Steve Wilson should STAY!!!

Demoke

This is the Almighty:
Oct 8, 2003
Berlin Germany

Hey guys,

I'm going to stick my neck out for Steven Wilson. I've read in other posts that he should go and stop influencing the band. My view is that the band has gained a lot in atmosphere (ATMOSPHERE) and psychedelic sounds since he's around. I think that to anybody with ears it should be out of question the fact that he's a musical genius and that he's enriched Opeth enormously as far as production quality and TEXTURE in the songs are concerned. I think "Deliverance" is a superb album and, if at present you don't think so, try to give it one more listen and wander in those musical landscapes throughout it. "Damnation," it's true it's not much up to most of our expectations. For mine, personally, it overwhelms them! It's such a great musical experience in itself to some extent due to Steven in some big part.

Of course, I love all the previous albums, but they sound honestly too raw and I dare say, old. I don't think Steven's doing a bad job at all.

As for the band, they're great. I'm longing for their next album. :cool:

i think the wilson albums were great. I prefer MAYH and still life, but wilson is a masterful producer, especially with regard to his vocal effects. Will anyone one person here try to tell me he doesn't sound cool on harvest?

I agree that Wilson has done good with the band...after all we wouldnt have that killer melody at the beginning of The Drapery Falls without him plus his vocals throughout the last three albums (not in Deliverance..i dont think)

I really like what he's done.

What parts does he actually sing on the albums? Sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between him and Mikael when they're in the same song.

I'm pretty sure that Steven Wilson sings the entire "Devious movements in your eyes, Moved me from relief..." part of Bleak, and then Mikael joins him in harmony in the later lines.

Yet another one of these! Yippee!

Wilson should stay or leave. I don't care that much. It's not like he's writing the music.

Of course, he's not writing the music, and the question is not whether he should replace Mikael himself; but he has been attacked and criticised, and I don't think he deserves that kind of critique when he's doing a splendid job.

I don't think he is doing a bad job at all but I prefer the earlier Opeth albums over the later ones. His production has always been superb and his vocal harmonies are my all-time favorite. While his effect on Opeth is fine, I don't really like the new heaviness to PT. If I had not been exposed to the earlier PT albums I might see the latest PT album as excellent. But I naturally seem to lean towards the 70s psych. influence of all the music I listen to. Steven should show off some of his songwriting talents on the next album too!