steven wilsons infuence on the opeth sound??

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
Does any one agree that since steven wilson started working with opeth that he may have had quite an influence on their production sound??
Im not amajor fan of 'porcupine tree' but did like the 'Blackfield' album with Aviv Geffen.
latley with all the talk about the sound of GR, i started thinking.
their was always that 'live' feeling and the vocals sounded more'raw' in previous albums such as 'morning rise' and 'still life'
what do you all think?

Moonlapse said:
Opeth are only keeping with the times. GR's production is just a sign of modern recording methods. Musically, the Porcupine Tree influence is still there though, yes.
do you noy think it is more than coincidence that the opeth sound dramatically changed with the introduction of wilson
i know he introduced new recording methods with software such as logic but the sound from a musical point of view as aposed to a technical sound has changed in a big way in my opinion

Well there is some influence here and there... but you know what? I'm sick of reading interviews with Michael where the interviewers (at least the ones from my country) keep asking Mike how big Steve's role was and insinuate that Opeth owe everything to Porcupine Tree... Now I like Porcupine Tree and I guess some of their fans got interested by Opeth but for fucks sake: Steve's role wasn't THAT big! On Deliverance for instance he only did the clean voc's production... And every interview they just keep asking and asking... I've got to hand it to Mike that he hasn't lost his temper...

the opeth affinity said:
do you noy think it is more than coincidence that the opeth sound dramatically changed with the introduction of wilson
i know he introduced new recording methods with software such as logic but the sound from a musical point of view as aposed to a technical sound has changed in a big way in my opinion

Uhh. He may have introduced Opeth to Logic, but it was certainly not invented, nor popularized by him. Most producers/engineers these days work on one of the big DAWs. ProTools, Logic, DP etc. Moving from ADAT to HD-based recording on Blackwater Park probably just showed the band how much more flexibility they'd have as artists, and how much easier the entire process is. I'd presume Jens works in ProTools, since that's all Fashion Street has (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, I do think Opeth's sound changed a touch after their collaboration with Wilson. The influence has been prominent from BWP to GR.

Opeth do list Porcupine tree as an influence and i think Wilson has added a lot to the band with his recording methods and ideas
From what i've gathered the band wanted to do something different anyway - They wanted to get away from their old sound because it was being used so much by other bands at the time
I personally got into Opeth through Ayreon's Human Equation...Michael's brutal vocals just clicked inside my head with something and turned me towards being a Death metal fanatic but my father got into Opeth through Porcupine Tree whom he has been a fan of since they started (hes seen them on every tour they've ever done)
I can hear porcuppine tree type stuff in BWP and D&D but not so much in Reveries, they've certainly found their new sound ^^

So personally i think Wilson's influence is a great thing and has done wonders for an already great band

i love how nobody is picking apart the always prominent influences of nick drake, sabbath, ritchie blackmore, and countless others that have been part of the band since practically its conception. it always comes back to steven wilson...the guy who happened to record several of "OPETH"s least well written records but in the long run, made them more interesting than they would have been otherwise. Imagine damnation and deliverance being even MORE meat and potatoes than they are now. yeesh

:Wreath: said:
I'm sick of reading interviews with Michael where the interviewers (at least the ones from my country) keep asking Mike how big Steve's role was and insinuate that Opeth owe everything to Porcupine Tree... ... And every interview they just keep asking and asking... I've got to hand it to Mike that he hasn't lost his temper...
yeah but Mike is all about Steven in my opinion, I think he became too dependent on Steven after Blackwater Park....but hey Damnation would have been shit without the keyboard stuff that steven threw down and the sound he put on songs like to rid the disease

Wilson just recorded vox and played piano parts on what they already had written, I wouldn't quite call that an influence... He completely rapes his vocals with the auto-tuner in the studio, its almost funny he can't hold a note. Ghost-Reveries is more like Still Life and Morningrise in a way, I don't see how you could call that Wilson influence (especially since Wilson didn't sign on until... what.. blackwater park?)

Regarding Opeth's influence on PT, I have also found that Wedding Nails really reminds me of Opeth, specifically the end of Deliverance the song.

The funny thing is that no matter how much people either like or dislike the Wilson influence (which I like), BWP is a more straightforward album in terms of metal than is Still Life. And no matter what Ghost Reveries sounds like in some songs, I do not think that (Damnation notwithstanding) Opeth will ever record an album that feels as rock oriented as Still Life. The riffs in Moonlapse Vertigo are just some great rock riffs with Opethian arrangements.

I just wanted to point out two things really I guess: First, the two heavy Wilson albums are to me, well, more metal than rock oriented, in contrast to where I thought they were going with Still Life. And if you go from BWP to Deliverance, then it's progressively heavier (and subtle, using texture and atmosphere more than 12 million layers, which is both more musically straightforward and more challenging). To me this means that either maybe, and I know this might be hard to think about, Mike and not Steven really is in charge of the band's sound and songwriting. The other option is... well no, I think that's what it means.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that I think that if you put me in a room with the Opeth catalogue, which I had never heard, started me with Still Life and said Steven Wilson of PT produced the next album and had a big influence on it, figure out which album he produced, I would select Ghost Reveries over BWP without question, because it containes more of the rock vibe (most notably in the softer songs) that I got from Still Life, whereas BWP just feels more like metal than rock to me.

Say what you want, but I think that PT took a lot more from Opeth than vice versa, perhaps b/c Mike already listened to PT, but Steven Wilson didn't listen to Opeth beforehand. Wilson's influence was present in Opeth long before BWP, it's more production choices (and yes, the ever-present mellotron) than he imparted to Opeth, whereas In Absentia and Deadwing reek of Akerfeldt in places, whether it's from the big, heavy riffs, or even some of the chordal changes and atmospheres/emotions of songs like gravity eyelids.

in response to Oinkness....

I have seen PT live and i regret to inform you and ruin oyur uneeded and unfair criticism.....Steven Wilson can in fact sing! And damn well good at that!

So please lets not slag off other musicians...especially ones that are good, you're forgetting that Opeth WANTED Wilson in and its THEIR band so we can't criticise them for anything - we are just mere fans...not the makers of this fantastic music that is Opeth ^^