Most emotional Opeth moment

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
What's a moment in an Opeth song which really breaks you down? I mean a certain riff or passage that almost makes you want to cry....

For me, its either the part of 'Bleak' before the second clean chorus, or the "just one second...." part of 'Demon Of The Fall'.

For me, it's second track off Morningrise (The Night and the Silent Water), Mike talking about his grandfather's death, specifically, its somewhere around "your face was, like the photograph...painted white...we did not speak very often about it."

I don't know. Somehow, it always gets me...

fucking face of melinda... that sucks for him man ...... and credence too... even though i have no clue what the lyrics are about becuase i cant figure out mayh...... and dirge for november especially.... oh my the repeating acoustic thing over and over ahhh

Black Rose Immortal: "Sunbirds leave..."
So good, in fact I can't think of a greater moment in any song right now. Scary. :)

Prometheus, I really love that "photograph" part too. You caan feel the emotion pouring...

Usually, I get goose bumps from a lot of passages in Morningrise, especially BRI amd TBYF

The one already spoken of from BRI "sunbirds leave their dark recess..." and in TBYF from "Devotion eludes..." through the rest of the song to the end.

First i just want to say hi to everybody!!! The people in here are awesome and above all, very intelligent and respectfull.

...There is one moment in particular that sends shivers down my spine EVERY TIME i listen to it : its in "the night and the silent water" where he wispers "you sleep in the light yet the night and the silent water still so daaaaaaaaark....." aaaawwwww, im crying now.:cry:

hmm....

Bleak - 6:40
Face of Melinda - "I took her by the hand to say..."
Serenity Painted Death - "Caaaaame with the moooon"
Godhead's - "Thought i could not leave this place..."
Demon of the fall - "Just one second..."
Advent - "How i drape my face...with my bare hands, the same that brought me here"

TBYF - "Devotion eludes.."

there are probably many more but these are the ones that i can think of right now...:cool:

the end of dirge for november, when it goes from the clenching, heavy electric guitar chords to the solitary acoustic.... i almost cream my pants.

face of melinda.... "i took her by the hand to say" (hell yeah, soulreaper)

the end of "April Ethereal"

but most of all, the main theme of white cluster at about 3.30, when it gets super heavy and you can hear a faint chorus thing in the background

When - Mikael's desperation in his multiple phrasings of the word "demise"
The Night And The Silent Water - whole song
To Bid You Farewell - see above
Godhead's Lament - the acoustic section
White Cluster - "beckoning right behind me"
Dirge For November intro
Bleak - "Help me cure you..."

Mikael is the most emotional singer I've ever heard, so that makes every second he's singing emotional. There's your answer: every line he's ever sung. :)

Godhead's Lament - "What would they care if I did stay, no one would know ohhh-ooo-ooohhhh" (that whole section, really)

Black Rose Immortal - the majestic melody that plays under the growl vocals, then acoustically, right before he whispers "...black rose immortal..."

Credence - "I confess my hope, recognize my lonliness" had some personal applications, and that whole song is really emotional.

I think these were all mentioned, but I wanted to highlight them one more time.

i think if face of melinda was picked up by many "modern rock" or "metal" stations it would be huge national hit and sell a ton of records. just my opinion. it never growls and is just beautiful. to me, this song is what queensryche would sound like if they ruled.

"what would they care" in godhead's, definatley

whole pat before and after "the best secret withiiiiin!!!" in the funeral portrait. i could bang my head right through a sumo wrestler listening to that and not feel it.

the way nectar begins with the drums then that killer evil riff then the cool bass/drum fill. first song i heard of opeth, on a compilation.

you know that really evil slow riff in godhead's that appears twice and is followed the second time by "ahhhhhh ahhhhhhh
aaaaahhhhhh ahhhhhh". sorry, don't know the words for the riff.

the part that always gets me :

"Am I like them?
those who mourn and turn away
those who would give anything
to see you again only for another second"

the whole To Bid You Farewell, and the part in The Twilight is my Robe (5th track from Orchid) around the 3rd minute when Mikael is singing along with the acoustic guitar.

leaves me breathless every time.

Originally posted by LostInFog
i think if face of melinda was picked up by many "modern rock" or "metal" stations it would be huge national hit and sell a ton of records. just my opinion. it never growls and is just beautiful. to me, this song is what queensryche would sound like if they ruled.

You know what, I always thought the ending was a bit Queensryche-ish. I do think they rule though.
Oh well, probably the song is way too sleepy for those nitpicking radio bastards.

So many moments to choose from....

Big scream after acoustic part on Demon of the Fall

Last riff/melody of Forest of October

"Never Again..." on the Drapery Falls

When the clean guitar comes in on Benighted

Godhead's lament, the whole (and aforementioned) "What would they care" part.

I'll also agree about The Face of Melinda. That whole ending is pretty.. well, words fail me.

Black Rose Immortal, when Mikael says "and vanish" and it goes acoustic. That never fails to send shivers up my spine.

And I'll have to go with the masses, To Bid You Farewell, and the ending of Demon of the Fall "just one second.."

But really, they're all masterworks. Students should be forced to listen to Opeth in grade school. They should pipe it into malls and elevators. Show people what life outside the lines can be like, I suppose. Hah, fat chance.