Favorite song on each Opeth album

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
I'm wondering what people's favorite song is from each album. Feel free to go into why you like it (or at least what makes it better than the rest of the album). I'm not expecting anything as long-winded as what I've got; a simple list will do, of course.

Orchid: "In the Mist She Was Standing" - Although the first 4 minutes or so are kinda wierd and atypical for the band's overall sound, what follows are some of the most mesmerizing and poetic riffs I've ever heard in all of metal.
Morningrise: "Black Rose Immortal" - This song seems to me the earliest hint of Opeth's mature later sound, with passionate clean singing, and a lot of variation between the hard and soft sound. I kinda wish they'd split it up into a few tracks, though - 20 minutes is insane.
My Arms, Your Hearse: "April Ethereal" - Haunting atmospheric intro which explodes into a classic opening riff; beautiful melodic sections; overall an incredibly dramatic feel. "I don't know how or why, and I'll never know when" remains one of my favorite Opeth lines ever.
Still Life: "Moonlapse Vertigo" - I could pick pretty much any song from this album as a favorite, but this is one I love listening to on its own in addition to with the rest of the album. Deliciously heavy, but somehow also laid-back and even... jazzy. One of the most brilliant and well-constructed songs the band has ever penned, I think.
Blackwater Park: "The Drapery Falls" - Melodically pretty beyond description. Has a nice flow between the soft and hard sections. Whereas a lot of Opeth songs go into soft acoustic parts only to whack you in the face with a subsequent death metal section, this song's acoustic sections maintain a certain tension that blends nicely with the heavy part.
Deliverance: "Deliverance" - Opening riff beats you senseless, and leads into a creepily beautiful song with lyrics that match the sound perfectly. To me, this is the epitome of what a progressive death metal song should sound like: a perfect blend of gentle subtlety and uncompromising rage.
Damnation: "Windowpane" - I wish they did more non-metal songs that were this lengthy. When they slow it down, their sound is quite meditative. Everything from the opening riff to the solo to the lyrics just takes my mind wandering.
Ghost Reveries: "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" - Catchy, dramatic first part; goes into a totally chill, dream-like acoustic section with some interesting nature imagery in the lyrics. Again, Opeth on their more groovy side, which lends some freshness to their sound. Makes me think of some of Jethro Tull's stuff, only darker and more impressionistic.

Update: I think I've already changed my mind on two of these. Go figure.

I think "A Fair Judgement" gets my Deliverance spot - while perhaps not as compositionally impressive as "Deliverance", it's much more impressive emotionally. It has this unique atmosphere of introspection that I've heard in maybe a handful of songs in my life, most of them probably being Pink Floyd stuff.

I'd also have to submit "The Baying of the Hounds" as a tie with "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" - there's just so much going on in that song, and it builds up to a fantastic climax at the end, both in melody and in metal force. Definitely gets my vote for most well-written song on the album, though I do listen to R/HF more often.

welp,

orchid - in the mist
morningrise - black rose
mayh - when
still life - the moor (best opeth song btw)
bwp - leper affinity/blackwater park
deliveriance - s/t
damnation - closure
ghost reveries - baying of the hounds

in all honesty though the only opeth stuff i listen to is on either mayh,still life,bwp or gr

Orchid - Forest of October
Morningrise - BRI or To Bid you Farewell
MAYH - When or April Ethereal
Still Life - The Moor
BWP - Too hard to decide, BWP, Leper, Bleak, Funeral, Dirge... so good!!!
D1 - A fair judoment
D2 - Closure (live)
Ghost Reveries - Baying of the Hounds

It is really difficult choosing favorites, "They're like my childrens..." - Strong Bad

Reactions: Pethical
Orchid - Forest of October
Morningrise - Advent
My Arms Your Hearse - When
Still Life - Godheads Lament
Blackwater Park - The Drapery Falls/The Leper Affinity (TIE - Can never decide)
Deliverance - Wreath
Damnation - Hope Leaves
Ghost Reveries - Beneath the Mire

Orchid - Under the Weeping Moon
Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell
My Arms Your Hearse - When (really, how could you pick anything else?)
Still Life - The Moor
Blackwater Park - I'm going to have to be a fag and say Harvest
Deliverence - A Fair Judgement
Damnation - Windowpane
Ghost Reveries - Ghost of Perdition

Eh...those could change each time I listen to the albums tbh.

