Enough of "Steve Wilson Destroying Opeth"

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I've seen this message mentioned directly and indirectly many times in this forum.

It kind of angers me, and here's why:

By making such a comment, you are spitting in Opeth's face. If in fact Steve Wilson has destroyed Opeth, that would mean that Opeth decided to stop being themselves, and instead of musical pioneers, they became the following sheep type, just like we say all pop stars are guilty of. I respect Opeth's talent, and consider them, as a band, as near to musical genious as there is (in my eyes). Anything I hear them do - I consider it 100% Opeth. There will always be people in the background offering up ideas to a band. So Steve Wilson may have influenced Opeth in recent albums, but Opeth chose this direction. They could of just as easily turned Steve down from the get go. But they obviously believe he is the guy to lead them through this stage of their careers.

Nobody asked - just my opinion. :)

Quit your bitching. Stevens values are production over musicianship. I dont doubt his ability, but not in such a unique band as Opeth. Enough is enough.

And people argue your point just as much from what i've seen. People are free to state their opinions on here, and if they chose a different side than you, it's not your place to tell them to stop.

What you said is valid, Steve has been good for Opeth. Some of us think it's time to move on though, especially given the possible nature of the next album. It's our opinion, and i don't think it's "spitting in Opeth's face" at all. We are discussing Opeth, which is what this forum is here for. Discussing Opeth doesn't mean we have to agree with everything they do. It'd be very fanboyish and sheepish if everybody said "Yeah, Steve Wilson kicks ass! He should stay with Opeth forever!".

flaminfetus said:
and thats your opinion of you think that damnation/deliverence where shitty, though i dont think alot of people will follow you on that.
captainobvious.jpg

flaminfetus said:
ah fuck off :p
Mark said:
Please note, this forum is for Opeth discussion only. Flame wars, personal attacks, and other disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated - anyone wishing to push these limits may well find their account suspended without notice.

Post_Scriptum said:
Haha that was funny

I second that!

I also agree that Opeth should part ways with SW. I don't think he ruined the band or was such a bad influence, but I think their mellow parts lost a lot of character after still life, probably at least partly due to the way they're produced. Some people love it, and it may be technically great production, but that doesn't always = the right thing for the band to do.
He's a creative guy with a great band in their own right (though I thought In Absentia was a little below the standard they set in the past, some of those songs were just boring), but it's just my two cents that he should move on to something else and they should either self-produce or get someone else (Bring back Swano! hehehe, not gonna happen :()

i think Steven Wilson has only helped Opeth. have you forgotten how great BWP was? and Deliverance/Damnation are not shitty, they're just not up to par with some of their other releases. the musicianship and songwriting talent were always there and still are, Steven Wilson is just a damn good producer who knows how to make things sound good. he doesn't have much of a hand in writing the actual songs anyway (with the obvious exception of Damnation for which he wrote the lyrics to Death Whispered a Lullaby AT MIKAEL'S REQUEST). so quit yer bitchin.

fuck guys, like i accept some ppl dont like deliverance and damnation, i dont rate them as high as other albums but blatent abuse of them is pretty uncool, like mike reads this forum and seeing all this shit would piss him off as he put soo much effort and put up wit soo much shit writting and recording delivernace and damnation, just watch the DVD documentry..... and thats if he even cares bout our opninons anyways, liek his fave opeth cd is damnation anyways

People still look at D1 and D2 as standard Opeth albums, which they aren't. Both of them are dramatically different, so in that aspect, it's hard to compare them to the rest. Some people are just using Steven Wilson as a scapegoat, it seems like, just because they didn't like something on one of those 2 albums, while completely forgetting that Steven also helped produce Blackwater Park.

Like my sig says, It's not like Steven Wilson has taken Opeth by a creative stranglehold, he did exactly what Opeth asked him to do, helped them sound better, and with past 3 albums I'd say he's done a great job. I'll agree with most people here and say I think he's ran his course with Opeth, however, but that's not my decision to make.

Darkness_Claimed_my_Flesh... said:
fuck guys, like i accept some ppl dont like deliverance and damnation, i dont rate them as high as other albums but blatent abuse of them is pretty uncool, like mike reads this forum and seeing all this shit would piss him off as he put soo much effort and put up wit soo much shit writting and recording delivernace and damnation, just watch the DVD documentry..... and thats if he even cares bout our opninons anyways, liek his fave opeth cd is damnation anyways

Like yeah, like.

Moonlapse said:
What really got to me is how he was constantly bagging the shit out of metal on the DVD. Ok dickhead, we get it, you're superior, now go get fucked.
And is that the kind of man we want running our country?

Plus he eats babies.

I wonder if he ever reads these forums?