Best segment on each opeth album...

JPtheBored

homicidal MANIAC
Nov 8, 2001
666th basement of Hell
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post on this board...

I decided to join since I heard that this is the best opeth board and that opeth is pretty much my favorite band (maybe along with Slayer which I'm seeing in 2 days for the first time:loco:).

So my question is what is your favorite moment on each opeth album. I know all albums rule from beginning to end but I'm sure there's one segment that gives you that feeling in the spine (or maybe I'm just insane:loco:). Anyway here are mine:

Orchid: the ending of in mist she was standing or the ending of the twilight is my robe

Morningrise: the riff where the singing starts in the night and the silent water or the last minute of to bid you farewell

MAYH: CREDENCE!

Still life: When the distorsion enters in the face of Melinda or perhaps the clean part in Godhead's lament

Blackwater Park: «And you are just like them all...stained by the names of father» in the funeral portrait

Well that's pretty much it.

I don't have Orchid because I couldn't find it in any music store around where I live for about a year, and finally when someone has it, I'm out of money.

Morningrise- The bass solo in Advent

MAYH- That part in Demon of the Fall where Mikael repeats "Demon! Demon of the Fall!

Still Life- The part after the insane part in Serenity Painted Death. It's really emotional.

BWP- "Sick liasons raised this monumental mark. The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park"

Orchid - The mad bass solo (you know which one i mean...)
Morningrise- distort part of to bid you farewell
MAYH - all of when
Still life- probably face of melinda
BWP - the second or third riff in funeral portrait KICKASS

Originally posted by Metal Martyr

BWP- "Sick liasons raised this monumental mark. The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park"

That's an incredible moment isn't it. The power at the end of that song is phenomenal.

Orchid: Ending of The Apostle in Triumph

Morningrise: Beginning of Night and the Silent Water and Black Rose Immortal - "Sunbirds leave their dark recesses"...that whole part

MAYH: April Ethereal solo (plus a few other parts of the song), ending of Demon of the Fall, Epilogue

Still Life: Too many...beginning of The Moor, various parts of Godhead's Lament, the part in SPD where it breaks down and becomes "evil", and the solo that follows

BWP: Piano outro on The Leper Affinity, beginning of Bleak, Funeral Portrait solo and outro, beginning and end of Blackwater Park

Orchid: Forest of October... when it goes clean and then the double bass drums come in! that's killer!

Morningrise: the part of Advent where it goes " You were beyond all help..."

MAYH: "Once inside, I heard whispers in the parlor..."
All the way to the end of When!

Still Life: ALL of Moonlapse Vertigo.

BWP: Leper Affinity! All of it!!

This is an impossible task. :D I actually sat down to listen to them and pick my favorite parts -- IMPOSSIBLE, I TELL YOU! I'd be writing all day and night (some might argue I already do). :p

And welcome.

Like Lina, this question is impossible for me to answer.

And welcome to the board by the way, try not to get mud on the new carpet :D.

yeah! this is to hard... my brain will go to owerload if i trye :D

it is just so much that is so great!

but maybe to bid you farwell, awsome song!

My choices for best parts:

Orchid - The ending of Apostle in Triumph (it's so relieving - the whole anguish the song has carefully built in me is just washed away during those last two minutes)

Morningrise - The ending of Nectar (mad bass indeed)

MAYH - The ending of When (I just love great song-endings)

Still Life - "Still I plotted to have her back..." in Face of Melinda (perfect song for selfpity-moments)

Blackwater Park - The part in Bleak where the clean vocals abruptly change into a scream near the end (send chills down my spine every time!)

-Villain

Alrighty, off the top of my head...

Orchid - The bass solo-ette in the middle of The Twilight is My Robe

Morningrise - The buildup and climax of Black Rose Immortal, i.e. from "eyes attach to your mute portrait" to the title line

MAYH - The clean melody in Karma, 2 1/2 minutes in, or so (I think)

Still Life - Godhead's Lament, the whole part from "Searching my way to perplexion" to "what would they care if I did stay"

BWP - Leper - "your body is mine to avail, such a tragic sight you are..." and the riff that follows.

• Orchid: Mist outro & The birds of the suns separates/ these dark clouds/ ... in Twilight
  • Morningrise: clean vox in BRI
  • MAYH: Credence & Epilogue
  • Still Life: Moor intro
  • BP: Bleak intro

Of the three albums I have so far...

Morningrise - Pretty much all of it, but maybe the riff in Advent under "It was all true..."

Still Life - Face of Melinda, possibly the saddest song EVER

Blackwater Park - The start of Bleak

Just a couple additions here:

Orchid: about 2:00 into The Twilight is my Robe, where the vocals switch from clean to death and the electric guitars start. "Unto you I whisper; the wildest dreams; in the coldness of night."

BWP: 1:55 into BWP. You know what I'm talking about. This riff is so dreadfully apocalyptic that everytime I hear it I want to look out the window just to make sure the world is still there. "Confessor; of the tragedies in man; lurking in the core of us all"

What Lina said...uhm...wrote....

Pluss, I can listen to one song and
think that some segments of that
song is the best I have EVER heard,
then another song comes on and I'm
changing my mind thinking that's the
best song...then another track comes
on and I change my mind AGAIN!...
It's an impossible task....>:eek:P

Blackspirit: I do the same thing! Every time I listen, I think "Damn! This is the best part!" and then it's immediately supplanted by the next..

Though, the slow solo in The Forest of October really gets me every time. It's my current little Opeth obsession. :p

Ok here we go!

Orchid: The "aaahhhhh" part in The Apostle in Triumph

Morningrise: This is hard but I would say the part where Mikael sings "We survey the SSSSSLLLOOOOPPPPEEESSS" in a clean tone with all of the vocal harmonies!

MAYH: The AAAHHH at the beginning of April Ethereal. Though that is too short I would also add just about all of When. :D

Still Life: The HEAVY part in Serenity Painted Death, with the pinch harmonics and what not.

Blackwater Park: «And you are just like them all...stained by the names of father» in the funeral portrait

HELL YES!!!!!!! I agree here!!!

buried harmonies make me orgasm: my real joy is the lower-pitched riffs that usually follow a guitar solo and a drum break.

exempli gratia : in "april ethereal," the riff they play right before mikael comes in with "twas a token of ebony color!"

also, in "face of melinda," when they start up with the second theme and "i took her by the hand to say...."

another favorite, and possibly my favorite of all the opeth riffs is at about 3.30 in "white cluster" where they gradually add voices in the background and the drums get progressively heavier. that's a heavenly moment.

in blackwater park, during "dirge for november" (does everybody hate this song but me?), in the second section (pre-vocals but post-acoustic, where the third layer of guitar rises above the normal two.

mmm, good question :)

Orchid - Silhouette

Morningrise - The little interlude on Silent Water - "Am I like them.."

MAYH - Demon Of The Fall :D specifically "silent dance.. " thru "she turned around.."

Still Life - tough call.. either the clean part of Godhead Lament or the end of Face of Melinda (distorted guitars + clean vox)

Blackwater Park - the end of Drapery - "Spiraling to the ground..."