Dirge for November = Underrated

I love the heavy section, I think the riff sounds wonderful, and the vocals are great, although I do agree with one of the reviewers on the opeth.com site that the riff does have a more MAYH feel to it which causes it to stand out a little when compared with the rest of BWP. The real beauty of this song though is the clean beginning. Just pure, simple beauty, one of my favorite Opeth sections. It is sad but so uplifting due to its grace and elegance.

the thing about dirge for november for me specifically is its uniqueness among opeth tracks at the time. when i first heard it, it was on a promo disc a month or two before the album was released officially. and i remember how much i liked dirge for november for being fairly different to most the Opeth material up to that point. That awesome intro, and how fantastic that main lead melody line is when the song drops to the heavy part before the vocals...then back into a very somber soft part at the end. Was very well put together and catchy i thought.

Its not my most listened to, but at the same time I would'nt want it any other way. The whole point of the song is to be "droney" like a dirge. Its the perfect name for the song, and it gives off the perfect emotions, but yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice if I put on a random Opeth song, but as mentioned its experimental for an Opeth track and not supposed to be a good example of their usual sound.

Braighs said:
Read the lyrics, then listen again. Its a song about suicide and probably depression. Not bipolar disorder, just good ole' depression. The sudden changes of intensity wouldn't make sense. When your depressed, you dont' suddenly change moods. Musically speaking, its like a drone that just doesn't go away. Its By far not my most listened to track, but its a huge artistic statement nonetheless.

yes!!! its a soundtrack for a very flat feeling...its stuck in a rut while viewing what could be ahead...but there is a very hopeless feeling to this song... i fucking love it! its actually my favorite opeth song right now.

Probably in my top 15 or 10. I dunno, I made that other Dirge thread a while back (there were actually 2, this is the third)... It doesn't seem so underrated to me anymore, it just seems like some people love it and others don't, like The Moor. There's no way to convince anyone to change their ideas, they just need to clean out their ears some. The more time goes on, the more appreciation the song will get. It's cool though, if people don't like it whatever.

It's one of the worse songs on BWP. I personally think, because of it's structure. The begining is cool, with the slightly off-key, emotional vocals. And the clean guitar riff after gave me chills the first few times I heard it. After that point, the song seems to drone for me. The heavy part isn't broken up. It seems all too sudden and thrown in there. Then it dosn't go anywhere from there... it just leads you into some mellow acoustics and nothing much happens. It's okay as a song, just not that good. I probably wouldn't skip it or anything. It fits in the album.

AFairJudgement0 said:
I agree that most of us know the songs, but if you are content with just knowing the songs then why are you so involved in a discussion forum??
I hope you're not making a suggestion there or there will be hell to give. The reason why this particular thread annoys me is because it's one of a million that sound the same. Whatever, go do what you want. That's not the only reason I'm on the forum, if you notice, I've been on here since November and have made over 500 posts on several subjects. Don't go assuming that I only discuss about knowing the songs. WTF lol.

The only thing I ask is to not turn this into an argument.

- the Somewhat Fat Guitarist

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Instead Of People complaining about what songs are underrated why don't they shut up and just listen to it anyway? It's mindless babbling. First it was "OMG BLEAK IS LIKE, SO OVERRATED" and now Dirge For November is underrated? Why does it matter if they get "rated" at all? We all know of the songs, so I don't think they need any more mentioning than usual.

Let's be serious here.

You're right. Which is why we started to make off topic threads. Which got deleted.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
The only thing I ask is to not turn this into an argument.

That of course is not the intention. The intention of the thread was to talk about the song and why ppl like/dislike it. I didn't realize this subject has been talked about in detail before, and I frankly dont have the time to sift through the pages of old posts. I was just listening to the song, and was inspired to express why I liked it. All I meant by the comment of posting on a discussion forum is that discussing things about the band/songs/etc is really the point of this forum, and I meant no offense by that at all. There are plenty of other things to talk about it, but this is what I want to get out of the forum in general. I apologize if I offended you.

Anyways, I still think its one of my favourite songs and I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Okay, okay, don't worry. No need to make intelligent responses here! I've noticed how lots of newbies (notice how I didn't say "n00bs", so it's not offensive) always make these massive posts upon entry of the forums, and frankly, it bores me. Why can't someone come in with:

"Hey guys, Opeth pwns! They are my favorite band."

That's it. See? That just pwn3d.

in limbow said:
I like the beginning and the end but the middle part with the death metal vox is boring. One of my least favorite Opeth songs.

Well, there you go... Me, I love that part!

The bass guitar part is just a great piece of composing - it changes the function of the harmonies above it, as it isn't always the root of the chord!!
It's on one level so simple - but on the other hand: perfect!

I had that section in my head all morning today, I just didn't leave me.
(Oh, dear - those guys REALLY know how to make music!) :worship:

Give it another chance and enjoy the harmonies!!