Steven Wilson comments and praises Opeth!

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Great read. Steven Wilson rules!

"Obviously Opeth knows my musical personality through my own work and I feel very comfortable to suggest things to them. In fact, the collaboration with Opeth works both ways. They use some of my ideas whilst I absorbe elements which later on I might use for Porcupine Tree. There’s kind of a symbiotic relationship. I have so much respect for Mikael as a musician because what he does is amazing. Great melodies, great guitar parts, wonderful playing, great arranging, great ideas. So it’s a pleasure for me to work and to learn from that, too. I really have an affinity with this band, maybe because they are so much like Porcupine Tree. We both have virtually the same sales, we both have the same views. From the very beginning of PT, I always asked myself the question with what other bands do we hook up with? We never felt like we were part of the spacerock scene, although we played with some of those bands; we never thought we were part of the progressive rock scene, [as] although we played with some of those bands, we never really felt part of anything. Although we sometimes played at some of the major prog festivals we never felt any affinity with the other bands who performed there and then finally we find a band like Opeth and some others and we kind of feel we belong to this little thing which is happening: genuinely ambitious rock music! Great music, great playing, good mutual respect going on, which is something we never had before."

Mezarkabul said:
Great read. Steven Wilson rules!

We both have virtually the same sales, we both have the same views. From the very beginning of PT, I always asked myself the question with what other bands do we hook up with? We never felt like we were part of the spacerock scene, although we played with some of those bands; we never thought we were part of the progressive rock scene, [as] although we played with some of those bands, we never really felt part of anything. Although we sometimes played at some of the major prog festivals we never felt any affinity with the other bands who performed there and then finally we find a band like Opeth and some others and we kind of feel we belong to this little thing which is happening:

haha the way he sets it up, it seems as if he's about to unveil that PT is in fact a DM band.

to be honest, im VERY bummed that Steven and Mikael never did their linda perhacs tribute song for that supposed EP. That would have been a fantastic and eventual classic event. Especially if they pressed it to a cool 7" vinyl EP.

deliverance said:
haha the way he sets it up, it seems as if he's about to unveil that PT is in fact a DM band.

Wilson doing growls would be pretty funny

Don Corleone said:
hey mr samsara, are you a fan of the tea party?

Hi. Sorry, but I haven't been here in what feels like a couple of days and I just saw your post. If "the tea party" is a band, I have never heard of them but please tell me more. I love hearing new things. Also out of curiosity, why would you ask?

Mezarkabul: Where's that link?

:devil:

I just downloaded Porcupine Trees new Live album 'Warsazwa', the sound quality is excellent