Opeth says Mike is leader?/Deliverence

BRI said:
Opeth wouldn't be Opeth without Mike. Actually, they would be shit. Peter can't write songs lol.
However, they would still be awesome Opeth with anyone on bass, drums or even the other guitar.

While I do agree that Opeth wouldn't be Opeth without Mike, I definitely disagree with your comments about the other members. They each definitely add something amazing to Opeth, Martin Lopez especially. Few, if any, drummers could add the same feel to Opeth as Lopez does.

I guess you could really call the "leader" or the "main man" to be Mike. I mean he does write a lot of the music before the rest of the band see's it, writes all the lyrics, only vocalist, and lead guitarist. He definetly is the main man and the one everyone thinks of when you think of Opeth. But yet Mike isn't Opeth. Their collective sound and "team" as you could call it is Opeth. Not just Mike.

I think the leader of the band is the member who is truly irreplaceable, and to do so would be to seriously affect the band's sound. I'm sure Opeth's drummer or bassist could be swapped with many other capable musicians with little noticeable changes...

Moonlapse said:
I don't understand that logic at all. So, even though Mike does a substantial amount more work in regards to the band than the others, he's not more important?

If you remove Lopez' drums, then the albums will simply lack that latino groove element. If they were to replace him with a stock standard metal drummer, it wouldn't make the music unlistenable, albeit simply more mundane and monotonous.

Obviously, everyone adds their own influence with their playing style, and perhaps Lopez the most, being the one that writes most of his drum parts, but it still doesn't overshadow the fact that Mike.writes.the.core.music. Mike's riffs and ideas are what Lopez' drum parts are based around. Mike is orchestrating everything. I don't think the band have any problems with that, so I don't understand why the fans would. That's just how bands work.

lol@ "latino groove"

for some reason I don't get the urge to Salsa when I listen to White Cluster or Ghost of Perdition. wtf.

You guys make it soun dlike Lopez is the next Tito Puente!!! lmao.

Temperamental said:
I think the leader of the band is the member who is truly irreplaceable, and to do so would be to seriously affect the band's sound. I'm sure Opeth's drummer or bassist could be swapped with many other capable musicians with little noticeable changes...
Those of us that have been to one of their recent shows can tell what is sounds like with the drummer swapped out. ;) I think it still sounds pretty darn good, but it's not quite the same feeling. But then again, it's not permanent (I hope).

Well Mendez knows more about the band than any of you, unless one of you are like a kind of Jason Bonham.

the_drip said:
lol@ "latino groove"

for some reason I don't get the urge to Salsa when I listen to White Cluster or Ghost of Perdition. wtf.

You guys make it soun dlike Lopez is the next Tito Puente!!! lmao.

for once i agree with you drip. i think lopez and mendez get wayyy too much hype. theyre both very good at what they do...but jesus christ people, youd think nobody had ever heard a good bassist or drummer before.

Personally i'd hate to be in Peter's position. I'm the drummer and i do most of the drum parts and always try and have an input for the guitars and the songwriting. I even have my own side project, Aethereal, in which i'm pretty much the sole song-writer.

I doubt you could actually find someone else to fit any of the places in Opeth.. Bar Peter. But he's a legend so i wouldn't even consider it lol.

T-Rat said:
seems like mike is def. the leader, but that doesn't mean there's no other input or collaboration...
and yeah, for some reason it's "cool" around here to bash the D&D albums, but i love deliverance as an album.

I noticed that too. It's considered "cool" on this forum to bash Deliverance. This despite the fact that it received excellent reviews from critics and fans, plus Mikael and Peter listed "Deliverance" in their web profile as being one of their favorite Opeth songs.

D&D aren't their best but they're still very good, and Windowpane and Deliverance are among my favorite Opeth songs.