opeth and tool

thirdeye

Jul 2, 2002
detroit
Visit site
i have always wondered whether the guys in opeth listened to the band tool, or vice versa.. It was interesting to see that in two of the three bio's on the opeth page tool was listed numerous times as both a favorite album and what they were currently into. in my opinion, these two bands should tour together..twould be amazing....

OMG OMG Opeth and Tool are my 2 favorite bands. I dont listen to them as much this last year, but if they toured id wait in line for days. I could die a happy man if they toured together.

TOOL and Opeth are two of the best bands out there right now, and are also in a small percentage of bands who are creating very interesting, incredible and original material. I've yet to see Opeth perform live yet but I've seen TOOL twice during the Lateralus tour and they were amazing, their musicianship was top notch and Maynard's vocals are just amazing. If these two bands ever toured together I'd be the first in line for tickets if they came any where near Seattle.

I've seen Tool by themselves, they were pretty awesome. One of two concerts I've ever been to, I think Opeth and Tool would be the perfect match...y'know, they really should tour together!

I wonder if the guys in Tool even know about Opeth...

I was JUST tlaking to a freind about Tool vs. Opeth it terms of progressive music..The differential is Tool (at best) are progressive ROCK (hard Rock) Opeth are progressive doom/death..I liked Aenima by Tool but simply grew out of them specifically when the cumbersome Lateralus was released..Tool are perhaps the most talanted of the "nu Metal" bands here in the USA..
However, I simply see no point in taking oversaturated USA NU Metal too seriously..I like some songs by Tool, and liked one CD (Aenima) as a mainstream music classic..Tool bore me now, even though, again they are the most talented of these lame nu metal bands..I think that Opeth are miles ahead of Tool as Opeth are again a progressive/ doom death band..I would actually pay to see Tool and Opeth even though I can think of better/ more progressive underground bands for Opeth to tour the USA with..Belive me Opeth are far more progressive than Tool Why market Opeth to the over saturated NU Metal cliche..? Opeth are a death metal band..The money on a Tool arena tour would be good though..Swedish countrymen Messhugah most recently toured with Tool in the USA..I just don't see the point of Opeth being marketed to the nu metal audience, as that trend will die like 80's hair metal..Opeth should stay true..Hails..-l-

Originally posted by deathbearer
I was JUST tlaking to a freind about Tool vs. Opeth it terms of progressive music..The differential is Tool (at best) are progressive ROCK (hard Rock) Opeth are progressive doom/death..I liked Aenima by Tool but simply grew out of them specifically when the cumbersome Lateralus was released..Tool are perhaps the most talanted of the "nu Metal" bands here in the USA..
However, I simply see no point in taking oversaturated USA NU Metal too seriously..I like some songs by Tool, and liked one CD (Aenima) as a mainstream music classic..Tool bore me now, even though, again they are the most talented of these lame nu metal bands..I think that Opeth are miles ahead of Tool as Opeth are again a progressive/ doom death band..I would actually pay to see Tool and Opeth even though I can think of better/ more progressive underground bands for Opeth to tour the USA with..Belive me Opeth are far more progressive than Tool Why market Opeth to the over saturated NU Metal cliche..? Opeth are a death metal band..The money on a Tool arena tour would be good though..Swedish countrymen Messhugah most recently toured with Tool in the USA..I just don't see the point of Opeth being marketed to the nu metal audience, as that trend will die like 80's hair metal..Opeth should stay true..Hails..-l-

Why are you sitting there talking about "whos more progressive" and how tool is just "nu metal"..... Nobody really cares about the whole music market.... the people posting here seem to really love Tool and really love Opeth.... and are just saying that a concert with the two would be awesome.... nobody is talking about the whole progressive or nu metal industry or anything like that.... and by the way, Tool is definately NOT nu-metal, they are progressive metal....being popular does not make you nu-metal....

