What is Opeth?

Orchid and Morningrise were obviously forest metal, but the newer stuff? harder to categorise.

I think Progressive Extreme Metal is a good term because it leaves a lot of room for diversity.

"Progressive" implies unconventional elements such as incorporating many different styles into its fundamental genre, a different approach to structuring songs, odd instruments and effects etc.

Then "Extreme Metal" is an umbrella term for all forms of metal that aren't shit - I think this is the most accurate term for a such diverse band in that it isn't very specific but still implies what Opeth is about.

Isn't Opeth simply Progressive Death?
Their albums are unique and very different from each other and at all, what makes it a bit difficult to catagorize them all as one specific genre, but I think they're officially ascribed as Progressive Death Metal.

It depends on the album you are considering.

The first 2\3 albums are more death with some black influences, then their music went more "proggy" in my opinion.

Ghost Reveries and Watershed have also some fusion elements imho.

Progressive metal with harsh vocals.

not possible, since saying that would indicate that they actually have no death metal sound which they in all sense of honesty has.

just take master's apprentices as a perfect example.

I wouldnt say its impossible to label opeth, and its probably easier than what most people would think.

"progressive metal with strong death metal connections"

yes its a long label but opeth really isnt possible to label with anything less than that which catches the essence of their music.

EDIT: might be added that you cant simple call opeth progressive death metal. Gojira is that and there is a big difference between the two bands.

You forgot Screamo Techno Pink Dance Hip-Hop (something within those lines.. you know the weird thing they posted at the Bloodbath forum..) Hox.

Orchid/Morningrise: Progressive forest blackened death metal
MAYH/Still Life: Romantic progressive death metal
Blackwater Park/Deliverance: Progressive death metal
Damnation: Sad melodic prog rock
Ghost Reveries/Watershed: !???