Opeth - Live, or studio band?

How about Dream Theater? I think they do both. They are a studio band and a live band in, my opinion.

(maybe a little bit more studio)

Riel said:

the lamentations dvd documentary could explain in detail better then i could, but basically they were having a lot of trouble in the studio, due to older equipment, and such, so they moved to another studio and they claimed it to be one of the worst experiences ever. of course, they're happy with the result of the 2 albums. check out the dvd.

Interesting thread - I think they are an outstanding live band after watching Lamentations (never actually been to a gig to see em) but in the studio there are no mistakes and it sounds better IMO

PS. this is my first post for months, good to be back!

I guess it also depends on which song you look at. Songs like Demon of the Fall and Advent appeal to me more when I hear them played live, because they're pulled off more easily by the guys since they've gigged with them forever (and the songs aren't as tough). Then I hear bootlegs of songs like Bleak and Moonlapse Vertigo and Im constantly noticing that they sound too thin (the guitar playing mostly) because they don't have atleast three guitarists, so it really depends, but Im still leaning towards studio band because of MAYH and onward (excluding most of D1/D2) being so hard to reproduce live....even though they do great like others have said.

B Crouch said:
Interesting thread - I think they are an outstanding live band after watching Lamentations (never actually been to a gig to see em) but in the studio there are no mistakes and it sounds better IMO

PS. this is my first post for months, good to be back!

Oh, believe me, there's plenty of mistakes in the studio, haha. Welcome back, by the way.

:hotjump: I think it depends on the songs.. it was great to see ppls sing on in my time of need, a fair judgement or even the moor (in montreal at least)

but speaking of the moor, I tought they played that one a little slower than other cause it's so hard to play that one. I heard something similar in blackwater park, the heavy guitars sounded really dynamics but when it came to the quiet part.. it was again slower.

And the fact that they have 2 guitars instead of 3 is different on some songs (like the moor)

One other thing is that they try the reproduce the songs the same so that's what makes me think some songs may not be as great. But opeth is the band I enjoyed the most live with all the emotions that there were.

here's a setlist with the songs I found great live:

1. advent
2. leper affinity
3. blackwater park
4. the moor (even if it was slower.. great to hear ppls sing at the end)
5. to rid the disease
6. in my time of need
7. closure
8. deliverance
9. april ethereal
10. a fair judgement
11. to bid you farewell
12. demon on the fall :hotjump:

They r more of a studio band to me with all that gutar tracks layering and stuff. However they r still great to watch live!! (even though I've only caught them live on the Lamentations DVD and a few bootleg videos)

Btw, new member here and my first post!! :wave: