Would you be for or against...

Thorns of Sorrow

My pic is squished
Apr 18, 2002
New York City
Visit site
Would you be for or against, Opeth re recording Black Rose Immortal and releasing it as digipack one song EP, or maybe throw in some other extras into the EP. I think if Opeth re recorded BRI, itll sound fucking awesome, with the new equipment, Mikes new growling style, Lopez's drumming and Mendez's bass playing, but keeping the music entorely the same...mmmm Im getting a boner :p...anyways what do you think? I mean if they are never gonna play the damn thing live, might as well give the fans some kind of treat :) Maybe even release a few on 7" vinyl as well.

bah I dont think it would deter from their creative process, I mean it would take them 2 weeks tops, and its not like they are writing new material, unless they all forgot how to play it. BRI 2003 would rock so much, and would make the ULTIMATE Xmas gift for next year..*hint hint Mikael*

Well I think it's a matter of the label approving... providing a studio and the right amount of time for the recording and actually paying to manufacture all those vinyl's/CDs... plus I think the band are pretty pressed with the Deliverance and Damnation albums and all the interviews as it is.

I don't think a song that's 20 minuttes long can be on a 7". A 7" usually has one song on each side that is maybe max. 5 minuttes long. If it's only on 33 rpm, there will be more space, but BRI takes up an entire 12" side on the "Morningrise" LP, so I doubt that it can fit on a 7". If they do manage to get it onto it, the quality will be very low!

it would be great...i used to love this song...i still love it but i can't keep listen to it after its 10 minutes...the song turns into a bunch of random riffs and random acoustics glued together...if i were the band, i would make some changes in these parts.

they dont need to re-record it.it should be kept as it is,but it would be interesting to see what it would sound like.

Originally posted by threak
they dont need to re-record it.it should be kept as it is,but it would be interesting to see what it would sound like.
Exactly: it would be interesting, but that's all.

BRI sounds good enough IMO (not to say majestic - it's one of my absolute favourites).

So I don't think re-recording BRI (or Morningrise in total is such a good idea).

Ectoplasma: That is what makes the song so special and varied. It's what I call an musical oeuvre. Every part stands for a certain progress in the atmosphere (and song story) and finally ends with an (tragic) apotheosis.

Black Rose Immortal is one of the best songs I have ever heard in my life.

Actually, I've always thought about Opeth re-recording some of the old albums, such as Morningrise and MAYH with some of their new production methods. The albums sound fine as they are, with their own texture and feel...but I still wonder what it would sound like.

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
it would be great...i used to love this song...i still love it but i can't keep listen to it after its 10 minutes...the song turns into a bunch of random riffs and random acoustics glued together...if i were the band, i would make some changes in these parts.

That's what I think. I love the song, but it would be really great if they could make it flow a little better.

Not everything has to have the Fredrik Nordstrom touch. It's like some people suggesting that At The Gates re-record Slaughter of the Soul. Ridiculous. Plus, if Opeth were to re-record, they could certainly find better material than BRI. :)

I think it would be unnecessary and I don't think it'd really "work" when it comes to the feel you'd get. Interesting, yes, but the production and such really affects the sound and feeling of it. I think the more bare production suits the material better..... and even some of the new material, which is produced heavily, regardless of what I think, hehe. ;)