Do you owe something to opeth, or does opeth owe something to you?

nosferatuX

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2004
Hi there!

first of all, I´m new to this forum so I want to greet all of you people. English isn´t my mother tongue, but I hope it won´t be a problem.

To the topic: I was wandering how do opeth fans, or just music fans in general feel about musicians. Do they owe something to you because you´re such a huge fan and you go to their concerts an buy all their albums or even get a tattoo with the band logo, or do you owe something to them, because they make such great music that gives you some emotional gratification?

Well, I ask this, because ´sellout´ is such a hot topic and, let´s say most of you agree, that opeth doesn´t owe you shit, then there would be no reason at all to complain about opeth "selling out".
I don´t know quite yet, but the other day I was thinking: suppose you couldn´t download music from the net, couldn´t copy it and not even borrow it from your friends. How much would you be willing to pay for your favourite album(s)? I suppose if there really wasn´t an option and I knew how much "emotional gratification" I could get from listening to that album I would be willing to pay quite a sum. That puts you in a position where you owe something to musicians, because you´re paying less for their music as you think they deserve. On the other hand, they don´t only make music to make you feel great, but because they like doing music themselves and they would do it even if you didn´t buy their albums(only you).....

I find it an interesting question and hopefully you to!

I don't think anybody owes anyone anything. How's that for alliteration? :)

Anyway - that band do what they do because they enjoy music. Whether or not Opeth made it big, back in the mid-90s or not, I'm almost certain that they would've kept writing and performing music, just as many lesser-known bands do at local scenes to this day. The fans make a conscious choice to listen to the music, buy the albums, get tatoos or whatever. This doesn't indebt the band to them.

The fans may feel vindicated when a band they loved for years takes a wrong turn, but that's just part of life. The fan isn't part of the band - they don't decide what direction is right, nor whether the band feel keeping a sound will cause them to stagnate.

Being a fan of so many bands that have gone shit, I know how irritating it gets - but you are faced with the fact that you are powerless. If you establish your own band, write your own material, only then are you free to dictate what direction you wish to go in. And in that situation, I doubt you'd want your asshole fans telling you what you should do with your music :).

Moonlapse said:
I don't think anybody owes anyone anything. How's that for alliteration? :)

Anyway - that band do what they do because they enjoy music. Whether or not Opeth made it big, back in the mid-90s or not, I'm almost certain that they would've kept writing and performing music, just as many lesser-known bands do at local scenes to this day. The fans make a conscious choice to listen to the music, buy the albums, get tatoos or whatever. This doesn't indebt the band to them.

The fans may feel vindicated when a band they loved for years takes a wrong turn, but that's just part of life. The fan isn't part of the band - they don't decide what direction is right, nor whether the band feel keeping a sound will cause them to stagnate.

Being a fan of so many bands that have gone shit, I know how irritating it gets - but you are faced with the fact that you are powerless. If you establish your own band, write your own material, only then are you free to dictate what direction you wish to go in. And in that situation, I doubt you'd want your asshole fans telling you what you should do with your music :).

Interesting question, I agree with you Moonlapse

Welcome Nosferatu, what made you ask this it seems like a bit of a strange question

Eon Blue said:
That's not alliteration. That's assonance. Ass.

It's both. And I'm very proud of both of you for knowing your vocabulary.

• Alliteration:The repetition of the same letter at the beginning of two or
    more words immediately succeeding each other, or at short
    intervals.
  • Assonance: The repetition of similar vowels in the stressed syllables of successive words

nosferatux, cool username, and a noble first post. i agree with moonlapse as well, in that the band doesn't owe the fans, and the fans don't owe the band, in general. however, i can say that the success of a band is 100 percent due to fans, obviously, in which case the band owes the fans. it would indeed suck if there was no such thing as downloading albums, because i would have a lotttt less money, either that, or i'd listen to a lot less bands then i do now.

Not really much we can do besides buy their albums and go to their shows - If I was a billionare, I'd send Opeth like $2,700,000....anyone else....anyone...

There is a little more you can do besides buy albums and go to shows. You can help spread their music to the masses of people that you think would enjoy it, that haven't heard it. If it wasn't for my friend Jim, I don't think I ever would have heard Opeth. Enlighten others to the music. Inturn, they will buy the albums and also go to shows :)

And also, I agree with Moonlapse.

Oh, and I forgot to welcome you here :)

Hell if I was a billionaire I'd buy Opeth albums galore and give them to starving kids in zimbabwe... That way they can starve, but rock out while doing it!

Jinn said:
Hell if I was a billionaire I'd buy Opeth albums galore and give them to starving kids in zimbabwe... That way they can starve, but rock out while doing it!
Oh, come on now. What's better than some Opeth with a nice meal for the kids in Zimbabwe? I'd buy the CDs. . .and a 24/7 Wendy's. :)

nosferatuX said:
To the topic: I was wondering how do opeth fans, or just music fans in general feel about musicians. Do they owe something to you because you´re such a huge fan and you go to their concerts an buy all their albums or even get a tattoo with the band logo, or do you owe something to them, because they make such great music that gives you some emotional gratification?

Well, I ask this, because ´sellout´ is such a hot topic and, let´s say most of you agree, that opeth doesn´t owe you shit, then there would be no reason at all to complain about opeth "selling out".
I don´t know quite yet, but the other day I was thinking: suppose you couldn´t download music from the net, couldn´t copy it and not even borrow it from your friends. How much would you be willing to pay for your favourite album(s)? I suppose if there really wasn´t an option and I knew how much "emotional gratification" I could get from listening to that album I would be willing to pay quite a sum. That puts you in a position where you owe something to musicians, because you´re paying less for their music as you think they deserve. On the other hand, they don´t only make music to make you feel great, but because they like doing music themselves and they would do it even if you didn´t buy their albums(only you).....

Howdy, welcome to our happy family...we're not quite the Brady Bunch, but we have our moments.
Id have to say that its not a one way process of owing; fans owe their fav. bands plenty, and so do bands owe their fans....UNLESS of course you are one of those inhuman monsters who abducts little kids, pees on the floor in public toilets and, worst of all, does not support what they love and just downloads music - if you like a band then show it buy paying for a cd!
Sorry, where was I...
Oh yeah!
Fans of a band owe it to the band to respect the band's decisions for how they want to pursue their music, because it is their music after all, and like all good art is a personal expression. But bands owe it to their fans to remember that what they create is not limited to themselves; they share it with their fans, just as those that inspired them shared what they created. For true fans, a bands music can be very dear to them and it is just wrong for a band to rape those feelings of attachment people have the way Metallica has done with St Anger. A band should know when to call it quits rather than do that. Music is art, not just a job, and so shouldn't be treated like just a job.

IMO I owe Opeth something and they owe me something.

I owe Opeth to BUY their materiel as long as I keep digging it NOT d/l it from the Internet.
On the other hand I think Opeth owes me as a dedicated fan to do their best, using 100% of their energy to create each album. I am NOT saying it has to be my taste in music, just saying they shouldn´t sell out, and only give 50% of their energy when making an new album.