Wilson-Portnoy-Akerfeldt update.. sort of

ttiwguitar

soundcloud.com/slandroid
Sep 12, 2005
Richmond, VA
www.facebook.com
I was just reading an interview with Mike Portnoy posted here today... and came across this:

The interview is almost over, but as a last question I ask Mike about the rumours saying that he and Mikael Åkerfeldt, the mastermind behind Swedish metal act Opeth, are planning to do something together.

“Yeah, he’s coming down tonight actually. Most of the guys are. I’ve been a fan of theirs for years, and we’ve become friends the last couple of years. He and I and Steven Wilson [of Porcupine Tree] have talked about doing something together. Hopefully some time soon we’ll be able to coordinate our schedules and make it happen. I think me and Steven want to make it heavy, and I think Mikael wants to, uh, not be heavy. Because me and Steven want to do stuff that we can’t do with Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater, and get to some really heavy stuff. And I think that Mikael wants to get away from the heavy stuff because he does that all the time with Opeth, so who knows. Maybe we’ll meet somewhere in the middle. I think it’ll be great. I mean, I’ve had great experiences collaborating with other people, especially people who are the kind of leaders of their bands. That was kind of what Transatlantic was about, since Neal Morse and Roine Stolt are kind of the leaders of their bands, you know. It was a great creative environment, and I think a similar chemistry would happen with Steven and Mikael.”
Should be awesome!

yea i cant wait!...im gonna see portnoy in may for a "the who" coverband, its gonna be portnoy,paul gilbert,billy sheehan, and gary cherone...i dont even like the who but the lineup is insane, hope i get to meet them :D

wankerness said:
Based on steven wilson's involvement, my guess is it will sound exactly like porcupine tree

see:
No-Man
Blackfield
the OSI song "shutDOWN"
etc

I see what you're saying, but if you throw in two other super influential guys like Mike and Mikael I'm sure it'll have its own style. And have you ever heard Bass Communion? That stuff is nothing like PT...

Because me and Steven want to do stuff that we can’t do with Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater, and get to some really heavy stuff.
doesn't that kind of destroy the purpose of PT? from all I've heard SW say in interviews etc porcupine tree is supposed to be something so open ended that's supposed to be unpredictable and not have any boundaries. so...WHY can't he do that with PT?

wankerness said:
Based on steven wilson's involvement, my guess is it will sound exactly like porcupine tree

see:
No-Man
Blackfield
the OSI song "shutDOWN"
etc
See: Blackwater Park, Deliverance

I'm sure they wouldn't create a band so that they can sound the same. Plus, one guy from Prog Metal, one from Prog Rock, and one from Death Metal will sure make an interesting combination.

yeah. and how much influence did wilson have on D&D and BWP? he was co-producer, not co-writer... and he was only over for a few days for D&D, but almost all the documentary was shot in those days.

Mikael wants to get away from the heavy stuff ??? So I guess that means no growling. I wonder if he'll do vocals at all ??? These 3 guys are a very interesting/talented mix.

I'm sure it will kick-ass. Hopefully they will do something together & share it with us.

wankerness said:

see:
No-Man
Blackfield
the OSI song "shutDOWN"
etc

I think Akerfeldt and Portnoy can think for themselves. I know what you mean, especially with Porcupine Tree and Blackfield, but SW doesn't just have a magical mind control wand.