They are my two favorite bands, and I have already thought of this happening. It is a very REAL possibility. Tool are fans of Death metal and more than likely are fans of Opeth in particular. As far as tours are concerned it would be my wet dream!

haha actually death bearer i pretty much disagree with everything that youve said...firstly tool is not "nu-metal" i dont know who told you that, or you just thought that on your own. tool has been around since like 1992, and they have been progressive hard rock since the beginning. nu metal bands are like korn and linkin park etc. bands that often try to immitate a group like tool, but cant so they end up rapping. secondly, how can you label tool mainstream?? thats basically calling opeth mainstream, both bands have generally 8 plus min songs, and are not radio friendly. thirdly, comparing the "progressiveness" of the two bands is silly, they both have similar influences as far as 70's prog bands go, and i would say tool has the more original progressive sound...as no other band sounds like them, whereas any proggy type band in the death/doom metal genre whatever u want to call it, can sound more or less like opeth at times. as far as the aggressive music, melodic riffs, double bass goes etc. although of course not nearly as good : )...anyhow sorry to get off on a rant, but basically calling tool nu- metal is just so inaccurate...anyone with a basic knowledge of music can see that. you right im sure the nu-metal bands will die out eventually, but of course since tool came years before those bands, and are still going strong, theyll be around much longer.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tool with Opeth, as I've seen Tool 3 (A Perfect Cicle once) times and Opeth once..TOOL ARE NOT metal..Tool are progressive hard rock, alternative hard rock=nu metal..Metal or extreme metal is death, doom, grindcore, black metal, thrash ect..Tool are an interesting hard rock band..Opeth have been promoted to the METAL audience for over 10 years now (BWBK, Terrorizer ect..) as Opeth are a progressive death doom band..I would rather see Opeth with Arch Enemy here in the USA as Opeth toured with Arch Enemy in England this past summer and Arch Enemy stole the show from Nile in the USA this past summer.Tool are HARD ROCK NOT EXTREME METAL..No I don't want to see Opeth open for Tool in the enormadome for $50.00 some odd dollars and therefore alienating thier underground metal fans..Would Opeth play a long enough set opening for Tool? (that's Loot back wards)No..Would acoustic songs like Benighted come off as well in an arena..Don't know..Tool may be corperate rock but I'm not ready to sell Opeth out to the mainstream corperate arena rock ala OZZFEST..By the Way, Dillenger Escape Plan are a far better band than Tool..Opeth are a death metal band and should tour with bands like Anethama, Katonia and death doom bands of the like..I would love to see a Opeth, Bloodbath, Arch Enemy tour, or even Opeth with Nile..Tool are talanted but overatted..Hails..-l-

well here you go again man haha...so now tool is corporate rock?? where do u come up with this!...just incredible, tool doesnt play for money just like opeth...they play to spread their music, playing in small venues is what they prefer actually, but thats just not possible when a band reaches a certain status, too many people want to see them, and playing venues with 5000 or less seats will not cut it. as for ozzfest, they played a few gigs on the european stint of that show, the over- commercialized ozzfest in america they were not a part of.

Tool do NOT play in small venues..Tool are now playing arenas at your local enormadome..Pleeease..I saw Tool on the Lollapoolaza tour a looooong time ago for the UNDERTOW tour..That tour was mainstream for it's time..Opeth's songs are too long to get commercial airplay here in the USA..Everytime I turn on a modern rock station in the USA I hear Tool..Before the over used cliche of NU METAL became popular, Tool were an alternative hard rock band from LA, California..Some of Tool's music does grace my collection, but Lateralus was horrible and how many nu metal bands (Staind ect. ) want to sound like Tool but don't have the talent..Good drummer in Tool, good videos but corperate rock never the less..Compared to bands like Nile, Tool are making lots of money on the road..I can name tons of more progressive bands than Tool in the metal genre alone..Pleeease Tool..Tool have played the OZZFEST in USA by the way..lol.Tool are the personification of nu metal and perhaps the most talanted of the lot, but they are not EXTREME METAL as they do not thrash not grind..Tool are about as heavy as Limp Bizcut but more progressive, lol..lmaof..Hails..-l-

i was thinking this as well..since they both have progressive elements, then i also thought that also you could add a little dream theater as well..not much but i can see it in there.

UNDERRATED BANDS IN METAL THAT CRUSH TOOL: Dillenger Escape Plan, Isis, Yakuza, Candiria, Mastadon, Nuerousis (sp), Opeth just to name a few, and these are not all death, black or grindcore bands..Tool should take notes..Hails..-l- But Opeth would be playing to a larger perhaps mainstream audience on tour with Tool, but many bands are better than Tool..Hails..-l-