Dirge For November (song meaning)

sands of the seas

Of Another World
Jul 18, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
First of all i just gotta say that this is my favourite song on BWP at the moment.
Now, to the point, the meaning of the song. I'm not very good at understanding lyrics, let alone opeth lyrics so i could be way off track with this one. To me this song is about the end of Autumn.
Dirge - lament for the dead
November - end of autumn, at least in some places
This is the only theory i have thought of so far, but it seems kinda alright. Like i said, i am terrible at doing this and i don't do it very often at all. I just thought i'd give it a shot.
If anybody knows, could you please tell me if i'm right or wrong. If i'm wrong can you tell me the real meaning.

If think it's about someone who is completely lost or don't know what to do due to dark exterior influences...as a consequence of it, the person wishes to die...check out these verses:

"here is nowhere....searching home still...all are gone...grant me sleep...take me under"

they kind of express in few words what I think this song is about.

I find it to be obviously a song about suicide. I never thought of it any other way, and it makes sense.

Yeah, Mike even said it's a suicide song. "It sheds upon the floor, dripping into a pool" is about the guy's blood from whatever part of his body he chose to cut.

Originally posted by Smekermann
...How fucking hard was that to figure out? Jesus fucking Christ, some of you people need to read the lyrics before giving us your philosophical outlook on what the fucking song is about.
Woah, somebody woke up in a funny position this morning!
If you read my second post you would have seen that i said i thought that's what it was about before but i was hoping for something a little less negative! I even admitted it was stupid: "I guess it was just wishful thinking". It was a guess! An innocent guess and it DOES fit.
So before you go jumping down other people's throats you might like read what they say first. I would advise you to take an anger management course too if you get so worked up about somebody's view on a song.
And by the way, i'm free to give my opinion to whomever i wish. I'm here to discuss all things opeth. And guess what, this song happens to be an opeth song! So if it's ok with you i'll post what i think the song is about :rolleyes:
Jackass!
That goes for anybody else who wants to have a go at me too :mad: :( :mad:

But you're from Australia, and thus you have a better grasp of the English language than him, thus you have no excuse. Where the hell did you get THAT from the lyrics? Have you actually READ them or have you just looked at the title and though "hmmm... dirge... and november.... WOW IT MUST BE A SONG ABOUT THE END OF NOVEMBER!!! LOL I AM SMRT"?

Like i said, i'm NOT good at this and it's one of the first times i have tried to do this with any song. I'm 16, i'm in the 10th grade, i'm new to this sort of interperating. I haven't looked very deeply in to the lyrics, just quickly. Keep in mind i thought the same as everybody else on here before i tried looking for something else in the song, as i have said before. Perhaps it was a mistake to chose Dirge because it is obvious, but i chose it.
Anyway, here is my logic:
Ok, as i said before, Dirge - Lament for the dead, Novemeber - End of Autumn.

"Lost, here is nowhere
Searching home still
Turning past me, all are gone
Time is now"
Somebody could be sad about Autumn ending and the cold, harsh winter following. They want Autumn to stay, they search for a continuation of it, but it's nowhere, it's gone.

"The omen showed, took me away
Preparations are done, this can't last
The mere reflection brought disgust
No ordeal to conquer, this firm slit "
The first signs of winter have showed. Autumn can't last and this is sad. The slit, well i wasn't sure about that one, but i thought it might be some metaphor.

"It sheds upon the floor, dripping into a pool
Grant me sleep, take me under
Like the wings of a dove, folding around
I fade into this tender care"
More metaphors here. Autumn is at the very end. Autumn has ended.

So as you can see, i didn't just look at the title of the track like you so ignorantly assumed.
It might not be that good, but that's my logic. Of course i saw how it could be about suicide, i'd have to be stupid not to. Like i've been saying all along, i was looking for something else. Obviously something that wasn't there.

I always thought this place was one of the few music forums without a bunch of assholes in it. I could be wrong.

Actually I read this one review where the guy thought the album was another concept one, about an outbreak of leprosy in a place called Blackwater Park. The lyrics are vague enough that it almost works.

Man, you do not make good flaming material. WTF. WHEN I FLAME YOU, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GET PISSED OFF AND START INSULTING ME, NOT POST LONG EXPLANATIONS ABOUT WHY YOU THOUGHT THIS WAY AND WHATEVER. CHRIST.

I am thoroughly disappointed.
:lol:

You stupid immature faggot! I'm entitled to my own fucking opinion about a song you stupid dipshit horse crap! Why don't you go bitch about somebody having a different point of view to your mamma you stupid half-brained bastard!
Is that to your liking? :lol:

Seriously though, i was just proving my point and it seems to have worked. What's the point in flaming?