Dirge for November, fools.

Someone asked me for my top 5 favourite Opeth songs, and Dirge was there. I just love the hopeless, desolate feel of that song. The repetition even makes it better, adding to the doomy atmosphere. Everyone who likes this songs should check out the Finnish band Swallow the Sun, they're quite similar in style (atmospheric death/doom).

The ONLY thing in the whole Opeth cat. that doesn't sit well with me is the 'Ohhh ohhh, sleep my child' chorus of 'Death Whispered a Lullaby'.
I hate to say it but it kinda makes me cringe when I hear it.

I've always liked it. It's got a very bleak atmosphere. The into/outro parts always get me, and while the heavy part is a bit uninteresting, it keeps up the feel of the song.

Dirge is one of the most atmospheric songs on BWP. It just has this eery tension to it.. quite sad sounding too .. Perfect ending. I just can't hate it.

The heavy part is somewhat dismal, but I think it fits the song very well. It's definitely a standout track on what I think is a pretty disappointing album.

I don't like the 1st few tracks at all. Dirge & BWP save this album for me. Dirge is also my favorite track for inhaling

OMG HI ULTIMATE METAL FORUM PPLZ! LETZ JUMP ON t3H "dIURGE F0 N0VEMB3R BANDWAGON".

It's obvious you shitballs don't like this song, it was voted least favorite by almost everyone in the Blackwater Park poll, and now every "loves" it. Bandwagon jumpers, holy shit.

It seems like your opinion for Dirge for November kind of depends on your opinion of Blackwater Park, which is my personal favorite (being challenged by MAYH).

And more people are going to jump in in defense of a song than pop in just to say they hate it.

Zivilyn said:
It seems like your opinion for Dirge for November kind of depends on your opinion of Blackwater Park, which is my personal favorite (being challenged by MAYH).

And more people are going to jump in in defense of a song than pop in just to say they hate it.
i don't agree. i love Dirge For November although i don't really like BWP (i think it's their worst effort besides Damnation).
Dirge on the other hand is a masterpiece of monumental melancholy. easily my favourite on BWP

blimey said:
OMG HI ULTIMATE METAL FORUM PPLZ! LETZ JUMP ON t3H "dIURGE F0 N0VEMB3R BANDWAGON".

It's obvious you shitballs don't like this song, it was voted least favorite by almost everyone in the Blackwater Park poll, and now every "loves" it. Bandwagon jumpers, holy shit.

Almost everyone, except for the 30 people on this thread that have said they like it, fucktard.

I personally love this song, and I have always said so.

I think I've already posted on this thread.. buggered if I know.

One of my fav's on BWP. I definately didn't vote it as my last. Personally I don't get the fuss about the title track. Dirge seems so helpless and so personal. It gets me everytime...

Black Session said:
actually I was referring to the threadstarter :)

and I also never said that it's a bad song btw ... far from it ... but in my humble opinion it's one of the least succesful of Opeth (but actually, and don't shoot me, on BWP there are about 3 or 4 songs that I feel are among the least good that Opeth have made, I'm not a big BWP fan ... yet Bleak and Funeral Portrait are amongst my favourite opethsongs, BWP is a bit schizophrenic for me thus)

you mean, the world... DOESN'T... revolve around me??

*chokes*

ah well, my bad...

I think this is my favourite Opeth track. Absolutely love it. It can be a tad repetitive..but that doesn't bother me. Dirge for November = <3