Mikael Akerfeldt/Steve Wilson/Mike Portnoy Project

Portnoy held back on the OSI albums. It's possible.

Great point. Mike Portnoy actually worked with members of Gordion Knot, Fates Warning, and Porcupine Tree on their Office of Strategetic Influence (self titled) debut. I havnt heard thier other Cds so the line up may have been rearranged, Im not sure. Another example of Mike playing with some progresive rock greats is the band Transatlantic which consists of Neil Morse from Spocks Beard, a member of The Flower Kings, and Marillion. Playing with progressive rockers is not something new to him. He should feel right at home working with Steve Wilson and we know Mike Akerfeldt can adapt. He proved it when he did The Human Equation.

Oh my god Paatos !!! I totally forgot about that band. I remember I was a sophmore in highschool and I was hanging out with my friend who went to Kent State and he introduced me to the "Silence of Another Kind" cd and my first experiment with acid. He had the itunes visualizer on his tv somehow. Better than sex, haha. Shes got a great voice.

Fun fact, the cover of Silence of Another Kind cd was designed by the same guy who did alot of the Spiritual Beggers covers, Pers old band.

P.S. - When I think of progressive rock I think of bands like Riverside, Genesis, Marillion, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Camel, Kansas, Pink Floyd etc ... Opeth has alot of progressive rock sounding moments but their very much a metal band.
Prog doesn't really have anything to do with sound. It's more about trying to break the rules and all that yaddayadda.

From the Classic Rock magazine (prog edition):

What is prog:

Mikael Åkerfeldt:
Most people think it's a style of music. I guess that's true, but you could place two so-called prog bands back-to-back and then chances are they wouldn't sound anything like each other.

Is prog a sound or an ethos? That is, is it bands that sound like Floyd, Yes, Genesis etc, or must it always be, by definiton, progressive, forward-looking music?

Mikael Åkerfeldt: Oh, definitely an ethos. It's all a matter of your personal perception. It's the mindset of incorporating ideas, regardless of their style.

Please don't turn this into a "what is prog"-thread. I may have done so myself now, so I'm gonna try to continue the thread's real idea.

Does anybody know what it will sound like? Didn't Mike want it to be more mellow, while Wilson wanted something more heavy? Do we even know it's gonna be progressive? Seeing as they're already playing progressive music, maybe they'll try something else.

Prog doesn't really have anything to do with sound. It's more about trying to break the rules and all that yaddayadda.

From the Classic Rock magazine (prog edition):

What is prog:

Mikael Åkerfeldt:
Most people think it's a style of music. I guess that's true, but you could place two so-called prog bands back-to-back and then chances are they wouldn't sound anything like each other.

Is prog a sound or an ethos? That is, is it bands that sound like Floyd, Yes, Genesis etc, or must it always be, by definiton, progressive, forward-looking music?

Mikael Åkerfeldt: Oh, definitely an ethos. It's all a matter of your personal perception. It's the mindset of incorporating ideas, regardless of their style.

Please don't turn this into a "what is prog"-thread. I may have done so myself now, so I'm gonna try to continue the thread's real idea.

Does anybody know what it will sound like? Didn't Mike want it to be more mellow, while Wilson wanted something more heavy? Do we even know it's gonna be progressive? Seeing as they're already playing progressive music, maybe they'll try something else.

While anything progressive obviously trys to stretch the boundaries of the style, there are differences between progressive rock and progressive metal.

Hey all.

I recently saw Porcupine Tree twice in chicago on may 17 and june 1. I got to meet Steve both times, and the first time, i overheard someone asking him about the project, and he said that he and mikael have been writing for the past 2 years, and they're planning on recording sometime within the next year...

to those who are as excited about this project as i am: IT'S HAPPENING!

AWSOME