Releasing re-recorded or changed songs/albums

deliverance

ecnareviled
Aug 12, 2003
NJ, usa
www.audioscrobbler.com
It seems some musicians aren't completely happy with their work years down the road. [Aside: George Lucas releasing Ep.4-6, the way "he wanted it to be, but didn't have the technology for at that time" quite frankly pissed me off. Sure it's his work, and he can do whatever he likes, but I'm sure a lot of SW fans were pissed, like me. I would much rather have the original films. Cleaning up the sound, putting in extra scenes, enhancing everything..when people do this, it changed what WAS, to something totally different.]

Anyway, that was just an intro to the possible discussion I will present to you now:

As said above, a handful of artists/muscians aren't completely happy with their work when they look back at it. But instead of letting it be, they decide to re-record it, so it sounds better! If not that, then maybe change the songs up a bit, remix, etc., and release it. Also, sometimes re-record old albums with a new singer. I'm not saying I HATE this idea, but I'm saying in almost all cases, the original is very much so dominant.

When albums were released a certain year, recorded in a certain place, with certain people, it has history in it. You can listen to the first 3 Opeth albums, and feel the imagery and the production wasn't so polished, hence it had great atmosphere. As technology progresses, cds keep sounding more and more sterile and polished, and less enjoyable, because of it (I know we had this discussion before in a different thread).

I just think the way works were originally created/recorded or whatever, that's the way it is, and the way it should stay. It's over and done with, going back and re-releasing the album enhanced or re-recorded so it sounds BETTER at this period of time just doesn't seem terribly logical to me. Obviously, if the record was recorded in your grandmother's basement and you can barely even make out that it's music, then that makes sense to re-record it a bit better...but if the albums or songs that are re-done, originally sound perfectly legible, then I don't get it.

Examples:

The Crown: Crowned in Terror ----> Crowned Unholy
they re-recorded vox with the original singer, who had returned, enhanced the drums, and re-recorded bass tracks. The original sounds much better.

Novembre: Wish I Could Dream it Again ----> Dreams D'azur
re-recorded the album, changed some songs, took some off, added some new parts, etc..

Anthrax: The Greater of 2 Evils
re-recorded tracks from the old albums, with the current singer, who didn't originally sing on the recordings. The original versions shit on them.

I also know that Dimmu Borgir is planning to re-record an old album..

I know there are more examples, but I can't think of any others now..basically The Crown cd spawned this whole idea of mine.

Sorry if I was repetitive in spots, but it was a stream of conscience, so I just typed whatever I was thinking. Discuss, folks. :)

i totally agree about Star Wars. i don't mind the fixed sound and fixed visual FX. i DO mind the subtle changes to the plot they made to adhere to Lucas' proclaimed hero story and moral. for example, in the cantina scene, in the original movie, Han just blows Greedo away. they changed this in the new version so that he's first attacked, prompting him to "react" instead of killing intentionally. that's not how it is George.

as for bands doing this kind of thing...
Queensryche and Threshold both re-released their early albums with retouched sound, and i think they sound better than the original. i'd be hesistant to check out a band's complete re-do of an album though...

reminds me of a quote i saw somewhere: "remixing is like admitting you were wrong."

edit: i just remembered, Dan Swanö is releasing a 10th anniversary Nightingale remix/re-recording/new tracks. I've heard the premier of one of those songs, and it sounded good, but like a different track. i don't think of it as a re-do, but more like a new song. the production on the first few albums was pretty bad, and hearing it now on his new gear and with his improved technique is cool. Dan is a bad example though, he can get away with that stuff cause he's brilliant. (or i'm a fanboy, either one). i also like the metal version of Björk's "Army of Me". as a general rule though, remixes and re-recordings tend to pale compared to the original.

....Did you just go watch that Southpark episode and decide to make a thread about it? Rereleasing ET with walkie-talkies instead of guns is the biggest load of crap ive ever heard.
Buuuut then theres the other side of the coin, where a movie like Blade Runner was brutalised to fit in with the studio's idea of how it should be, and the directors cut is far far better. Oh wait, im meant to be talking about music here....
Thinking about it a little i really dont think it is a good idea. I dont mind having bsides with alternate versions of tracks, but the thought of artists "upgrading" their songs every so often, to every little whim of theirs...no, id prefer to keep the music as it is, with all the faults that goes with it.

Just picture Opeth rereleasing their albums with all death imagery removed to capture the youth market....*shudders*

The new version of 'Shesmovedon' by you know who doesn't sound that different to me...pointless...to...re...record...i..t

AlexGuinness said:
I am still to hear the newer version of Shesmovedon, not on my copy of the album.

You're not missing much. It's not bad. It's just pointless.

Dokken released an album recently that featured new versions of their old songs to, in their words, "take out the 80s cheesiness". I heard "Breaking the Chains"-a great song actually- and it didn't work. The cheese was the appeal, not the song itself.

The directors cut of Blade Runner is the shit, great movie. Also on the subject of movies Adrien Mabien who directed Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii, cant seem to leave the film alone. Hes had the origional the version with the studio stuff and the spaced out version on the dvd. He has problems. Best concert film ever and he tried to screw it up all the time.

Placebo re-recorded one of thier songs with David Bowie on vocals and that was awesome, cuz the sound on the album version was the shit.

And the tubular bells guy has re-recorded that about 100 times, get over it allready.

If this topic was hinting at Opeth re-recording shit, i think its a bad idea (not that i think they will)

yeah i pretty much agree with you brian, a lot of times by going back and altering what they've done in the past artists take a big steaming dump on the piece's legacy

lucas lives pretty close to me back in CA. if he manages to fuck up episode 3 as badly as he mangled the first two i'm going to seriously tp the fuck out of his house.

Alternative 3 said:
Also on the subject of movies Adrien Mabien who directed Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii, cant seem to leave the film alone. Hes had the origional the version with the studio stuff and the spaced out version on the dvd. He has problems. Best concert film ever and he tried to screw it up all the time.

i bought the spaced out version on amazon about a year ago. i never saw the original, but i fucking LOVE this dvd, it's so good. the songs sound incredible, and the other footage is funny :lol:

Yeah those guys are pretty funny, the oyster scene is great. "I like to think oysters transcend national barriers" haha.

I can't wait to go to Pompeii one day, I want to get married there.