The enigma of Opeth (or…. why this band is #1 in my book)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
Paradox: 1: a tenet contrary to received opinion
2 a: a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true b: a self-contradictory statement that at first seems true c: an argument that apparently derives self-contradictory conclusions by valid deduction from acceptable premises
3: one that possesses seemingly contradictory qualities or phases

In an attempt to decipher the driving force behind the tremendous appeal the mighty Opeth has for me personally.. I decided to do some thinking. I believe I have been able to come up with the core principals that “Do it” for me.

Let’s just set the stage shall we? My life is a tapestry woven in contradiction. I’m a stone cold white guy. My wife is a beautiful Mexican woman who happens to have fire in her veins and the most caring considerate heart of anyone I have ever met.. a contradiction in itself. I have a daughter (7 in August) and a son (turned 2 in Feb.) They both have a wonderful blend of my wife and myself in personality, intellect, skin and hair color, etc… a stunning manifestation of our apparent contradictory qualities coming together to form a beautiful mélange. We actually named our daughter “Raven Soleil” Raven being one of the most beautiful and intelligent birds in existence as well as a symbol of darkness and mystery among other things… we deliberately contrasted this with her middle name Soleil which is of course “Sun” in French for balance. It totally works for her. My son’s name is Vaughn (small tip of the hat to Sarah Vaughn complimented with his middle name “Silas” which for all you “Forest Metal” folks out there refers to the Roman God “Silvanus” - God of Forests, Groves, Wild Places and Boundaries. Fertility God associated with flocks and herds. His attributes are a pruning knife and a bough from a pine tree. Equated with the Greek Pan... but I digress. Anyway, I have some Chinese characters tattooed on my forearms and have had plans to surround them with fire on one arm and water on the other as another symbol of contrast, balance and harmony.... As I type this I realize I could keep going and going and you’re all probably bored by now anyway so…let me summarize.
My life is a paradox. From my upbringing vrs how I turned out as a person, my relationships, my thoughts and personality traits, my children… all prominently feature vast extremes, which inevitably compliment each other to create a whole greater than the sum of the parts. These trends that make up who I am are manifest in my tastes in everything including one of my main passions - music. I have a wide and varied taste in music and find many of the elements that are most appealing to me contained within and demonstrated consistently by the mighty Opeth. I won’t get into the specifics of the Opeth sound or talents or style as we’ve got about 400 threads about that specifically. Opeth = dynamics and musically fit the above definition of the word paradox…. So for myself – Opeth music is simply a metaphor for my life.

Thanks for reading… I hope you didn’t feel this was a waste of forum space. I just thought it would be interesting to analyze what makes these particular elements so appealing to us as individuals and I started with myself. Feel free to add your 2 cents if you are so inclined.

Ok, then.

Out.:devil:

I typed a long post completely shredding you for your personal/racist attacks as well as not getting the real theme of my post.... but then I realized that I'm completely wasting my time with you know-nothing cretins and deleted it. Congratulations on your ascension from dolt to moron. Wait... that means basically the same thing, doesn't it?... well, I guess I should have learned by watching the "Ghost of Perdition" thread. I love the band, but their fans are stupid fucking idiots....

GFY People...

bangadrian said:
first you type a lengthy, nonsensical, stream-of-consciousness post, and then you lambast people for not "getting it" and for making fun of you

what did you expect? congratulations on your ascension from whiner to ass-licker

If you think my post was lengthy.... I guess you may have a point although I kind of appologized for that within said post.

If it was nonsensical to you..... that makes my point.. hence my lambasting people for not getting it.

What did I expect? Who fucking cares? I've certainly adjusted my level of expectation for all future posts/responses.

Oh, and that "Whiner to ass-licker" thing really hurts.

Mr Samsara said:
Congratulations on your ascension from dolt to moron.

I'm gonna steal that one.
Don't get too upset Mr Sam, I thought it was a good thread, far too deep for this (and probably most) internet forums.

btw: OMG you named ur son afta da guy in da davinci c0de LOL.

Why does this forum have such a gay moderator?

"My life is a tapestry woven in contradiction...
We actually named our daughter “Raven Soleil
”

*WANK*

I seriously hope Samsara is suspended for moderating or something after this, I came on expecting to see a real thread but I come on and he's like "you're all beeping morons"

Needless to say me, my young cousin, and my cat were not too pleased at being insulted. The cat is also young. Actually to be honest, I don't care if the cat saw it because he can't speak english.

Oinkness said:
Actually to be honest, I don't care if the cat saw it because he can't speak english.
Hehe, surely you meant "he can't read english." Speaking and reading are different. A talking cat would be cool, though. :D

I'm still trying to figure out what to make of this thread. I'll reply once I figure it out.

This thread is a paradox in itself, because on one hand you have a man armed with a thesaurus spewing a lengthy, semi-intelligent post that tries to justify him getting trendy Chinese characters tattooed on his arms.
On the other hand, you have individuals who purposely make posts whose content displays something below their probable intellectual capacity.
I don't know whether I should appreciate this tapestry woven in contradiction or just stop reading.

selma-hayek3.jpg

shes mexican :Spin:

R0l0 said:
This thread is a paradox in itself, because on one hand you have a man armed with a thesaurus spewing a lengthy, semi-intelligent post that tries to justify him getting trendy Chinese characters tattooed on his arms.
On the other hand, you have individuals who purposely make posts whose content displays something below their probable intellectual capacity.
I don't know whether I should appreciate this tapestry woven in contradiction or just stop reading.

The latter. Part of me appreciates the thought or intent in the original post. It would be nice to have a dose of seriousness around here. However, the content is horrid.

Whether or not its sincere, it reads like a 16 year old girls diary, totally overly dramatic and flowery. The cliche multi-culti hodgpodge of the enitire thing, right down to his childrens names and tatoos...

It may seem mean to flame someone so directly, especially when they reveal so much personal information. However, this is an internet forum for a death metal band, and talking about the gay naming process of your children is fair game!

Dont post if you cant take criticism, or expect everyone to agree with you just to be nice.

First, let me appologize for reaming you all after I had a couple drinks and saw what I saw posted here last night. I'm actually human after all...

The origional intent of the post was to describe something about myself that drew me to Opeth's music, rather than the other way around. I thought it was a novel concept and you guys may run with it.

Although I am compelled to answer every single insult in kind.... I've already grown tired of dipping into the thesaurus to come up with new words to do so. This is the internet. You folks don't have a clue who I am. I open up and share a bit and this is what I get for my efforts. I didn't expect anyone to "Agree" with me... I don't even know what there is to agree with? The post is about me.. your posts should have been about yourselves. I've had these tattoos on my arms for over 10 years.... Jesus. I mean, I know as I type this I am totally wasting my time... but I can't help myself. I really was just trying to add something of substance and it seems all I did was give you something to bitch about instead of Roadrunner. Believe me, I'm not exactly crying about this, but the majority of responses were dissapointing to say the least. How ironic that I will probably end up deleting my own thread because it looks like I was trolling... it's pretty funny actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.