Mike Akerfeldt & Steve Wilson

R0l0 said:
^ that's funny, I don't consider the Beatles to be very good musicians at all, I just like them for their songwriting skills (unless that's what you meant).

the most overrated band on this forum has got to be Caravan :Spin:

who talks about caravan besides me? and maybe 2 other people? and in a context outside of one thread? or are you just being sarcastic? :p

NineFeetUnderground said:
who talks about caravan besides me? and maybe 2 other people? and in a context outside of one thread? or are you just being sarcastic? :p
half sarcasm, half me not seeing what's so special about Grey&Pink(aside from the long track) after seeing it as one (if not the) most plugged prog albums around here :)
oh well, to each their own

OpethNZ said:
as long as they didnt become as boring as the Beatles id give it a listen

What pisses me off is how after people make such a big show of how 'musically open' they are, they gasp in horror at anyone bad-mouthing The Beatles.

I can understand what they did for the music world, but that sure doesn't mean i think they are the greatest band ever. Ahahahah and the number of people ive had telling me that "i just havn't listened to the right songs", then be utterly unable to show me anything to change my opinion is downright funny.

I'm looking forward a lot more to the rumoured Mikael with Spiritual Beggars collaboration.

Moonlapse said:
It would be nice, yeah. It may well happen, after Opeth have had their heyday and are disbanded. But I'm thinkin it'd be a bit hard for em to work together, since one lives in Sweden and the other in England.

Really...?

Blackfield... Seems to work fine with the geographical limitations.

R0l0 said:
half sarcasm, half me not seeing what's so special about Grey&Pink(aside from the long track) after seeing it as one (if not the) most plugged prog albums around here :)
oh well, to each their own

its one of my top albums. but ive often said how most people will probably not notice anything special about it.

if other people have overpraised it...i cant help that. so i dont know

Yeah, i must say that a Steven Wilson and Mikael side project would be awesome... but I don't even know if it could happen. With egos like theirs colliding on whole songs, it might get crazy. The only way i could see it happening is if they both wrote individual songs and then dressed each other's up with their own touches. Neither of them are jam-style song writers, and with their schedules, I couldn't imagine a project of equal contribution musically. I could definitely be wrong though. Also, I just saw porcupine tree in new jersey. They were awesome, but the show was stolen from them by the second band Tunnels that opened. Incredible fusion jazz, possibly my new favorite band, i got two of their cds after hearing a 40 minute set. By the way, without gavin harrison, Pt wouldn't be half as good, and john wesley is their live secret weapon (but not really a secret).

Moonlapse said:
Great! Then it should be pretty clear that the 3 aforementioned albums are 'Opeth' releases ie.

Mikael Akerfeldt
Peter Lindgren
Martin Mendez
Martin Lopez

and not

Mikael Akerfeldt & Steven Wilson.
Wilson gets credit for guitars, vocals, and piano though.

R0l0 said:
^ that's funny, I don't consider the Beatles to be very good musicians at all, I just like them for their songwriting skills (unless that's what you meant).

the most overrated band on this forum has got to be Caravan :Spin:

Yep, that is what i was meaning, i tried telling a friend of mine that the beatles as far as being musicians, arent astronomically good by any stretch of the imagination, but then again some people havent been exposed to enough music to be able to make such judgements, so in come sweeping statements hehe. But yeah, as far as song writing, they were bloody masters....its good to be able to express my opinion on the Beatles in this forum and not be covered in a shower of tears from the Beatles fan club

OpethNZ said:
Yep, that is what i was meaning, i tried telling a friend of mine that the beatles as far as being musicians, arent astronomically good by any stretch of the imagination, but then again some people havent been exposed to enough music to be able to make such judgements, so in come sweeping statements hehe. But yeah, as far as song writing, they were bloody masters....its good to be able to express my opinion on the Beatles in this forum and not be covered in a shower of tears from the Beatles fan club

the beatles were almost 40 years ago.

40 years ago, rock musicians were ONLY so good anyway. guys like van halen and even hendrix still had years until they innovated rock instrumentation to the levels we know it now and so on. They werent doing sweeps, youre right....they werent playing with their feet, youre right....they werent completely breaking any musicianship boundaries, youre right....

however, they made some very exciting, significant and interesting albums, and did quite well doing so...based on their musical ability, as well as their imaginations. THis in my book makes them exceptional musicians. Maybe not extremely technical or virtuoso like, but great musicians nonetheless. Not to mention, all of them (except maybe ringo?) can (or could when they were alive) play at least 3 instruments each...which in itself takes a good musician to do. Most musicians cant just pick up another instrument and write a song with it and have it sell a million records....the beatles often did this.

so even though i realize the music doesnt appeal to you for whatever reason...and inevitibly the beatles are indeed overrated to many of you by now...cut them some slack and maybe look at it from a different point of view. :p

yeah well said NFU, im pretty impartial on the whole situation, and i agree with your points, it can just be an annoying subject probably built up from many years of people shoving it down my throat i should listen to em, but yup i agree with ya there, and 40 years and still considered one of the greatest bands of all time, well that kinda sustainabillity speaks volumes

all of them (except maybe ringo?) can (or could when they were alive) play at least 3 instruments each...which in itself takes a good musician to do.

Ringo could play drums, various percussion instruments, piano, guitar, harmonica, accordion

edit: added some

Shadows Skulk said:
Ringo could play drums, various percussion instruments, piano, and guitar.

cool...even more so then.

i just never followed ringos work outside of the beatles...the other members i did..so i just wanted to make a safe and knowingly true statement.

i just never followed ringos work outside of the beatles..
you mean you didn't watch him as "Mr. Conductor" on Shining Time Station? :loco:
shining2.jpg

BurningSky said:
Yeah, i must say that a Steven Wilson and Mikael side project would be awesome... but I don't even know if it could happen. With egos like theirs colliding on whole songs, it might get crazy. The only way i could see it happening is if they both wrote individual songs and then dressed each other's up with their own touches. Neither of them are jam-style song writers, and with their schedules, I couldn't imagine a project of equal contribution musically. I could definitely be wrong though. Also, I just saw porcupine tree in new jersey. They were awesome, but the show was stolen from them by the second band Tunnels that opened. Incredible fusion jazz, possibly my new favorite band, i got two of their cds after hearing a 40 minute set. By the way, without gavin harrison, Pt wouldn't be half as good, and john wesley is their live secret weapon (but not really a secret).

:) i bought a Tunnels cd last night too, and listening to it as i type this, they were fucking amazing.

so, what shirt were you wearing? i sent you a PM about meeting up, but i guess you didn't see it.

oh shit, i never get PM's so i forgot they exist. Feel free to use my AIM name in case of those situations. Um what shirt was I wearing... i dont remember.. oh it was just a grey shirt, with nothing on it, but my friend i went to buy a cd with is 6'3" and was wearing a tie dye Dead shirt, in case you saw him. God, these cds are so good.

BurningSky said:
oh shit, i never get PM's so i forgot they exist. Feel free to use my AIM name in case of those situations. Um what shirt was I wearing... i dont remember.. oh it was just a grey shirt, with nothing on it, but my friend i went to buy a cd with is 6'3" and was wearing a tie dye Dead shirt, in case you saw him. God, these cds are so good.

i bought progressivity.

i saw one dude with a tiedye shirt, i guess you were with him haha.

did you see anybody with a Still Life shirt on?