I know i sound....idiotic...but.. (dont flame)

anonymousnick2001 said:
What's your favorite Opeth song? Maybe discussing that will help home boy up top with the questions, y'know?

Well it changes every so slightly quite often, but:

1 - Black Rose Immortal
2 - The Night and the Silent Water
3 - April Ethereal
(those three are probably going to always be top three for me)
4 - Forest of October
5 - When
6 - Demon of the Fall
7 - The Leper Affinity
8 - The Moor (although it's dropping pretty fast)
9 - White Cluster (and this is rising)
10 - The Funeral Portrait

Those last three usually change often, but the first seven have been in my top 10 for a long long time.

anonymousnick2001 said:
And not to mention...a lot of people don't think that Opeth is their favorite band. They just have so many good things to say because Opeth are that good of a band. Like, my favorite band is U2. And real big U2 fans will know the minute details about them that Opeth can probably never achieve,(IMO), but Opeth is still in my top 10, because they are so incredible and so talented. I just prefer other bands.

Hey man, I'm also a huge U2 fanboy, hehe :D :p

My favorite Opeth song is The Twilight Is My Robe from their debut, Orchid. Opeth is not my favorite band, but they're definately in the top 5, My favorite band is Pain of Salvation.

The Drapery Falls and Black Rose Immortal are pretty easy to get into, though my favorite songs are April Ethereal and The Twilight Is My Robe

Yeah, check out:

The Twilight Is My Robe
Forest Of October
Nectar
to Bid You Farewell
April Ethereal
Face Of Melinda
The Drapery Falls
Bleak
Deliverance
Windowpane
Closure

Any of those should be hooky enough. Filled with hooks. Catchy. That's what I meant.

illbeleavinnow said:
BRI is NOT easy to get into. The only song that is remotely close to get into from their first three albums is To Bid You Farewell. Epilogue too but that doesn't count.

Demon of the Fall

Leper Affinity is what got me into Opeth. For some reason, after hearing Bleak and Harvest (which was before hearing LA) I couldn't stand Opeth. I thought they were just a death metal band at first. But of course, I eventually came around and now love everything by them.

Thanatology Boy said:
but why do so many people like opeth? (dont flame)
i dont find them bad... but i wouldnt listen to them over some of my other bands....looking at how popualur theyre forums are and how many people like them and such i jus wanna ask whats a good song or something cus i guess i just havent heard much or something, people here like love them with everything its weird, so anyway, any recomendations? ive heard like 6 songs but nothing special i would think i remebr.... o_O

Forget about the "my favorite" this and "my favorite" that - anytime somebody starts saying this or that is the best album/song ever, it's only that one persons opinion.

From my personal standpoint, and looking at Opeth objectively, I think they are becoming quite popular for the following reasons:
1. Word of mouth: word gets around through magazines, interent, etc. Once a totally "underground" band, their talent is being noticed by many people, and thus, more and more people find out about them.
2. Forget that they are my favorite band - I don't see how anybody with a shred of musical knowledge can listen to Opeth and not hear how talented and gifted Opeth as a group are. Each individual Opeth member has their own talents, and if you compared each member to other people who play the same instrument or sing, they probably are not individually the #1 most gifted at their craft. But as a group, Opeth produces some pretty incredible stuff.
3. One thing I've noticed through most of the Opeth analysis I've read - people find it pretty hard to compare them to anybody else. That alone makes them unique.

MY personal #1 favorite song of all time: The Drapery Falls
MY personal #1 favorite album of all time: Blackwater Park
MY personal #1 favorite band of all time: Opeth

If you listen to them, and the music does nothing for you, I guess Opeth is just not your cup of tea. Since they are so different, one must exercise patience before throwing Opeth to the curbside. They do take time to dig into your soul, but once there, I don't think a tool has been created yet to extract them.

Thanatology Boy said:
but why do so many people like opeth? (dont flame)
i dont find them bad... but i wouldnt listen to them over some of my other bands....looking at how popualur theyre forums are and how many people like them and such i jus wanna ask whats a good song or something cus i guess i just havent heard much or something, people here like love them with everything its weird, so anyway, any recomendations? ive heard like 6 songs but nothing special i would think i remebr.... o_O

[NOT flaming]

First of all, your question is really...stupid. Asking why so many people like a band is like asking why so many people like pizza/gummybears/sex/goatse.cx

It will always come down to personal opinion. You shouldn't really care why others like them, just like I (and so many of us) don't give a shit about all the people who bash them (which seem to be almost as many as the fans themselves) and call them clever names like....Blopeth :rolleyes:

Anyway, Opeth was the first band which I immediately fell in love with at first listen. This had never happened to me before....and I HATED the death metal growls I had heard before (about 2 or 3 songs...Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under). Then a friend told me to check out the song 'Dirge For November'....and I became a fan. I didn't even hate the growling, in fact, I loved them!

Personally, I think seeing them in concert would be the best way to make you appreciate them, but otherwise, I would reccomend that you check out complete albums, not random songs. They have made 4 albums which I consider PERFECT, and will always be among my favorites of all time. They are Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse and Blackwater Park. I'll give you a short description of each of these 4 albums.

Orchid is the debut album, in which there was more of an "epic" (and even folkish at times) sound. The songs are long and complex, with the dual guitar harmonies standing out. Some people find this album boring, I find it beautiful. Ok, if you want particular songs, I would reccomend: In Mist She Was Standing, Forest of October, The Twilight is My Robe, The Apostle in Triumph

Morningrise is the sophomore album which is similar to Orchid, but more "focused", in my opinion. It's also a little 'heavier'. It's one amazing album which I will never get tired of. It also features the first ballad by the band, in which Mikael sings in clean voice (not metal growl) throughout the entire track. Songs I would reccomend: All of them. To Bid You Farewell is the 'clean voice' ballad.

My Arms, Your Hearse is the third album, and the first one in which you can hear a significant departure from their previous sound. There are less melodic parts, and less of those beautiful guitar harmonies present in the first two, but it has a lot more "atmosphere". It's the first concept album by them, meaning the whole album tells a story. This is probably my favorite album by them. Songs I would reccomend: April Ethereal, When (my favorite), The Amen Corner, Credence, Epilogue.

Blackwater Park was the 'breakthrough' album...after this, they got 10 times more popular, and the haters/bashers increased as well. It is also the first album to feature the help of Porcupine Tree genius Steven Wilson. His influence is all over this record. The songs are a bit shorter and more to the point, and a lot heavier than on previous albums (except maybe MAYH). Personally, this is the album that got me into them, and now it's fallen from my grace a little, but I will always consider it a masterpiece. I also consider this album to have the best production of any Opeth record. It's the most accesible album by them, in my opinion (even moreso than Damnation), so I would suggest you start with this one. Songs I would suggest: The Leper Affinity, Bleak, The Drapery Falls, Dirge For November.

Overall, Opeth are my favorite band. I don't see that changing anytime soon. My other favorite band is Porcupine Tree....and I love them both to death, but if I had no choice I would pick Opeth over PT. That's just the lame personal comment crap.

Have fun listening to Opeth, and if you don't, then move on to something you do like.

Blopeth wasn't my invention or anything...that's what the people on metalrules.com call them. And that one St.Anger fan guy...Allwithinmymonster or whatever the fuck he's called.

And yes, I am a big fan of Still Life. I just don't like it nearly as much as those four I listed. White Cluster, Face of Melinda and possibly The Moor, are among my favorite songs.

And all of that.