Åkerfeldt, Wilson, Portnoy Project?

flu boy

Waffle Hut
Oct 20, 2003
Waffle Hut
Visit site
I found this on a German site.

Derzeit kursiert ein Gerücht, dass die drei Prog(Metal) Schwergewichte Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) und Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) an einem gemeinsamen Projekt arbeiten, nachdem ein Fan zufällig Mikael Åkerfeldt in Schweden getroffen hat. Das Gerücht wurde unerwartet schnell von Mike Portnoy bestätigt, der zugab, dass die drei schon häufig über ein gemeinsames Projekt gesprochen haben. Lt. Mike Portnoy ist dieses Projekt nur eine Frage der Zeit...

It is roughly translated:

Presently a rumor circulates stamped (Metal), that the three heavy-weights Mike Portnoy (Dream theater), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) at a joint project work after a fan encountered accidentally Mikael Åkerfeldt in Sweden. The rumor was confirmed unexpectedly quickly of Mike Portnoy, that admitted, that that three spoke already frequently over a joint project. Lt. Mike Portnoy is this project only a question of the time..

Do you guys or gals know anything about this?:wave:

Sorry if this has been already posted...Karl

Yeah, I heard about this. It sounds awesome, but Portnoy can/will ruin it. His affinity for bombastic nonstop drum fills will get in Steven Wilson's minimalist face and Mikael will have to slap them both. Personally, if they swapped Portnoy for Swanö, I would drool an ocean for this project. But as it is, i'm just mildly interested.

flu boy said:
I found this on a German site.

Derzeit kursiert ein Gerücht, dass die drei Prog(Metal) Schwergewichte Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) und Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) an einem gemeinsamen Projekt arbeiten, nachdem ein Fan zufällig Mikael Åkerfeldt in Schweden getroffen hat. Das Gerücht wurde unerwartet schnell von Mike Portnoy bestätigt, der zugab, dass die drei schon häufig über ein gemeinsames Projekt gesprochen haben. Lt. Mike Portnoy ist dieses Projekt nur eine Frage der Zeit...

It is roughly translated:

Presently a rumor circulates stamped (Metal), that the three heavy-weights Mike Portnoy (Dream theater), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) at a joint project work after a fan encountered accidentally Mikael Åkerfeldt in Sweden. The rumor was confirmed unexpectedly quickly of Mike Portnoy, that admitted, that that three spoke already frequently over a joint project. Lt. Mike Portnoy is this project only a question of the time..

Do you guys or gals know anything about this?:wave:

Sorry if this has been already posted...Karl
Yes, it has been discussed before. Several times actually. Here's a few links:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211145
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209941

A tip is to do a search first if uncertain.

Silent Song said:
Yeah, I heard about this. It sounds awesome, but Portnoy can/will ruin it. His affinity for bombastic nonstop drum fills will get in Steven Wilson's minimalist face and Mikael will have to slap them both. Personally, if they swapped Portnoy for Swanö, I would drool an ocean for this project. But as it is, i'm just mildly interested.

My god... Swanö, Wilson and Åkerfeldt... *cums*

MasterOLightning said:
I asked SW about this the PT DVD shoot in Chicago, and he confirmed. He also mentioned that they will have a bass player, but I simply cannot remember who it was.

Mendez!!!....i hope :)

Hey first post on here, well at least the Opeth section (I have posted on Symphony X), but I think that Portnoy can and will tone it down if he really wants too. Just listen to his drumming in OSI. But I do think that he will probably play a in a more aggressive style (Train of Thought) considering that this is supposed to be a metal project. I think that the vocals will also be very interesting considering the three, even Portnoy for that matter, all sing.