Dirge for November

I love it. It's one of their more fun songs to play on guitar too, even though it's nothing earth shatteringly hard.
The outro is too long, but Opeth has a bunch of parts like that. It's annoying, but no amount of bitching will change the fact that Opeth will ALWAYS repeat parts 30 more times than nesscesary. Just skip on to The Funeral Portrait if you can't live with it.
The "flow" of it isn't quite as bad for me as some people are making it out to be. When the distortion kicks in it has an incredibly powerful feel to it that goes along great with the rest of it. It seems like all of the transitions are intentionally abrupt, it's not just bad songwriting and lack of anything better to put in between.

I've been on a huge Dirge for November kick for a while, glad someone made a thread about it.

I really like the soft intro with the clean vocals, but unfortunately the heavy part of the song isn't nearly as good. Least listened song on the album.

really great song,the slow lead lines flow awesome togeher,I love the leads on that fucking album, the drapery falls,the leper affinity,harvest,bleak,every lead on that album is pure excellence.

Martin probably doesn't like it because he plays for only a third of the song. Both Martins actually. I think the song has to be intentionally choppy, but the heavy middle section is rather weak. It's probably my second to least favorite on the album. But still an excellent suicide song, and in comparison to any other band a great song period. I figured this board could use a thread that didn't suck, and still assholes tried to trash it.

are the lyrics actually about someone committing suicide or is there more to that.. ive never actually read the lyrics to interpret them since there really isnt a set theme to the album it seems. Although it would make sence after reading that thread about teh funeral portrait lyrics..

suislidE said:
are the lyrics actually about someone committing suicide or is there more to that.. ive never actually read the lyrics to interpret them since there really isnt a set theme to the album it seems. Although it would make sence after reading that thread about teh funeral portrait lyrics..

The speaker in the song definitely commits suicide. I don't have them in front of me, but I doubt they could be interpreted in any other way.

Seriously, I cannot understand what it is about this song that annoys people. In fact, I honestly find it quite touching, especially the fragile vocals in the acoustic section. Probably one of my favorites on Blackwater Park along with the title track, "Bleak", and "The Drapery Falls".

Leper anyone? I love Dirge, it ranks high on the list of best songs on BWP. Least listened to is Patterns because when I listen to BWP its for the heaviness so I tend to skip Patterns most of the time.

I think Dirge for November is the closest they came to "doom" metal in my opinion...one of the saddest, melancholic songs I have ever heard.

Leper Affinity however owns.

My least listened to song is The Drapery Falls...it just doesn't do much for me except when the death vocals kick in and things get cool.

I agree, "Dirge for November" is an amazing song. I used to skip it all the time because I'd hear that intro and think "eww, he's so offkey, gotta change the song." But I've actually grown to appreciate that, and the heavy section is REALLY unique... it's truly a growl instead of a scream. Almost sounds like a lonely beast, in the forest alone and wanting a companion... lol or something weird like that. And of course, the acoustic sections are amazing too.

from best to least fave tracks of've this albumn, id say....

1 Leper affinity
2 Harvest
3 Bleak
4 BWP
5 The F. P
6 Drapery
7 Patterns
8 Dirge

All are ace....but i just think theres a lot more to the other songs (minus Patterns). The first opeth song i heard was Leper Affinity.....amazing

iseesmurfs420 said:
Leper anyone? I love Dirge, it ranks high on the list of best songs on BWP. Least listened to is Patterns because when I listen to BWP its for the heaviness so I tend to skip Patterns most of the time.

Leper is my favorite on BWP except for The drapery falls, It is a master peice, and even if you have heard it over and over like I have I still love it , My band covers it. I enjoy singing the growling vocals, very emotional song the drapery is.