Favorite mainstream band

Originally posted by OpethianSoul
Track 1...I remember laughing when I first saw the Stinkfist video on MTV.

I know exactly what you mean...I hate when people don't even make an effort to pay attention to the lyrics and understand what the music is about. Tool is not just background music and should never be treated that way. :mad:

if you buy the cd you have the right to do whatever you want with it. you can use it as a mat if you really want. if you like it as background music whats wrong with that? anyway i think its interesting that Tool don't have the lyrics to their songs listed in the album booklets, maybe it tells you something about the band :err:

Originally posted by _Transparent_

if you buy the cd you have the right to do whatever you want with it. you can use it as a mat if you really want. if you like it as background music whats wrong with that? anyway i think its interesting that Tool don't have the lyrics to their songs listed in the album booklets, maybe it tells you something about the band :err:

Some bands just don't like printing lyrics, they say it takes away from the music. A band I was in contact with I had asked the same question, "Why don't you print your lyrics?" They thought it was stupid and took focus away from the art of their music. I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but I still loved them.

Ouch, there are so many. I guess Guns n' Roses is my fave "mainstream" act. Been my faves since 87 when I first bought Appetite For Destruction...

Dream Theater would count as "mainstream" as well perhaps (?). Selling millions ought to make them qualified so I'll add them as well...

Originally posted by Scytheman
Ouch, there are so many. I guess Guns n' Roses is my fave "mainstream" act. Been my faves since 87 when I first bought Appetite For Destruction...

I'll second that.

Guns 'n Roses always make me smile -- definitely the best car music. After my last college final ever, I got in the car, still tense, and Paradise City was on. I just went wild. You should've seen me thrashing around, singing at the top of my lungs! :D

Y'all know my other weakness, so I won't embarass myself by stating it again. ;)

Mainstream? Umm.. nope. Sorry. All non-metal I listen to is non-mainstream. Some of my assorted "okay music" was mainstream back in the 80's... but it's not like I listen to one band... but general 80's pop can strike home on occasion.

The Tea Party - Canadian mainstream

American mainstream? I like many songs from many bands, like Disturbed, Korn, etc., but don't really have a favorite American mainstream band - just mainstream songs. Most bands I like are the "underground" metal type - when I say I like a band, I like most of their material.

Originally posted by Lina
Guns 'n Roses always make me smile -- definitely the best car music. After my last college final ever, I got in the car, still tense, and Paradise City was on. I just went wild. You should've seen me thrashing around, singing at the top of my lungs! :D

Y'all know my other weakness, so I won't embarass myself by stating it again. ;)

There's nothing embarassing there. GNR were the best band in their brief existence. Slash=tophat=topbloke.

Originally posted by Wolff
There's nothing embarassing there. GNR were the best band in their brief existence. Slash=tophat=topbloke.
No, no, no! I meant I wouldn't embarrass myself by posting my favorite mainstream band...you know...starts with a C...ends with a D. :rolleyes: :D

*cough Pearl Jam cough* :D :D

Hey, aren't like Creed and Pearl Jam related in some way? I heard Creed was biting off Eddie Vedder's style. I did buy the first Creed release, but, errrr...everywhere I went, there they were, blaring outta car radios, being played in place of elevator music at supermarkets...AGGGHH..I sold it and vowed never to hear the radio again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uhh... let's see...

Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam
Tool
Fastball
Matthew Good Band
Nine Inch Nails
System of a Down

I like lots of old mainstream bands, like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc. etc...

Oh, and incidentally, I think Matthew Good's comments were spot-on (if you know who Matt Good is - Canadian artist from my hometown). He basically said that Creed, Three Doors Down, Staind, and Nickelback are all pretty much the same band. If they released new songs simultaneously, you wouldn't know which were by who.

Yes I like TOOL, and yes, I am a Christian, and yes, I try to follow and understand the lyrics, because lyrics are an important part of the music. But listening to the lyrics does not mean I agree with them. They are just some guy's interpretation of stuff. I mean, I also happen to be a really conservative guy,so I am sure my personal beliefs would differ from most of the people whose music I listen to. Does this mean I should not listen? Should I only listen to bands I agree with? Obviously not. I hardly see Maynard James Keenan as an authority on religion. Anyone with some sense could refute some of the things in his songs. Like on Judith, the point of the song seems to be against blind faith. Well, that's exactly what faith is. A lot of people have faith in God and their religion, who the hell is Maynard to tell people they are wrong. You don't like it? Too bad. Then in Swamp Music, the point is if you don't listen to me, then you will reap the consequences. Why the hell would I listen to you? Because you write good music? Then, a lot of you have mentioned Eulogy. The point of this one to me, is he does not want anyone dying for him. Well some poeple believe Christ died for us, others don't, and that's fine for me. I guess the concept of religious tolerance escapes Maynard though.

Well, I hate to get off on a religious debate here, but don't always assume the narrarator of the song is Maynard speaking directly to you, ya know? It's cool that you actually understand the lyrics and enjoy the music anyways. I don't think Maynard should have to do worry about religious tolerance, I know you're not doing it, but A LOT of Christians have no religious tolerance at all. A lot of them will tell you "How can you not believe in god (How can you not agree with me), you're going to hell!" That is just annoying, and that is why many people get mad at religion, also because many parents force it on their kids. But aside from that, Maynard wants to get the message across, I think it's great how he opposes religion with the lyrics. This may not be a positive effect in your opinion, but someone who was religious might realize why [they are religious] from the lyrics, and re-evaluating their beliefs.

EDIT: About blind faith, blind faith is like saying "Misplaced Lost stuff, hot warm food, stupid dumb moron people" The adjective is unnecesarry, all faith is blind.