I know this is highly unlikely but what if.....

InFlames235

Apr 20, 2002
Danville, CA
Visit site
Opeth ever became mainstream? Again, I'm saying this is extremely unlikely so please don't flame me because I know they most likely will NEVER go mainstream but what would you do if they did? Would you stop listenin to them or keep on going? I would keep listening to them but not without being a little bit dissapointed that I would have to pay a lot more money for concert tickets at huge stadiums where you can't even get close to the band :erk:

I don't think they'd want to play stadium shows. Maybe at first, just for fun, but I think the novelty would wear off.

If they went mainstream without compromising the music I'd listen just the same. It's the same 4 guys after all :)

And I don't think it's such a small chance, I could see it happening.

If opeth goes mainstream it'll because the mainstream trend shifted towards their style(s). And it will be a glorious day indeed.

Opeth..number 1 on TRL!!! hahahahhah Half the show would have to be dedicated to one song.

stadium shows suck unless youre in the pit or front row.. but nothing beats a small venue.. just like canes.. holy shit you can talk to the guys playing from across the room.. i fucking love it

If they did, I'd probably enjoy them just the same.

They never could, even if they wanted to.. not with their style and sound. Popular music fans don't typically appreciate music of merit and substance. They don't understand true depth. They would find Opeth to be "weird" or something along those lines. People want to hear music they can just bob their head to and sing along to.. nothing complex, just simple, catchy melodies.

they couldnt do it on sheer length of their songs. Even the softer songs tend to be 5 minutes on average, and those shorter tend to be instrumental.

I can see them gaining mainstream popularity if they opened up for, say, Metallica or Korn (even though theyd only be able to play what, 3 or 4 songs in their timeslot?). But even if that happened, they wouldnt gain mainstream media attention. the top 40 rock people here wouldnt play them.

As for whether id listen to them still... if they still release quality albums like deliverance, then hells fuckin yeah

I don't think I would like them as much if they got really mainstream. I don't know why, I think maybe they're more special to me because there are not a lot of other people who like them or have even heard of them relatively. I'm saying this knowing that they will never get that big though.

Erich w/ an h/ I can see them gaining mainstream popularity if they opened up for said:
If they opened for Korn i'd kill myself.

As far as them going mainstream. Who cares aslong as their not singing shit like good charlotte. I wouldn't want to see it happen do to my own selfishness though. I want them to stay small venue. I dont want to be competing against a bunch of trend kids for pit tickets and shit. Like metallica. They got to big for their own good. Maiden's just the right size in my opinion. Everyone who is in maiden is in it for the music. And not just because "it's cool"

I don't know. I like the small venue concerts better. But, something about the thought of hearing Mikael's growls shake apart a huge stadium is highly appealing.

InFlames235 said:
Opeth ever became mainstream? Again, I'm saying this is extremely unlikely so please don't flame me because I know they most likely will NEVER go mainstream but what would you do if they did? Would you stop listenin to them or keep on going? I would keep listening to them but not without being a little bit dissapointed that I would have to pay a lot more money for concert tickets at huge stadiums where you can't even get close to the band :erk:
I hope you read this shit Mikael ... If any of you fuckers would stop listening to a band because they are mainstream you are a bunch of idiots. Im not directing this to you IF235

Radiohead are mainstream ...they get better all the time
Tool are mainstream .... lateralus
Cradle of Filth are mainstream ... hahah yeh they suck now sorry.

Im not trying to make you out to be one of these

warsofwinter said:
I hope you read this shit Mikael ... If any of you fuckers would stop listening to a band because they are mainstream you are a bunch of idiots. Im not directing this to you IF235

Radiohead are mainstream ...they get better all the time
Tool are mainstream .... lateralus
Cradle of Filth are mainstream ... hahah yeh they suck now sorry.

Im not trying to make you out to be one of these
No way I definitely wouldn't stop listening to Opeth if they continued to make the same fantastic music no matter if they were mainstream. I just wanted to see how many people actually would and the only way I would ever stop listening to Opeth is if they became mainstream by making music like slipknot (lol like that will EVER happen) Opeth = :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

They are pretty mainstream now as it is... they have in no way compromised their music in the process, but their fanbase is HUGE! I say more power to them.. And Cradle of Filth still kill