The long awaited "Would?" Cover...

maybe Opeth should cover something a little more worth while like a Pink Floyd song or something. They dont sseem to mind people covering their songs only problem is everyone makes their songs different than what they were to begin with i.e. Kittie doing Run Like Hell. I think a Pink Floyd cover like COmfortably Numb or something would be perfect.

Alice in Chains only happened to be one of the main contributing influences to Mike Akerfeldt & Co. , so seeing as that is very quentessential to this group i think that it would be rather improper to term them as "nothing all that important". Such influences can bring about the greatest essences from musicians.

Not even blasphemy. Sometimes the truth hurts. But then again, it all depends on the muscial taste of others. Flavours may vary, and depending on your palate, then your opinion should only count to yourself as we are all entitled to one ... I just happen to believe that it is a better version and will remain so in my eyes no matter who tells me otherwise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

always and evermore.

Not even blasphemy. Sometimes the truth hurts. But then again, it all depends on the muscial taste of others. Flavours may vary, and depending on your palate, then your opinion should only count to yourself as we are all entitled to one ... I just happen to believe that it is a better version and will remain so in my eyes no matter who tells me otherwise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

always and evermore.

My opinion is not the same as yours.:loco:

By happy chance, I got the limited ed. of Watershed today at Sound Pollution, literally 30 minutes after it came it. I had actually just popped in to ask when it was arriving, and the clerk was taken aback by my apparent speed.

Yay!

But, having been away, I was unaware that the AIC cover wasn't on it...but no matter. As long as it doesn't appear on another edition of the album, resulting in my having to buy the thing again....(I hate it when that happens)

I don't know if that cut will ever be released due to so much speculation. I think it's safe to say to wait a long while.

Opeth recorded a cover version of 'Would?' by Alice In Chains, which they were going to use as a bonus track for Watershed, but they've decided not to release it, for some reason we're not quite sure about. I have heard Mikael say in interviews that it wasn't very good so that might have something to do with it, but some people also say there's licensing issues.

I did read that Korn covered AIC and there were very strict rules about it - namely that they weren't allowed to make any profit from it, i.e. they could only play it live. So I can see that it might be a licensing thing.

I posted on this in another thread. Here it is again for those of you speculating about licensing a cover, which falls under compulsory licensing in the U.S. Copyright Act. I also explain why I am pretty sure this would be the same in Europe more or less.

Covers on an album fall under compulsory licensing in the United States, and due to the equalizing effect of the Berne Convention, probably the western world over.

There are no legal hassles involved. Unless a band changes the lyrics to the underlying work, the original artist cannot block the song from appearing as a cover on another album, hence the "compulsory" part. This is because copyright law only guarantees the author the right to exploit their work first.

Currently, statutory royalty rate in the United states is $0.091 for songs under five minutes with another $0.0175 cents for each minute over five. This is nonnegotiable (unless you the original artist wants to charge less, which generally never happens). This rate is per album shipped to retail. AIC cannot charge more than this under any circumstances. It also wouldn't cost anymore or less if Opeth decided to cover a B-side off a Dave Clarke Five single instead of a popular Alice in Chains song.

Now, tell your friends. Music business is fun! :D

People keep saying that this cover is on the Vinyl release as a bonus track. Can someone who has the vinyl please confirm whether this is true or not?