If Opeth are destined to become a mainstream band

NineFeetUnderground said:
wishful thinking...but not very realistic im afraid. opeth loves playing the heavy stuff as much as the soft stuff it seems. i wouldnt expect to see them losing one of those 2 aspects any time soon.

Oh, I know. And don't get me wrong, I still like a lot of metal- just it's beginning to seem a little stale. That's all it is- wishful thinking.

To the d00d who said "sounds like a poser"- grow up please.

err said:
i heard The Grand Conjuration in Atlanta and thought it was a pretty solid piece. SOme sounded like Blackwater Park era atmosphere.,, other parts are admittedly akin to deliverence but hey i dig it
Yeah, I think the most similar song to TGC is Deliverance. I guess that's why they chose Deliverance as the song to be replaced by TGC on SOTU.

Looking for a Job said:
if a band becomes mainstream it's usually because they changed their music to match the current trend of music. so complaining about a band becoming mainstream makes sense, because USUALLY it means the band has changed

no I still think it's stupid

Who said there's no growl vocals in mainstream music? There are bands like Story of the Year (gay as they may be) with guitar harmonies and growls. All That Remains, Shadows Fall - played as samples at Wallmart for crap's sake. I walk into the electronics department and I hear "Groar goo grat frit grooar" and a bunch of hot chicks are standing there like "wtf?" and they quickly scan the newest girl pop CD... which is funny.. but now im rambling.. My point is, growly bands are NOT that far away from radio. I'd also like to mention Drowning Pool, and (don't hate me for this) System of a Down.

Well, Lamentations DVD went gold in Canada. Now, originally I thought this was equal to 500,000 copies sold, but my bro says it is 100,000 (and I think he's right.) 500,000 = platinum in canada while in the states it is 1,000,000.

Either way, if it sold gold in Canada, that's GOTTA be a good thing. I wonder how many copies it sold worldwide?

Death's Acre said:
I think they should give up metal. A mainstream prog band is better than a mainstream metal band any day of the week. Plus Damnation is better than Deliverence and if the grand conjuration is any indication it seems like that's the style they've begun to settle into.

Just a thought. I'd much prefer several albums in the style of Damnation to several in the style of deliverence. Actually I might just prefer several prog-like Opeth albums regardless. Metal is getting lame anyway.

A man can dream...

you see, that's what i hope they do NOT. one Damnation is enough...

Looking for a Job said:
look what i'm doing. notice how i'm putting the text AFTER the quote. now you try. dear lord, DO IT LIKE THIS. i hate you

Stewie?

Btw... family guy sucks.

deathbearer said:
Opeth could easily be mainstream. True, bands with pure cookie mostor vox don't get mainstream radio airplay. However, with this metal core, nu metal and hardcore trend becoming mainstream in heavy music, barking, growling vocals are far more accepted than before. Along with the more melodic Gothenburgh ("death metal") bands crossing over, yeh, bands like Opeth (with clean vocals as well) are becoming more mainstream. Melodic death metal has ALREADY crossed over since the turn of the new millineum replacing nu metal right along the lines of the metal core (ATG ripp off bands) and hardcore bands. All those bands are performing on the most mainstream heavy music fests that the USA has to offer.
Yeh, Opeth are going mainstream, like it or not.

Name one Mainstream band that has 'cookie monstor' vocals?

mbarys said:
My kids are 4 and 2. Everytime I play Lepper Affinity they headbang like there's no tomorrow. It's funny. They'll go, "Dad play dey dey dey (beginning of Leper)" Classic!!! Metal forever!

that is so totally cool- those are ur kids in the opeth shirts?? u rule!!

I like to think that in 20 years' time opeth will have become a real mellow prog act (floyd/damnation styley) and shifted dramatically, martin could say "you are witnessing the rebirth of opeth"... he looks a little like derek smalls!

fps said:
that is so totally cool- those are ur kids in the opeth shirts?? u rule!!

I like to think that in 20 years' time opeth will have become a real mellow prog act (floyd/damnation styley) and shifted dramatically, martin could say "you are witnessing the rebirth of opeth"... he looks a little like derek smalls!

heh, well I don't think they're ACTUALLY his kids. I mean, yaknow, the wife had them and everything but...