If Opeth are destined to become a mainstream band

deathbearer said:
Opeth could easily be mainstream. True, bands with pure cookie mostor vox don't get mainstream radio airplay. However, with this metal core, nu metal and hardcore trend becoming mainstream in heavy music, barking, growling vocals are far more accepted than before. Along with the more melodic Gothenburgh ("death metal") bands crossing over, yeh, bands like Opeth (with clean vocals as well) are becoming more mainstream. Melodic death metal has ALREADY crossed over since the turn of the new millineum replacing nu metal right along the lines of the metal core (ATG ripp off bands) and hardcore bands. All those bands are performing on the most mainstream heavy music fests that the USA has to offer.
Yeh, Opeth are going mainstream, like it or not.

Now they just have to get over the 10-minute songs and mood-swinging dynamics :erk:

They're still an exception to the style... so just because an entire genre is suddenly widely accepted doesn't mean Opeth will be.

Death's Acre said:
I never said the whole thing would sound like the grand conjuration, I was just making an observation.

And yes, I meant like Rush(or even pinkfloyed) when I said mainstream but I definitely didn't mean that's how I want them to sound. I just mean I prefer the prog side to the metal side these days.

Camel > morbid angel.

wishful thinking...but not very realistic im afraid. opeth loves playing the heavy stuff as much as the soft stuff it seems. i wouldnt expect to see them losing one of those 2 aspects any time soon.

This whole thread makes so little sense it makes my head hurt. Everybody just stop posting in it.

I was following this thread up until the last entry^
Although I do like Agalloch's Thinking Devy.

why the hell do all you people care about whether a band becomes mainstream or not. quibbling about whether or not a band has crossed over into the "mainstream" music scene seems so incredibly pointless to me

Is Agalloch coming out with a new one? I actually have the mantle and it's pretty good to listen to when I am in the right mood for it.

shark22 said:
Is Agalloch coming out with a new one? I actually have the mantle and it's pretty good to listen to when I am in the right mood for it.
what the hell does this have to do with anything in this thread? :erk:
BUT, to answer the q, I heard they're working on recording new material this summer.

mbarys said:
Hahahahaha. Good sig!!!
Btw, I love that signature ya got there. With the little kids with thier Opeth shirts on. That's soo cute, "ya gotta start them early". It's funny because I saw Cryptopsy last April and there were a lot of KIDS at that show, not just the old school metal heads with their arms folded. Lorm Worm said "It was very admirable" that parents were driving and bringing kids to the show. New blood in the death metal scene is always good, and starting them off early listening to the most progresive extreme metal is great. Not every one was born with a Bathory or extreme metal cd in thier hands, but if you start them off young they will grow up metal heads.
Or define thier own idenity.

i heard The Grand Conjuration in Atlanta and thought it was a pretty solid piece. SOme sounded like Blackwater Park era atmosphere.,, other parts are admittedly akin to deliverence but hey i dig it

My kids are 4 and 2. Everytime I play Lepper Affinity they headbang like there's no tomorrow. It's funny. They'll go, "Dad play dey dey dey (beginning of Leper)" Classic!!! Metal forever!

deathbearer said:
Btw, I love that signature ya got there. With the little kids with thier Opeth shirts on. That's soo cute, "ya gotta start them early". It's funny because I saw Cryptopsy last April and there were a lot of KIDS at that show, not just the old school metal heads with their arms folded. Lorm Worm said "It was very admirable" that parents were driving and bringing kids to the show. New blood in the death metal scene is always good, and starting them off early listening to the most progresive extreme metal is great. Not every one was born with a Bathory or extreme metal cd in thier hands, but if you start them off young they will grow up metal heads.
Or define thier own idenity.