The long awaited "Would?" Cover...

Even if the AIC cover is pure shite, I'd still like to hear it. But alas, it is all up to Mike. Maybe he could set up some of hunt where there would be clues all over the site and you have to gather the clues to find the secret location of the AIC cover! :err:

Hmm I remember a few bands that finally released their B-sides after years of collecting dust on the shelves and come to find out they weren't that bad at all. Maybe there is a method to the madness after all. Besides, the album isn't complete until the special edition is released anyway. I just wish they wouldn't have to release a special edition just to add more songs to an album and have them release it in its entirety instead of pulling the special edition bit. That's my only real complaint about the album release. Still looking ahead to a bigger a more progressive sound soon.

Unless it is for liscensing reasons...I can almost guarentee that Roadrunner Records is holding on to the song so they can re-release the album in a year or so as some super deluxe special edition nonsense. Those guys are the kings of re-releases.

Opeth recorded a cover version of 'Would?' by Alice In Chains, which they were going to use as a bonus track for Watershed, but they've decided not to release it, for some reason we're not quite sure about. I have heard Mikael say in interviews that it wasn't very good so that might have something to do with it, but some people also say there's licensing issues.

I did read that Korn covered AIC and there were very strict rules about it - namely that they weren't allowed to make any profit from it, i.e. they could only play it live. So I can see that it might be a licensing thing.

I know there were many covers of the beatles, and that was a big licensing issue, but i've seen covers done on albums before for them. I wonder what kind of contractual stipulation AiC made in reference to their material?

It's not so much that it sounded shit or they fucked it up, what he said in the interview I heard was basically that it just didn't sound particularly different to the original, it was just pretty much the same but not as good as the original (his words). To be fair the guy from AIC has a very different and rougher voice to Mikael so I don't know how Opeth covering it would sound.

It's not so much that it sounded shit or they fucked it up, what he said in the interview I heard was basically that it just didn't sound particularly different to the original, it was just pretty much the same but not as good as the original (his words). To be fair the guy from AIC has a very different and rougher voice to Mikael so I don't know how Opeth covering it would sound.

I still want to hear it :p

To be fair the guy from AIC has a very different and rougher voice to Mikael so I don't know how Opeth covering it would sound.

What I've been saying. I'd still like to hear it though. I'm sure it'll be good, but wont have the same (or even better?) quality to it like the original. It wont be like Remember Tomorrow which sounded a lot better than Iron Maiden's original, imo. As with Circle of Tyrants even though I like Celtic Frost's version and Obituary's cover loads.