Do you owe something to opeth, or does opeth owe something to you?

I, like many others, owe it to them to buy their albums. A few days ago, in my high school ek0n0myx class, the teacher asked how many people download their music and copy it themselves.... practically everyones hand went up. What is the world coming to? :cry:

Of course, the band owes it to me to make more albums so I can take up my part of the bargain.

if nobody buys albums from underground bands/labels, those bands/labels won't be able to continue making music. period. rip off cradle of filth all you want.

as to the question of the band and fans owing anything, imho opeth doesn't owe me shit. the most important thing for an artist is to remain true to their vision; if they start worrying about what the fans want or how to get more fans they end up with an inferior product (st. anger anyone?). they've given us so much, and for that we all owe them a debt of gratitude.

while there's something to be said for sticking to your guns, if you're doing it just because you don't want to risk alienating some of your fans, that's what i'd call selling out.

The only thing Opeth owes me is continued good music. I bought all of their albums, minus Damnation....Just keep the quality flowing and I'm a happy camper.

deliverance, where in nj are you from?

...and taco bell is GOD...so speak not the lord's name in vain.

No one owes anyone anything. They're not being forced to make the music and were not being forced to listen to it. It's mutual enjoyment. If anyone owes anyone anything, its the radio owes me money for emotional distress after having to put up with the crap they play.

BurningSky said:
No one owes anyone anything. They're not being forced to make the music and were not being forced to listen to it. It's mutual enjoyment. If anyone owes anyone anything, its the radio owes me money for emotional distress after having to put up with the crap they play.

And you aren't forced to listen to the radio.