Is opeth *this* mainstream?

Flood

\m/
Jul 3, 2003
Dallas
I was surfing on the internet and came across this site called BMG music service, which was giving out a free CD for membership. I said, what the hell why not, so I went to see their rather limited selection in hopes of selling it to a used CD store for some cash. Anyways, I found Opeth - Deliverance as one of their choices. There were ~70 CD choices and among the rap/pop/nu metal choices, there was Opeth? Not even Korn or Limp Bizkit were on this list. Surprising to say the least that Opeth is grouped among Nelly, Avril, Pink, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Trapt, P.O.D., Christina Aguilera, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Eminem, The White Stripes, and many more bands MUCH mainstream than Opeth.

About time they get the credit they deserve. I can care less if they were #1 on the billboard charts as long as they keep up the good work.

As long as Opeth keeps progressing like they have been, I dont care how popular they get :eek:) Just don't progress into the evil territories of mainstream type music. Which i doubt they will.

BMG and Columbia House both carry some "us" stuff. Pourcupine Tree, Vader, Nile, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Amorphis, and Entombed. Mostly Columbia House though.

BMG has some good stuff like Syd Barret though.

Thumbs up for CD clubs.

BMG is just a music publishing company. One of their subsidiaries is Zomba Music which is the publishing company for Peaceville (and has been for years).

jageorge72 said:
As popular as they have become, I still doubt many people outside of the metal world even know who they are. Especially in the US.

Oh, they're much bigger in the US than here in Sweden. Their albums barely make the top 20 hard rock charts here.

hej said:
Oh, they're much bigger in the US than here in Sweden. Their albums barely make the top 20 hard rock charts here.

Opeth doesn't get charted in the US at all and if they do its like #897!! I have never seen someone sporting Opeth either. I see plenty of Morbid and Emperor but never Opeth. So I think they are still not popular here at all.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than me wearing an Opeth shirt, except at shows...

this being in Canada, where I think Opeth has a pretty big following. especially in the Toronto area.

Mikeal said, the shows are bigger in the US than in Sweden ... so far.

And i just want to add, that it doesnt matter, whether Opeth is side to side to Nelly and Co. or not. Because i bet, this guy, who put these CDs down there, doesnt know, what Opeth is.

I think we should think about it, if he would know and still put it next to Nelly! ;)

This is just a collection of LPs of a big company, nothing more ...