steven wilsons infuence on the opeth sound??

:Wreath: said:
Well there is some influence here and there... but you know what? I'm sick of reading interviews with Michael where the interviewers (at least the ones from my country) keep asking Mike how big Steve's role was and insinuate that Opeth owe everything to Porcupine Tree... Now I like Porcupine Tree and I guess some of their fans got interested by Opeth but for fucks sake: Steve's role wasn't THAT big! On Deliverance for instance he only did the clean voc's production... And every interview they just keep asking and asking... I've got to hand it to Mike that he hasn't lost his temper...

I know, I like Porcupine Tree but Steven doesn't come across that well in the making of D+D section on the DVD. In fact, he comes across as a bit of a pillock apart from the line "As tight as..."

I mean, he was obviously a good mate to them and all, but I can't help wondering if the fact he wasn't asked to do this album is somewhat related to all that press attention.

'I mean, he was obviously a good mate to them and all, but I can't help wondering if the fact he wasn't asked to do this album is somewhat related to all that press attention.'

My thoughts exactly... If Steven helped them out by GR, they would never get rid of the 'Porcupine Tree followers' label and Mike would end up giving interviews solely about Steven (sometimes it's close to that right now). I heard Mike saying that he will try to get Steven to produce an album of theirs in the future, maybe even the next one and I like that idea... But I truly understand the idea of separating ways for some time, especially that Mike turned out to be a fantastic producer himself...

And in fact, the clean vocal lines were always catchy ;) I can't help but to sing everyone of them when I play an Opeth CD :D

First of all, don´t blame SW for Del/Damnation, he was only producing and the major problem was time, the recording was rushed. I will however point out, that I still think SW is the wrong producer for Opeth. Yes he is a proghead, but IMO opeth is just as much death metal, and it is evident that SW has never produced an Opeth record as well as Jens Bogren who produced GR. So in conclusion Steven had his time with Opeth at least as a producer. And yes I would be dissapointed if Opeth turned to SW and asked him to record the next Opeth opus.