Is opeth *this* mainstream?

I've meant one Opeth fan at my school of about 1,500. I've converted 2 of my friends into Opeth fans, and including me that's 4 Opeth fans. Yay.

Dangerblade said:
They are very popular. Played on MTV2, albums in the Billboard chart...

...and they are easily one of the most recommended bands when somebody wants to get into metal.
That still doesn't mean popular.

I am the only Opeth fan I know of. I think one guy has Orchid (he saw my shirt and said "Cradle of Filth is better, I have their first album."(Opeth's that is). I've gotten one of my friends into Opeth, but besides that, no one.

yeah dude, their material isnt exactly the stuff that can easily get into the popular music scene, not too many people appreciate opeth's song progressive nor have the attention span to listen to the entirety of a song and discover it, and mikael's unique growling is a big turn off for many people... opeth is stuff that grows and grows on you, and most of today's music provides an extreme initial attraction to people, and then is buried and never recovered after 2-3 months

They are popular compared to other metal bands. Popular for all of the right reasons. I don't care how popular they get, as long as they countinue making good music. It's obvious that they aren't going to become a trendy mtv band anytime soon. (it's a good thing.) I know I never want to see them on TRL or anything of the like.

Metal is popular in Chicago. There's got to be over a hundred In Flames fans at my school of a thousand, In Flames being the most accessible metal band. And if those guys had all heard Opeth, I'm sure they would like them.

I know 1 other guy at my school of about 15,000 students (college), that likes Opeth, other than me.

I as well do not care if Opeth get really popular, as long as they make amazing music like they have been.

Theres one guy that owns a store in my town that im pretty sure actually knows who Opeth are...however, since he is an older (around mid 20s) skate dude, i dont think he listens to them...his knowledge however of many bands is vast and i am quite amazed at him...however i am the only Opeth fan in my town i know of...but since i am older and dont go to school and stuff, i dont know if i am the only Opeth fan around..there could be more...who knows...
as for the BMG thing, so what...i remember seeing Obituary on that catalogue back in the day...

Apprentice's Master said:
I am pretty sure that I'm the only one in my entire townhouse complex that listens to Opeth. Where I live, it just reeks of mainstream mentality.

same here... im from jersey too, just living in brooklyn for college... but yeah, that's how it is in my town, a few people have heard of in flames, and that's really the extent of the knowledge/following of the scandanavian metal scene at home...

I still havent met a single Opeth fan walking around in San Antonio or Austin. And at my school of 18,000 I haven't met anyone who likes them or decent death metal. Always the same lame shit like cannibal corpse, deicide, and dare I say Mortician!! The words shittiest fuckin band!! Damn I hate them.

I made one of my friend who is playing guitar (he's into a lot of jazz bands) like Damnation and one of his friends made him listen to Delieverance, he liked it! Imagin if he would listen to the other albums? hehe

My school has about 500 people, and I've converted 3 people to Opeth... meaning there's 4 of us, buyt that's only in my grade. I think there's about 5 other people who know them, but I dunno if they listen to them much.

I don't mean to be offensive, but are there any opeth fans here that aren't in grade school or college? Seems like most of the people here are quite young...

Just wondering...

Speaking of Opeth fans at school.....I think there are 3 including myself.

One is a substitute teacher....the other is a kid with every band in the world on his 30GB iPod