Let's get Opeth some airplay on XM!

Factorplayer

Nov 28, 2005
I've subscribed for XM for over a year now and have yet to hear a single Opeth tune. This irks me to no end (even though I have all their albums on my iPod and can queue them up in an instant).

Now the reason I have XM is to hear a wide variety of quality music much of which FM would never touch. And I've heard stuff a lot more left-of-center than Opeth, so I don't see any reason they are not getting airplay on satellite radio. I don't have Sirius though (which seems to have a better rock selection), if anyone has heard them on Sirius let me know.

There are 3 channels I think Opeth would fit in with, and here are their respective customer email addresses. If you think Opeth should be on XM like I do please let them know!

Channel 41-The Boneyard. Mainly hair metal sadly, but it is the designated heavy metal channel for XM.

boneyard@xmradio.com
866.315.BONE (toll-free)
(866.315.2663)

Channel 48-Squizz. Nu-metal and such, much of which I find distasteful. However since channel 42 Liquid Metal, the designated death-metal channel, was cancelled (3 weeks after I got XM too! motherfuckers....) much of the extreme content was shifted to Squizz.

squizz@xmradio.com
866.6SQUIZZ (toll-free) (866.677.8499)

Channel 51-Music Lab. Progressive Rock and Metal, which I think is the most appropriate place for Opeth in this context. Definitely my most-played channel on XM but unfortunately also includes jam-bands so during extended Phish airplay I have to switch channels. Otherwise excellent.

musiclab@xmradio.com

So if any of you music lovers out there subscribe to XM, which is pretty good for the most part and definitely blows away FM, make sure they know we need to hear some Opeth!

Xm sucks dick. On Direct TV, they used to have Music Choice Channels and the Metal Music Choice Channel was awesome. They even played Opeth from time to time. But a month ago, they took out Music Choice and replaced it with XM. We don't even get Metal anymore. So now I hardly ever turn on the TV. :(

xXBraveMurderDay said:
Xm sucks dick. On Direct TV, they used to have Music Choice Channels and the Metal Music Choice Channel was awesome. They even played Opeth from time to time. But a month ago, they took out Music Choice and replaced it with XM. We don't even get Metal anymore. So now I hardly ever turn on the TV. :(

Same thing I posted a month ago, hehe.

I'll have to check out the Bone Yard, I pretty much gave up on DTV music after the Metal channel got removed, and XM radio does seriously suck. Who's going to listen to a radio where the channels are named after kittens? Not me. You hate to select each channel, wait for the description to load, just to find out it is something gay. :D

OMG the metal channel got removed!?!?!?!?! I was thinking of getting direct tv JUST for that, and now that my hopes are let down, I do believe all of existance shall implode. Or maybe they'll just suck giant donkey nuts! The metal community just got pwn3d.

Yeah, 817 (or was it 816?) is gone. The XM replacements are terrible. That boneyard channel is bad. I heard Dream Theater - The Mirror once, and that's the best it's been. Almost entirely hair metal.

I'm pretty sure Sirius is much better anyway. Isn't that where some of the new songs were first heard?

You can still hear Liquid Metal on XMs internet site. Even when they broadcast it to regular satellite receivers though they never played Opeth (except the 2 times I requested them, and both times it was DotF).

Besides that noticeable metal hole in their channel lineup, XM is still very cool and plays shit never ever heard on commercial radio.

BTW, Opie and Anthony > Ron and Fez. Its not even close.

KeithRT99 said:
Xm is terrible for metal, squizz is crap. The best thing on Xm is ron and fez.

Obviously then, your feedback is badly needed at XM. I agree that metal in general blows on XM. The only way it will change is if we tell them. So don't bitch here, take it to them.

Already have XM in my car. Seeing if I can put Sirius in there too (using a Sirius tuner and plugging it into the auxillary input on my Pioneer head unit), just for their metal station and Howard.

I just subscribed to Sirius; on Hard Attack (27), Opeth's Ghost of Perdition is in regular rotation, and they have an Opeth interview special (with Ian Christe) that they play every couple of weeks or so. I think Opeth made their top 27 of 2005 as well; fairly high too, though I don't remember where on the list it was.

I find they play a lot of metalcore, but they toss in the odd old school track which makes the station very interesting. You hear a lot of Chimaira, Machine Head, Unearth, etc., but then you'll hear a classic Black Sabbath track (I heard Rat Salad the other night) or even Mercyful Fate. Think about that one -- Mercyful Fate on the radio.... weirdness

Only issues with Sirius are: sound quality is less than XM, and device selection isn't as good.

Cheers