Poll: Which Opeth song "sums up" the band?

Demon of the Fall... for as much as its older and pretty brutal, it still has a magnificent clean section in it, so it shows both sides of the band. However, I think, in order to represent the newer stuff I'd go with Leper Afinity or The Drapery Falls

I'm throwing "The Leper Affinity" into the mix. It's crushingly heavy, fast in parts, great lead, acoustics, clean vox, harsh growls, and the atmosphere they so flawlessly create. Another plus for this one: they nail it live.

all the people that i've converted started off with "Dirge for November".....this song is just so indescribably emotional...i get all depressed and angry every time I play it, and then the end, with the quiet guitar, calms me down.

Leper Affinity's a good choice, though, personally, the intro riff and vocal part I don't care for much, especially when it repeats later on, which I find anti-climactic. But the riffage a couple minutes in, the acoustic bit, and melodic leads are all brilliant and should win over anybody with an ear for heavy music.

Dirge is an interesting choice, but I might go for something with a more open throated melodic singing and riffage. For me Dirge was a sleeper, but grew on me. My hook into the song was the first clean melody guitar line after the sung intro--one of their saddest, most delicate moments.

Originally posted by Cutter
tough questions, and I think it depends on what sort of music this 'friend' is in to.

if their a non-metaller, than you might try Harvest or Credence. If there into metal, than you might try the Leper Affinity, as its harsh, but fairly groovy and catchy also.

I would choose these songs, not because thier the best, but only cause there some of the most accessible IMO.

As far as which song sums up the band entirely, I would say you need look no furthr than 'When'. Its got all the Opeth elements.

Oh, my brother listens to rap, hip hop and all that stuff, but he loves the final orgy of riffage from 'Deliverance'. Who wouldn't?

that begs the question. Has anyone converted a non-metaller to metal using Opeth?
aye i have, my girlfriend was originally into that other shit, started dating me and loving pantera, now she is die hard opeth/metal in general

I must agree that "The Leper Affinity", while not good to convert non-metallers, is fit to impress ANY established metalhead.

The first Opeth cd I ever bought was Blackwater Park, and I had never heard it before in my life. I threw it in, and as soon as "the leper affinity" kicked in, I was fucking floored. I was like, 'this is the most badass thing I've ever heard in my entire life' and immediately starting sending emails to all my friends telling them to go buy the cd. I don't know how many of them did, but I don't know how many people can listen to that song and NOT be blown the fuck away. I know I was. Especially that acoustic passage in the middle - HOLY SHIT! It's played so well, it is just amazing. I got a buddy of mine who's into some heavy stuff interested in Opeth by playing that song for him, and he had to pick his jaw up off the floor. That's what I love about Opeth...

one of the bigger problems i'm having is that people who listen to stuff like COB, Dimmu, and In Flames really don't wanna open up to more progressive, melodic metal. They like the non-stop, in your face, "heavy all the time" sound