How would Orchid & Morningrise sound these days?

Ruun

German Scum
Feb 17, 2007
Germany
hello again!

so ... i listened to "the twillight is my robe" a few minutes ago, and i asked myself how the song would sound if opeth record it these days. with fredrik, per, axe ... new guitars, better production etc. i think the sound would be MUCH different, and maybe even better than the original.

i am wondering if the two first albums would still kick ass if they re record it, or if the "old sound" just makes them so special.

would you like to hear/buy a re-recorded orchid/morningrise?

discuss :saint:

Well, they perform a song from both Orchid and Morningrise on The Roundhouse tapes. I guess that gives us a slight idea as to how those albums would sound if they were re-recorded.

If they did happen to re-record those albums, I'd definitely pick up some copies.

The Roundhouse versions of Silent Water and Weeping Moon were great. Per adds a lot of depth to them. I would be open to hearing a newer 'interpretation' of the two albums. But the originals are still amazing.

hello again!

so ... i listened to "the twillight is my robe" a few minutes ago, and i asked myself how the song would sound if opeth record it these days. with fredrik, per, axe ... new guitars, better production etc. i think the sound would be MUCH different, and maybe even better than the original.

i am wondering if the two first albums would still kick ass if they re record it, or if the "old sound" just makes them so special.

would you like to hear/buy a re-recorded orchid/morningrise?

discuss :saint:

They would sound so much better. But then again I'm not a big fan of the old old stuff.

i think they'd sound crisper, but they would also be different because mikaels singing is different, im not sure how i feel about them re-recording those, i guess it'd be alright, seems like a waste of time though (if it happened of course)

I think Per does a brilliant job incorporating those slight keyboard and mellotron sounds into the old stuff. But I think that Anders Nordin still is the better choice for those two records, as they would maybe sound too agressive with Axe behind the kit.

The Roundhouse versions of Silent Water and Weeping Moon were great. Per adds a lot of depth to them. I would be open to hearing a newer 'interpretation' of the two albums. But the originals are still amazing.

Yeah, the ending of The night and the silent water was more epic than ever... possibly the biggest sounding part in the whole history of Opeth.

I discovered these two albums in 2008, and I can't listen to them more than 10 minutes. The sound is terrible.
And it's a shame, cause the music is beautiful. I'd really like them to record them, again.

like a few people here, I find the sound of those first two albums really difficult to listen to. I really like UTWM and NATSW from the roundhouse tapes...so, I'm guessing I'd enjoy many of the songs if they were redone, however, I doubt very much if this would actually be a good idea at this point for Opeth. Interesting question though.

Jethro Tull did re-record a selection of their old tracks on their 25-anniversary box set. It was a whole CD full of re-recordings but not from one album. It's an interesting listen not only because of much clearer production but also because of changes in the arrangements.

25 years counted from the debut album would mean we'ld have to wait eleven years for Opeth re-recordings ...

How come some people are such sound polices that they can't listen to the older records because of the sounds? I mean... They don't even really sound that bad.

I think it would sound more modern.
But in my opinion the production of Orchid and Morningrise is quite good. It sounds very clear and not muddy. The only "problem" for many people is the missing or low bass explosion sound. I think it sounds normal and good.

I think the modern production from today falsifies the perception from many people when they hear older albums.

PS:

With good hifi audio equipment orchid and morningrise sounds more bigger than on PC speakers. I think a collection with a few older songs in a rerecorded style is a good idea but not the whole albums please.