Steven Wilson + Opeth

Nexis

Feb 2, 2006
obviously SW has produced a handful of Opeth albums and cowritten a song or two, and done some backing vocals and guitar tracks on their albums. which parts exactly did he do though, as far as guitar and vocals, and which concepts or ideas were his, as far as production, and further than that, did he influence and specific parts of songs that would have otherwise been different?
like the great vocals on the funeral portrait at about 7:00 in, is that him and mikael or just mikael doing more than one track?

Devious movements in bleak is him, yeah the telephone effect is him lol, the overall increased proggy feeling im guessing is his influence on mikael's writing style, any keys/piano between BWP and Damnation is him.

Okay, this is pretty much all I know...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Guitar:
1. according to the "learn how to play The Drapery Falls" the lead in the intro was Steven's idea
2. the solo in Bleak right before "help me cure you" part
3. it says in the Deliverance booklet that Wilson did backing guitars, but I have no idea what exactly

Lyrics
Death Whispered a Lullaby

Piano/Keyboards/Meletron:
The Leper Affinity
Patterns in the Ivy
A Fair Judgement
By the Pain I See in Others
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid the Disease
Ending Credits
Weakness

Vocals:
Bleak - (Devious movements in your eyes/breath comes out white clouds with your lies/mist ripples 'round your thin white neck/cold fingers mark this dying wreck)
Harvest - high vocals in second chorus
The Drapery Falls - high vocals in "waking up to your sound again"
Master's Apprentices - higher vocals in "ahhhhhh ahhh" part
Windowpane - higher vocals during "there is deep prejudice in me..."
Weakness - higher vocals "stain me, save me, take me to my home.."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Obviously Steven had a lot to do with Mike's clean vocal production. You can pretty much assume that he had influence on anything done to the clean vocals that was not heard on albums before Blackwater Park. Even if it was Mike's idea, it was Steven who was behind the effects.

If you watch the Lamentations DVD it shows Steven working with the band during guitar parts, so you can see more of what he inspired there.

Live, Per adds vocals where it was Mike doubled, but I think I covered every part that was not just Mike with layered vocals.

Knowing me, I'm probably missing something big and I will have to edit this a million times. Or someone can just say what I missed.

daz436 said:
im pretty sure Mikael did both octaves

also.. Piano in deliverance

Ooops, edited the Harvest part. I meant to say Steven just does the high vocals in the second chorus, but oh well.

As for the piano in Deliverance, maybe I am crazy, but I don't remember there being any. I mean, I know what Per adds live...but I can't remember it being in the CD version and I am bit too lazy to run out to my car and get it. Oh well.

near the end, its just a piano chord which gets played a few times as the main ending rythmn comes to a close

daz436 said:
near the end, its just a piano chord which gets played a few times as the main ending rythmn comes to a close

Correct, I think that part adds a nice touch.

is that SW on vocals with Mikael in the funeral portrait at about 7 minutes in? or just Mikael doing two tracks?

winters epilogue said:
Bleak - (Devious movements in your eyes/breath comes out white clouds with your lies/mist ripples 'round your thin white neck/cold fingers mark this dying wreck)

even if its true...i havea very very hard tiem believeing that...why teh hell woudl a badn let their producer sing a proper vocal line on thier album.....i mena....Mike woudl have no problem...singing it...also its not liek SW's voice adds anythign to taht aprt...it actualyl soudns very much like Mike's.......so why did he sing there...??......im sure the guys wanted him to sing.......but that just sounds ratehr stupid to me.......a vocalist liek Mike shoudlnt have to use other's vox .....unless we're tlakin a duet or something........that bleak cameo was totally unneccessary..!!!..........i still have a hard tiem beleive it was SW.......o well.........Ill listen to it again...!!!........PEAC EOUT

i think even when steven's voice sounds very similiar to mike's, he adds a nice touch with his voice and his slightly higher notes that those of mike.

but that is justmy opinion and myabe i'm biased becuase i worship SW. so yeah..

waz416c said:
even if its true...i havea very very hard tiem believeing that...why teh hell woudl a badn let their producer sing a proper vocal line on thier album.....i mena....Mike woudl have no problem...singing it...also its not liek SW's voice adds anythign to taht aprt...it actualyl soudns very much like Mike's.......so why did he sing there...??......im sure the guys wanted him to sing.......but that just sounds ratehr stupid to me.......a vocalist liek Mike shoudlnt have to use other's vox .....unless we're tlakin a duet or something........that bleak cameo was totally unneccessary..!!!..........i still have a hard tiem beleive it was SW.......o well.........Ill listen to it again...!!!........PEAC EOUT

You better believe it.......!!!!.....PEAC EOUT :Smug:

Led Opeth said:
its almost as badass as the BRI outro..the "siren" type guitar part
I love the siren!

Are you guys serious about SW growling on Deliverence?:erk:

I'd love to check it out myself but I have almost destroyed my ears from headphone listening so I need to rest them a few days.:lol: