How long did it take...

SAW1972

New Metal Member
May 24, 2009
...before you reconciled Opeth's brutal vocals with the amazing musicianship?

Maybe others have a talent that I don't, but I had no clue WTF Mikael was singing in most of the songs I was sampling when I first discovered the band. Until I looked the words up, I didn't really know that he was a poet...albeit a dark one. What kept me coming back at first were the tastiest riffs I'd heard since...well, y'all would probably laugh at me if I mentioned that band (hey, I was 12).

Opeth opened up a whole new world to me. A world where death metal fretwork was intertwined with thought-provoking lyrics. Who knew? I didn't. What I did know was that I was getting so bored with the metal scene, and even angrier the older I got (kind of the opposite of the norm). I needed SOMETHING. So I decided to embrace a genre that I had long since ignored (and if you'd grown up with garbage like King Diamond, Armored Saint, and Venom...you would have ignored it, too).

I admit that it took me a while to accept Mikael's growling. And I know that this is not necessarily a new topic on the boards, but I admit that I needed to re-evaluate everything I held near and dear about metal before I understood exactly what it was I was missing for so long: A NEW WAY TO EXPRESS MY FUCKING ANGER. I always knew I needed that, but I also always knew that the medium would have to be of substantial quality. I'm so happy that I opened my mind. So happy, in fact, that I've researched local voice coaches to teach me to do the same thing (ya never know, I was in the choir in middle school...).

So I guess my question is: How long did it honestly take you to appreciate the brutal/beautiful dichotomy that is Opeth? Or were you just smitten from the beginning?

Actually I met opeth after listening Edge of Sanity too.....I love that band..

I was listening to metal for less than a year back then, i was into Metallica and Children Of Bodom (lill bit), but i was blown away by the brutality of his voice !!!
btw, Demon Of The Fall makes me shed some tears of amazement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbh, when i first heard him growl i thought he was one of the better ones. i didnt hate growling at the time, but i enjoyed his personal way of doing it. alot better than the other melodeath bands around atm like soilwork

King Diamond garbage? What the fuck is wrong with you? Not only has he made some of the most definitive concept albums in metal, but he also happens to be a brilliant songwriter, inspired lyricist and has pipes from fucking Hades itself.

Venom is just about as good as a band gets. Again, what the fuck is wrong with you?

And you thought death metal with intelligent lyrics were impossible? At the risk of sounding repetitive (c'mon everybody, say it with me): What the fuck is wrong with you?

King Diamond garbage? What the fuck is wrong with you? Not only has he made some of the most definitive concept albums in metal, but he also happens to be a brilliant songwriter, inspired lyricist and has pipes from fucking Hades itself.

Venom is just about as good as a band gets. Again, what the fuck is wrong with you?

And you thought death metal with intelligent lyrics were impossible? At the risk of sounding repetitive (c'mon everybody, say it with me): What the fuck is wrong with you?

lol

Death & Morbid Angel are from Scandinavia ?

Anyways, I think Opeth incorporated death vox that are a little more tasteful than ones I'd heard before.
Mike's clean vox are also very good which are an added bonus.

It's the great music Opeth creates as a whole that I've always enjoyed & appreciate.

Black Metal was mostly Bathory and then a bunch of Norwegians but as far as Death/Grind/Thrash goes, besides a little help from Entombed and At the Gates, credit goes to American and British bands.

Death Metal started in the US, yes. However, many Swedish bands in the beginning of the 90s (yes, I'm an oldfart and I was a death metal fan at the time) developed a sound that was a bit different from the US ones, and for some reason I was drawn more to that sound. And some Swedish bands, like Edge of Sanity for example, started to experiment more as well, which I really liked. Yes, back in those days I really liked both Death and Morbid Angel (and some other US bands too), but I liked many Swedish bands more. I still feel the same way.

Eh, I guess, I don't see how Edge of Sanity (outside of the song Crimson) really experimented anywhere near as much as bands like Death, Atheist, and Cynic. But ya Sweden did help develop melodeath more than anyone else probably (with a lot of help from Carcass though).

Being a late bloomer, I heard this incredible song being played on Chronix, called Deliverance. My initial thought was 'wow this song is so fucking beautifully brutal!', and jotted it down in notepad to find out more about this band. A few days later I turned on the radio & within a minute, Deliverance decided it had to be played again. After that 13.5 minutes was over I became an instant fan. Thank Chronix for reading my forgetful (lost the file..) mind

3 months down the track & now I own all 10 albums (including Camden). :headbang: