Favorite mainstream band

Originally posted by Duvall

Do christians really like Tool? I wouldn't think so..

Some people don't give a shit about the lyrics. For me anyway for most bands i ignore what the singer says and never fully learn the lyrics to some stuff. I am agnostic and i don't care wether the music is gospel or Emperor... either way i am just listening to music, not fucking worshiping some shit or something. I mean whatever floats your boat, but Lyrics are for me (and some other people) not very interesting. Opeth is an exception, i really enjoy Opeth's lyrics but i can honestly say i own every Tool album and i don't know what one song is about and i don't feel like i've missed anything, and i've listened to them A LOT too, just never even bothered to listen to the words, just the sound and melodyof the singer.

So ANYWAY, back on Topic my favorite mainstream bands are these:

Mudvayne
Pearl Jam
Supertramp
Tower Of Power (fuck yeah!)
Sevendust (holy shit Lajon can sing!)
Tool
Brian McKnight (really nice guy and sings better than anyone i've ever heard)

...? Christians like Tool?

Yes, two of my christian friends listen to them, I say to them "Read the lyrics of Eulogy", and they are just like "Yeah, whatever" :rolleyes:

Anything that people are told is "cool" to listen to, people will just enjoy it as background noise, I don't think most of the Tool "fans" actually bother to understand the lyrics or try to interpret the songs meaning, that's the only reason I don't like when bands become popular. Popular bands' "Fans" usually don't have a clue what the band is really about :cry:

Originally posted by Jannet

Smashing Pumpkins are awesome!!! I just wish I saw their last performance :cry:

ow, um, err...i mean, well, um, when i said it was probably the best gig ever and i will never forget how brilliant and awesome a night out that was and it put new meanings to the songs i already loved i meant it in a non - real way...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oyo

I don't think most of the Tool "fans" actually bother to understand the lyrics or try to interpret the songs meaning, that's the only reason I don't like when bands become popular. Popular bands' "Fans" usually don't have a clue what the band is really about :cry:

I beg to differ. I've been to the Tool site and in the chat rooms, and GEEEEZ do they think they are the genius Tool interpreters! A real die-hard Tool fan really makes an effort to understand them, since Tool's lyrics are largely metaphors, double meanings, etc. (Even if their interpretation is wrong, they try :D )

Jannet, I wasn't talking about the die-hard fans, I know they really get into it, I did and loved interpreting it. What I meant was, the people who here Schism or "Track 1" (stinkfist :rolleyes: ) on MTV, and say "O that is cool, i'll buy their CD", then they just play the music in the background or whatever and don't have a fucking clue what it's about or anything. Both of my friends who like them are exactly like this, and it really pisses me off, they have no clue what any of the songs are about, they just put the songs on shuffle on their winAMP playlists while they play computer games as background music.

Track 1...I remember laughing when I first saw the Stinkfist video on MTV.

I know exactly what you mean...I hate when people don't even make an effort to pay attention to the lyrics and understand what the music is about. Tool is not just background music and should never be treated that way. :mad:

Originally posted by Oyo
Jannet, I wasn't talking about the die-hard fans, I know they really get into it, I did and loved interpreting it. What I meant was, the people who here Schism or "Track 1" (stinkfist :rolleyes: ) on MTV, and say "O that is cool, i'll buy their CD", then they just play the music in the background or whatever and don't have a fucking clue what it's about or anything. Both of my friends who like them are exactly like this, and it really pisses me off, they have no clue what any of the songs are about, they just put the songs on shuffle on their winAMP playlists while they play computer games as background music.

Yeah, that's quite true. But some people don't care about lyrics; just the music. I would never do this, but if you strip Tool's music of its lyrics, I'm sure it can stand on its own. However, I could never understand when people don't give a rat's patooey about the lyrics, but whatever rocks their boat.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

ow, um, err...i mean, well, um, when i said it was probably the best gig ever and i will never forget how brilliant and awesome a night out that was and it put new meanings to the songs i already loved i meant it in a non - real way...:rolleyes:

Bah!!!! I meant my comment in a very REAL way :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like Clutch, Downset, Earth Crisis, Alice In Chains, Tool, Sepultura

Its ok to have diverse tastes....it makes great musicians too. I asked Mikael what his favourite band of all time was and he said Black Sabbath. I asked Peter the same question and he replied with Metallica.

Some of you guys are so afraid that people might think that you're not hardcore. Whatever, but as long as you recognize talent such as Opeth and are able to separate talent from image and gimmick (rap, britney, etc..) then you're not totally fucked up.

Tool, Radiohead, Faith No More, A Perfect Circle, Live, Tea Party, Metallica, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc

The above bands tend to get smothered by my metal cds (except Tool/Radiohead/FaithNoMore), but they still get a play once in a while and i still enjoy them.