opeth song because of its energy. Morningrise and Orchid have some underrated ones as well, but they don't equal The Funeral Portrait in my opinion.

"Under the Weeping Moon"... my favorite off of Orchid, although this one and "The Twilight is My Robe" seem to be forgotten here instead of other songs off the album.

"Godhead's Lament"... a killer opening riff, and the rest of the song just takes off, never really talked about I guess.

"Dirge for November"... even Mendez slags this one off, but I think it's amazing.

"Patterns in the Ivy"... sure, it's short, but the piano is laid-back and jazzy, really cool to hear.

"Still Day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy 2"... these songs may only be bonus tracks, but they are jems. Almost like Pink Floyd, they're really touching and among my favorites.

"Ending Credits"... a simple song, but carries one of Opeth's strongest emotional punches.

Moonlapse said:
Haha, the thread title is almost an oxymoron. It seems that with the onslaught of new fans, almost all of Opeth's material is hyped to insane levels.

Hard to say which are underrated as Opeth's fanbase is split up so widely. In pertinence to newer fans, I'd have to go with pretty much all the older material. I hate people who are stuck on D&D as 'g|234t3st 4lbUm 3v4r!!!'.

Even though they are recognized by most of the long-time fans as Opeth's masterpieces, I still think that MAYH and SL need more recognition in general. I also think that the material on these two albums comes off amazingly well live.

wow, you nailed that one. for me, being a fan of newer material...but when i hear old opeth fans say that the older material is way better, then i can't help but think the newer material is underrated.

Shadow Island: I'm certainly with you on "Bleak"...it may be my favorite on BWP, although the title track and "The Drapery Falls" are also way up there. To be honest I didn't pay it all that much attention at first, but then I bothered to look at the lyrics. That's when I actually started to notice how brutally emotional the song really is. Oh...and I don't know if this has already been discussed, if the BWP songs relate to the concepts of prior albums, but it seems to me that "Bleak" would have been at home on MAYH, perhaps somewhere between "The Amen Corner" and "Demon of the Fall". (Even the fade-out on "Bleak" is a bit suggestive of this...but that's just my opinion.)

As for "Wreath"...sorry, but this one's also one of my least favorites. The only part of it that does anything for me is the quiet interlude with the Latin-style drumming.