What would you call Opeth?

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Progressive Metal

See, when I hear Prog Metal though, I think of bands like Fates Warning, Dream Theater, etc... with those Castrati Opera singers who sing above Mariah Carey. Usually something to do with their missing balls.

Isn't Mikael a baritone singer? He sounds like he's below Tenor...

illbeleavinnow said:
Wouldn't they be more like the Pink Floyd of the death metal world?

Possibly in some aspects. But Pink Floyd never really had any out and out ROCK songs. Just about all their stuff was pretty laid back, although they could get QUITE heavy at times. But I think Opeth is a bit more aggressive, so that's why I'd stick to the 'Zep comparison.

Like I said though, it's still a bit off I think.

Maharet said:
and really, what is Forest metal?
Katatonic289 said:
opeth definately arent forest metal. bands like empyrium are forest metal (i think they made up the name).
the closest thing (it has been argued down to in the past) is melodic death metal.
OPETH have been described as "forest metal", I've noticed that some other bands (like DAWN, interviewed within these pages - Cd) use that description. This seems to fit OPETH as the music is hard to pin down, much like the term "forest metal."
Hrmm... It was actually Jonas from OCTOBER TIDE who came up with that description. It was only meant as a joke when he desperately tried to catagorize the sound of OPETH. When you mention it, it is really a better description on our sound than death/black metal. Our music is a great tribute to the deep & mystic woods. We speak the words of the entity that hides in the trees! I have not heard of that band called DAWN. Actually, I think it is pretty embarrassing how bands try to label themselves. "Cool" catagories like "wind metal" will soon exist. OPETH is just some kind of strange metal, that's all!

This is from an old interview with Åkerfeldt which I read years ago. I remembered correctly the forest metal part... :D

I'm not arguing. I really don't care how to categorize Opeth. Just letting you know where I got the "Forest Metal" from...

http://b2b.jeffro.net/archive/opeth/interview2.html

skyshock1 said:
See, when I hear Prog Metal though, I think of bands like Fates Warning, Dream Theater, etc... with those Castrati Opera singers who sing above Mariah Carey. Usually something to do with their missing balls.

Isn't Mikael a baritone singer? He sounds like he's below Tenor...
"Progressive" isn't defined by the range of the singer. You aren't prog if you sound like an existing band. In fact, being a Dream Theater clone makes you less progressive. To be genuinely progessive, a band has to be original and their sound has to be changing with each album. Two bands can sound totally different and still both be prog.