Blackwater Park - I'm going to have to be a fag and say Harvest

Ha. That token acoustic song on most Opeth albums makes it hard to evaluate them along with the other stuff. They're all so damn good, but they rarely cover as much musical ground as the metal songs.

Orchid - Forest Of October
Morningrise - Advent
My Arms Your Hearse - When
Still Life - Serenity Painted Death
Blackwater Park - Bleak (or any other from that album)
Deliverance - Deliverance
Damnation - Windowpane
Ghost Reveries - Beneath The Mire (especially for the keyboards)

Orchid- nah
Morningrise-nah
Mayh- When
Still Life- Moonlapse Vertigo
Blackwater Park- The Leper Affinity
Deliverance- Deliverance
Damnation- To Rid the disease
Ghost Reveries- Ghost of Perdition/ Harlequin Forest

Orchid: Under The Weeping Moon
Morningrise: Black Rose Immortal
My Arms, Your Hearse: Demon of The Fall
Still Life: Moonlapse Vertigo
Blackwater Park: The Drapery Falls
Damnation - Hope Leaves
Ghost Reveries - Harlequin Forest

Orchid: In Mist She Was Standing
Morningrise: TNATSW or To Bid You Farewell
MAYH: When, Demon of the Fall
Still Life: Serenity Painted Death
Blackwater Park: Blackwater Park
Deliverance: Deliverance (lol title tracks ftw!)
Damnation: Hope Leaves
new one: fuck if i know!

Orchid: Under The Weeping Moon
Morningrise: Black Rose Immortal
My Arms, Your Hearse: Demon of The Fall
Still Life: Face of Melinda
Blackwater Park: The Drapery Falls
Deliverance: A Fair Judgement
Damnation: Ending Credits
Ghost Reveries: Isolation Years

Orchid: Forest Of October
Morningrise: Advent
My Arms, Your Hearse: April Ethereal
Still Life: Moonlapse Vertigo
Blackwater Park: Blackwater Park
Deliverance: Deliverance
Damnation: Windowpane
Ghost Reveries: Ghost Of Perdition

Orchid - In the Midst
Morningrise - TNATSW
MAYH - Demon
Still Life - The Moor
Blackwaterpark - The lepper affinity
Damnation - nope
GR - GoP

Orchid - Under the Weeping Moon
This song is very intense, with a beautiful ending and a very trippy section in the middle that I find fascinating (and which is also an incredible live moment!)

Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell
Nothing I can point my finger at - this song is just too beautiful

My Arms, Your Hearse - When
I can't get over how awesome this song is. I love the lyrics, I love the riffs and the feel of the song is very gloomy and dark.

Still Life - The Moor/Serenity Painted Death
I can't decide between those two. The Moor is, in my opinion, one of the most melodic heavy Opeth pieces, but Serenity Painted Death is so heavy and absorbing that lately I found myself addicted to it.

Blackwater Park - The Drapery Falls
It's a close competition with The Leper Affinity, but I think that Drapery is a more dynamic, interesting song than Leper. I also love the lyrical theme of it, though in lyrics I do believe it falls short of Leper.

Deliverance - A Fair Judgement
What a sad, artistic piece! Definitely one of the favorite, if not the favorite, Opeth track of mine. The part from the short acoustic solo after the second "chorus" all the way to the repeat of the first verse is the most beautiful piece of music that Opeth has ever recorded.

Damnation - To Rid the Disease
At first I liked it as much as I do Windowpane, but after several listens, the combination of guitars and the piano made me realize this "evil" track is the best on the record

Ghost Reveries - Ghost of Perdition

This song is just epic. I love The Baying of the Hounds, Harlequin Forest and Isolation Years just as much, but Ghost of Persition is something else. New realms of violence and beauty.

Orchid: The Twilight Is My Robe
Morningrise: Advent
MAYH: Karma
Still Life: Godhead's Lament
Blackwater Park: The Dirge For November
Deliverance: A Fair Judgment
Damnation: Windowpane
Ghost Reveries: Baying Of The Hounds

THe Twilight is my robe
The Night and thhe Silient water
Demon of the Fall
Moonlapse Virtigo