Best of Each

diso

waiting anxiety
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
This has probably been done but not while I've been here. I've only recently started listening to Opeth (less than a year) and in that time they have rocketed to being easily my favourite band. I'm at the point where I can hardly stomach verse chorus verse music anymore, they have brought the style of writing of classical music to metal and found a maxima in my enjoyment. Anyways I wanted to know what people thought were the best songs off each album.

Mine would be:

Orchid: The Twighlight is my Robe.
This is the album I have listened to the least, so I wouldn't be surprised if this changes from time to time.

Morningrise: Blackrose Immortal
True this song is fairly drawn out and perhaps has sections that arent brilliant, however there are moments of magic in this song unparalled by nearly any song I've ever heard. This riff at 9:45 is oh so golden.

MAYH: April Ethereal
The song that started the whole journey for me. The riff that specifically realized Opeth's brilliance for me was the shear awe of the riff at 6:07. My jaw hit the floor and a shiver ran down my spine and I've been an opeth junky ever since. I find myself bellowing "THE RAIN WAS WAVING GOODBYE" subconsciously.
very close second was when, also pure gold.

Still Life: Godhead's Lament
Probably the easiest decision amongst the albums. I think godhead's is easily the best song on SL and probably top 3 of all opeth songs. Perhaps the finest mix of heavy and clean sections. The heavy intro perfectly leads into the beautiful acoustic middle section which climaxes to the heavy ending.

Blackwater Park: Bleak
Very tough decision between bleak and drapery falls, but in the end the unparalled acoustic riff at 5:20 and the mind numbing glory of the riff at 6:40 which nearly buckled my knees when I first heard it, sealed the deal.

Deliverance: Master's Apprentices
Another tough choice, I've been listening to this album alot lately and my preference has been flopping about like a fish out of water. I adore the heavy riff at 2:33 and I love the brutality of the beginning contrasted against the very soft middle section.

I'd also mention while these songs are my choices for best song of an album. I tend to listen to the albums as a whole and enjoy every bit of it.

Orchid: In Mist She Was Standing
Hard choice here...with Forest Of October and all...but I just can't skip over this song everytime I put in the cd...and that makes it awesome, great harmonys and excellent vocal parts by Mikael.

Morningrise: Black Rose Immortal
Very very hard to choose here...but I'm gonna go with Black Rose, simply because it's so awesome :-D and it rules..

MAYH: April Ethereal
When I first heard the "The rain was waving goodbye" vocal part, I just fell in love with this song and I've loved it ever since, God bless it

Still Life: White Cluster
Great tune, I love the verse riff and the acoustic breakdown of this song, it's just way too cool

Blackwater Park: Bleak
This song is just awesome, the clean vocals in this are one of my favortive from Opeth and I just love it

Deliverance: A Fair Judgement
Love the lyrics, love the song, It is probably one of my favortive Opeh songs overall I just love the breakdown fingerpickin' part with Mikael and the riff before that...gotta love it

Oh, I guess I was supposed to explain...

-----------------------

In Mist
Advent
Demon
Serenity Painted Death
The Drapery Falls
Wreath

1. In Mist - I feel like this one flows the best on Orchid. I feel like the others don't have the smoothness this song has, (except for Silhouette...but that doesn't count) even though I listen to Forest of October more...I think the guitars played a big part in my choosing...one day I'll learn both guitar parts....I love the cheeseball lyrics on Orchid

2. Advent- tough choice, but I had to pick one...this song has so many bad ass riffs in it...

3. Demon - Yet another tough choice...I used to not really dig this song, or this whole album too much, and then I started to realize that it sounds just like Still Life (duh, they were recorded at the same studio....) This is my favorite song to play guitar too on this album, however April Ethereal has the best outro...

4. Serenity - I really should've put Godhead's Lament on here, which is like top 5 definitive Opeth, but Serenity Painted Death is also up there...too many good parts in this song..."White Face/Haggard Grin"....a definite "get the fuck out of here" riff.

5. DRapery- Every song on this album is a ten on a scale of ten, but Drapery Falls is the song that started it all for me, so it's my obvious choice....Top 5 most epic songs ever...

6. Wreath - just for the vocal explosions...."HUMAN...HARVEST...BURNING"
"DISTORTED FAITH IN MY...SEEEEELLLLLLFFF...." (get the fuck outta here!)

(also keep in mind that list would change everyday...)

Orchid: Forest Of October

This is a massive epic peice, with some of the greatest riffs opeth have ever done. Even though It isn't anywhere near as long as BRI, I find that this song feels twice as long as it is due to it's content, and the way it flows. Some of the bands best solos are also present. I just love this song. My favorite song on ym favorite album.

Morningrise: Advent

Advent is my fav on this album by a long shot. Again the song has an amazing flow, and the lyrics are a HUGE step up compared to the orchid lyrics. I also love the way the song ends, with the quiet ending that kinda dwindles off. There is a real feeling of completeness. And again, the lyrics in this song blow me away.

My Arms Your Hearse: Amen Corner

This song has an awesome heavy riff, and the offbeat in the middle.. is really cool. Not much to say, but I just love this whole song, as underated as it is.

