Dirge for November love?

This song includes one of the best Mike-made lyrics.
There is absolutely no way to create a bleaker mood than the lyrics do here!
Someone looses all his/her relatives and friends. So he/she decides no longer to sustain the pain but to slit his/her arm and veins and commit suicide to get absolution. (well, my interpretation)
Why November? November is the month before December, therefore the month before winter. Winter means death - > The protagonist ist just at this moment in the song awaiting his death. Genius!!!!!
I have chills each time!!!! Adore it.... :worship:notworthy:worship:

It's my favourite off BWP, but then again, I'm not a very big fan at all of The Funeral Portrait, BWP or The Drapery Falls. They don't really appeal to me, or maybe I've just neglected them too much...

BWP is my least favorite Opeth album. But, I understand why people have such love for it. BWP was more marketable than their previous albums, it was also more progressive and that'll sit better with certain fans. Which is why I feel BWP could be someone's favorite Opeth album.

DFN on the other hand is my least favorite Opeth song. Honestly, I can't see the redeeming value in it. To me it is just dry and boring. The death metal segment (and I hate to use that term discussing Opeth) at 3:27 is ok, but I don't care much for the transition out of it at 5:45. I don't know how I'd feel about that part if it wasn't attached to the boring end or the horrible singing during the intro. I will say this, I really do like the guitar solo forty-five seconds in. But, that isn't redeeming enough for me to like the song by any means.

I've taken a lot of criticism for sharing my distaste for this song (and even BWP). But, it's only an opinion. ...and this comment will definitely stir controversy and get me flamed. I almost hate to say it... But, most fans do not like every song in the catalog of a band. There are two Opeth songs I don't like. Mine are Dirge for November the other is Forest of October. Now, here's the comment that'll get me flamed. 'Metallica is the only band that I have actually liked everyone of their songs'. There are two or three from Dream Theater that I did not like. Opeth has the two. Porcupine Tree has a lot! Those are my four favorite bands.

Opnions are opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own. Giving someone shit for their opinion is retarded.
that being said, what i like most about DFN is how visual the song is for me. Its sort of like a good peice of literature where the text is almost instantly played out in your mind.

wow that was a terrible description of what i'm trying to say. haha

There are two Opeth songs I don't like. Mine are Dirge for November the other is Forest of October.

Dirge and Forest were 2 songs I could not get into. However after giving them some time I enjoy Dirge quite a lot now and Forest is in my favourite 5 Opeth tracks. BWP was my favourite album when I first got into Opeth mainly due to accessible songs such as The Drapery Falls. As much as I loved Drapery at first it is probably the track I listen to the least these days. To me, Dirge is like a MAYH song. MAYH takes quite a while to appreciate and in comparison to the other BWP tracks, Dirge initially seems quite ordinary on the surface. Then as time goes on, wow.

^I agree. MAYH was my one of my least favorite for a long time, but probably my favorite nowadays. IMO their heaviest and darkest. For sure a grower album. Tons of atmosphere.

Oh and on topic, Dirge is one of the best Opeth songs. The 3 different moods of the song, light (contemplating, planning of suicide), heavy (leading up to it, doing it), and light at the end (after death) with one of the most beautiful outros...

I get lost in this song..absolutely love it.

I notice a lot of threads popping up mentioning older songs..is it that they've taken time to grow on you or what?

No to Forest of October and Yes to the complete Metallica discography?! Requiem960, shame on you :p

I'm staking my claim on Face of Melinda or Benighted to et some love as most people probably don't take the time to appreciate such antiquated gems. always and evermore.

Look arond, there are a few people who do appreciate such antiquated gems.

As I said most people do not appreciate such antiquated gems. The few of us who do are happily enlightened people and all the better for it lol.