Steve Wilson comments on progressive metal, Opeth and more

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
PORCUPINE TREE Cite MESHUGGAH And OPETH As Main Inspiration For New CD - Dec. 12, 2002

Underground U.K. prog rockers PORCUPINE TREE have cited MESHUGGAH and OPETH as the main musical influences for the band's latest CD, "In Absentia" — widely described as the group's "heaviest" release to date.

"The big influences when I was writing the record were MESHUGGAH and OPETH, no doubt about that," PORCUPINE TREE frontman Steven Wilson told Canada's Chart Attack. "And I actually thank those two bands on the sleeve notes. I can't really overstate the importance of those two bands on the way I went about this record. When I was writing the record I was listening to those bands. I mean, I was working with one of them [Wilson co-produced OPETH's recent 'Deliverance' album]. And it was a pleasure to be working with them, just the sophistication of the music.

"I have to be honest," Wilson continued. "For years I had dismissed metal as music for adolescents, which a lot of people do, because I was only exposed to the stuff that is in the mainstream. And then suddenly I tapped into this whole group of bands from the underground. Actually, it's because I read a book called 'Lords Of Chaos', because I was fascinated with this guy from BURZUM, that led me into the whole world. So I started listening to bands like MORBID ANGEL, some of the doom bands and eventually found my way to MESHUGGAH and OPETH, which to me, were the holy grail of that whole scene. I suddenly realized where all the musicians that were making truly progressive music had gone. They weren't making old-style progressive music, they were making a completely contemporary form of progressive music by using metal as their kind of conduit, if you like. I mean, Mike from OPETH is completely into progressive rock. But he's not doing it in a nostalgic way, he's doing it in a completely cutting edge contemporary way, using metal as his vehicle. And he loves metal just as much as anything, and so do I. And that was kind of a real eye-opener for me, to find musicians who are obviously very much coming from the tradition of the way people made records in the '70s, but doing it in a completely new and contemporary way and with musicianship that I just didn't think existed anymore."

Interesting comments, I think a lot of people dismiss metal in general because of the very few metal bands that most people are exposed to. It's unfortunate that more people (who really appreciate good music) don't take the time to experiment with different genres of music, be it metal, progressive, jazz, or whatever. I always have my ears open for new and exciting music, in all genres. I just recently picked up In Absentia (my first Porcupine Tree cd) and I must say it is amazing. I will definitely check out more of their/his music. Now, which cd to buy next??

The best way to describe Meshuggah is that they often use a lot of odd time signatures and polyrhythms over top of a grinding metal sound. They seem to tune their guitars kind of strangely as well--the overall effort seems to be to get a unique sound. It often sounds chaotic but also cool...I have Destroy Erase Improve which is one of their earlier albums and I think it's pretty good, but I've checked out the new stuff and it sounds kinda repetitive/boring.

Meshuggah are pretty good....I used to dislike them, but I gave them a second chance... Their drummer is one of the best I've heard... unbelievable. Their music isn't that progressive...but ah, those rhythms :) Their lyrics are good as well!

I agree with SW, but I don't hear any Meshuggah or Opeth on the new one. Actually having distortion turned up doesn't mean a metal influence.

Wow, that was a really cool interview/summary thing. yeah, Meshuggah are awesome methinks... I love DEI. The only song that caught my attention on Nothing is 'Spasm' though.

Anyway their music is very rhytmic based.. they'll ocassionally have a simple lead over the top or something but it's very based on rhythms and odd time signatures and down tuned 7/8 string guitars. Very heavy.

Steven Wilson is awesome. I'm as much a Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree fanboy as I am an Opeth fanboy. From no-man to Bass Communion to IEM to Porcupine Tree to everything else he's ever worked on, he's a fucking master. It's always good to see someone like that expanding their horizons.

meshuggah is nothing like dream theater. they don't have odd timesignatures, just polyrhythms. every song on 'nothing' is 4/4. guitars are 8-string.