Just Got Into Opeth , what would they be labeled as? Even though i dont like labeling

SonsOfNorthernDarkness

Towards The North
Jun 11, 2002
Bronx New York
Visit site
Hey whats up people , I just got into Opeth , I'v known of there existence since "Orchid" but now Im finally giving them a chance and they are quite excellent at what they do. The music sounds like something you would heandbang one minute then fall asleep happily the next. What type of music would you guys say Opeth is? I say progressive.

Tommy "Chaos Ignitor"

I really don't know...
Maybe we can label them as DEATH PROGRESSIVE.....DEATH because of the vocal lines with growls and PROGRESSIVE because of how the songs are constructed (it's not a simple construction...you know what I mean?)
I don't like to label, I prefer to call everything "rock"...it's easier.

Most death metal is more "progressively" structured than Opeth...

They're not even remotely death metal, and they're not really progressive either. Something like "dark metal" would suffice.

Mikael's description: "Progressive extreme metal."

Calling it extreme metal is good, so you avoid the whole "IS IT BLACK OR DEATH OR SYMPHONIC DOOM METAL?!"

The metal side is much more dominant than the softer side, and a lot of metal has some (much less) thrown in anyway, so it's not contradictory.

"Wandering through a cold, dark, forest in the dead of night" Metal. In other words....Opeth are their own genre. This question always sparks arguments.

Hehe, mk, I thought you were referring to his change in vocal singing, and their turn of music, which everyone complains about constantly.

Originally posted by SonsOfNorthernDarkness
Hey whats up people , I just got into Opeth , I'v known of there existence since "Orchid" but now Im finally giving them a chance and they are quite excellent at what they do. The music sounds like something you would heandbang one minute then fall asleep happily the next. What type of music would you guys say Opeth is? I say progressive.

Tommy "Chaos Ignitor"

I belive a wise CPA once said

"i hate genres, i love music"