Still Life: Serenity Painted Death

This is the best story telling song I have ever heard. Every section of the song portrays the emotions of the character perfectly, his dispair, his anger, and hiscalcuclated revenge and murderous rampage. And then the sudden cut off at the end of the song is perfect. Cut off, flatline, just like death.

Blackwater Park: Blackwater Park

An awesome introductory riff blasts this epic number off, only to fall into a quiet serene accoustic section which gives a false sense of tranquility which is knocked off it's feet by the following 8 minutes of some of the heaviest riffs opeth have ever done. And the climax of this song is only second to that OF BRI. The sun sets forever over blackwater park.

Deliverence: Deliverence

Well DUH! Easily the best on the album. B\oth very technical, and unique. The rather strange ending stands out, as does the perfect transitions from heavy to soft back to heavy...

Damnation: FUCK I CANT WAIT!

I've been obssessed with Opeth for only a few months, but here are mine:

Orchid: "Twilight," 'cause it has one of my favorite acoustic Opeth breakdowns. But I've listened to this disc the least and there's still much more to discover, I'm sure.

Morningrise: At first it was "Advent"; the fretless bass lick hooked me. But lately "Night & Silent Water" has emerged as a moving, cohesive whole, with a chilling climax. The melodies and harmonies are sweeping, stirring, touching. BRI still sits uncomfortably with me; brilliant moments mix with pedestrian; the while thing has yet to click. But so many people love it, I may be seduced someday...

MAYH: Have to go with "Demon." The chorus goes into the Great Metal Moment record book. The whole disc blends into one mighty behemoth. As with all Opeth albums, every individual track deserves a fist in the air.

Still Life: "The Moor" baby. Diverse, satisfying beginning to end. My first Opeth moment. Jaw, meet floor. "Godhead" & Moonlapse" vie for a close second.

BWP: Gotta go with "Bleak." You know why.

Deliverance: "Fair Judgement" all the way; a masterpiece on par with "Bleak" & "Drapery Falls." Title track has great first third and last third, but middle section not as compelling ("It always burns within..."). "Master's" boasts vivid contrast between brutal and beautiful, almost to a comical extent. I mean, take, the "ahh" section out of its dark context and wouldn't it sound cheesy? Morbid Angel, meet the flower children? Fine by me. "Pain" is solid overall, and the organ part goes in the record books too; I hope they explore this direction in the future.

-In The Mist.

-Advent. This was not an easy call.

-WHEN, motherfuckers, WHEN~! It starts off all peaceful, then punches you in the face. What more can you ask for?

-Moonlapse Vertigo. I've been digging Serenity Painted Death and Godhead's Lament lately, but the Moonlapse death scream at 2:36 is too awesome to be ignored. And the opening riff.

-Bleak, it was the best live song at the Toronto concert and it was already my favorite before then. Leper Affinity is close.

-Master's Apprentices.

Orchid - The Apostle in Triumph
Morningrise - Advent
MAYH - Demon of the Fall
Still Life - Moonlapse Vertigo
BWP - BWP
Deliverance - Deliverance

both of the title tracks really kick my ass, maybe my #1&2 all-time favorites.

Morningrise - Black Rose Immortal, just ahead of Advent and To Bid Your Farewell. The first 8 minutes are good, and the rest is classic...

MAYH - Credence, because I am obsessed with it. I love every song on that album though

BWP - The Leper Affinity, 'cause of all the great riffs. I love The Drapery Falls, also

Deliverance - A Fair Judgement, just ahead of Deliverance, 'cause of the amazing middle section.

Orchid - Forest of October
Morningrise - Advent
My Arms Your Hearse - Demon of the Fall (song that got me into Opeth)
Still Life - Serenity Painted Death
Blackwater Park - Funeral Portrait/Blackwater Park...I can't decide
Deliverance - Master's Apprentices (Changes in it are excellent)

keep em coming, its great to see why everyone prefers what, makes me feel like reviewing their selections.

Orchid-Forest of October (It rules just slighty higher than the entire album)
Morningrise-To Bid You farewell (never much cared for Advent or Nectar)
MAYH-Demon of the Fall (Mike has some creep distorted vocals on this)
Still Life-Godhead's Lament (love that melody!)
Blackwater Park-The Leper Affinity (BARELY beats out Bleak)
Deliverance-Deliverance (BARELY beats out Master's Apprentice)

*edit* Post 333!! :devil:

Orchid - The Twilight Is My Robe
The skill on this track is by far the best on the album.

Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell
An epic track, plus I never cared much for Advent either.

MAYA - Credence
A beautiful track, one that holds the entire album together.

Still Life - White Cluster
An amazing track, nuff said.

Blackwater Park - Bleak/The Drapery Falls
ARGH! Cannot seperate.

Delieverance - A Fair Jugdement
pwns.

Damnation - I DONT CARE JUST GIMME A FUCKING COPY! AEEEEIIIIIII!

Orchid-The Apostle In Triumph(Hence the screenname!)
Morningrise-Black Rose Immortal
My Arms, Your Hearse-When(They NEED to play this one live sometime!)
Still Life-White Cluster
Blackwater Park-The title track...12 minutes of pounding fucking METAL!
Deliverance-Master's Apprentices( I would have liked this one live also, but A Fair Judgement was fantastic so...)