Opeth/Tool/Meshuggah

trendend

New Metal Member
Jun 29, 2002
VA Beach
Visit site
warsofwinter said:
Actually if you know ANYTHING about music or rhythm you would understand why these two bands are even a better match than Opeth and Tool.
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to react to that statement. I'm not taking anything away from Meshuggah, I loved everything they did up until Chaosphere. But now, instead of having any kind of dynamics, they went to one full album of total in-your-face non-stop riffs (Chaosphere, boring to me), to an album of total in-your-face music at 1/2 their normal speed (Nothing, even more boring to me). I still think Meshuggah is one of the most talented bands out there, I just don't agree with their current musical direction. Gone are the killer clean breaks, and very few are the killer solos from Fredrik. All of this babble leads to why I said what I said, meaning I don't think Meshuggah was a good fit w/ Tool, mainly because live they now concentrate on their two newest albums (which makes sense since they haven't played over much). Their new stuff has little to none of the dynamics that once made their music great, therefore making them clash with the constantly dynamic Tool. This is why I think Opeth would be a better fit for an opener for Tool, as both bands have great use of dynamics in almost all of their songs. And one final note, seeing as how I've been listening to Tool (1992), Meshuggah (1991) and Opeth (1995) since their first albums, and you're just now in high school, that would mean you may have been pushing first grade when these bands started coming out, so I think I know MORE about music than you do. Who in this group was into metal when Master of Puppets was new? haha
Figured the old thread had gone on long enough, so I started a new one. In addition to my above statements regarding the specific bands, I have also been playing bass for about 15 years in various bands, so I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to "music and rhythm".

I play bass too, you ever think about tabbing some of opeths stuff on bass?
I actually took up bass sometime around 2003-2002 in my senior year in high school. My first attempt at learning a song was To bid you farewell, which i could only learn the intro. I also learned the beginning on Face of Melinda. My teacher (who was blind) thought those songs would be suitable for a beginer as i've never played any instruments before besides beat box where i got most of my rhythm from. Now i'm able to figure out songs on my own like Advent. My teacher thought it was odd, that he didn't have to teach me any rhythm lessons, you know clap on 2 and 4, conentrate on 1 and 3 for dynamics of notes. Till this day i don't know how and why i already had rhythm down in my head.

This board will always be full of people who don't know what they are talking about, because it's like that everywhere you go.

I just responded to the "Martin Lopez on Tool" thread, and once seeing this, I realize that maybe Tool WOULD be good with Opeth, as long as their was a third band to kind of patch the space between Tool and Opeth. Meshuggah would be good, as long as they played their earlier stuff.

trendend: we get it - you're old, you've been listening to metal for a long time, and that doesn't mean anything. thank's for your contribution.

trendend said:
And one final note, seeing as how I've been listening to Tool (1992), Meshuggah (1991) and Opeth (1995) since their first albums, and you're just now in high school, that would mean you may have been pushing first grade when these bands started coming out, so I think I know MORE about music than you do. Who in this group was into metal when Master of Puppets was new? haha
Your a jackass.

IAmEternal said:
trendend: we get it - you're old, you've been listening to metal for a long time, and that doesn't mean anything. thank's for your contribution.
Since when is 27 old? I didn't intend for my response to be analyzed/criticized by everyone else in here, I was merely responding to warsofwinter, who claimed that I obviously didn't know anything about music and rhythm because I though Meshuggah was a bad match for Tool. Maybe the fact that they were booed constantly during their sets would be a good indicator of that. I certainly can't knock Tool for taking them out, I think it's killer a band as "big" as Tool would bring a band that is virtually unknown in the mainstream out as a support act. I wish more bands would do that. So instead of saying "I do too know about music, kiss my ass", I figured I would explain. I'm not saying that anyone under 18 doesn't know shit about music, most metalheads start out younger today than they did when I was in high school. That's awesome, I wish I had gotten into more metal when I was younger. If you want to criticize me for that, or say "your a jackass" (nice spelling), so be it. Opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one. Fish on...