Opeth and Tool

yes, but does that somehow interfere with your appreciation for them? who cares what other people think of a band? if you like them, then like them, and let other people like other bands, no matter how much you may despise them. in the end all this really won't change your view on them, you know that.

IAmEternal said:
Anyways, to sum up... two great bands, both thriving on dynamics, long songs, and creating amazing atmospheres. Both are unrivalled in what they do, though quite different and in some ways incomparable. What do you guys find similar/different about these two unique and creative powerhouses?

Both Opeth and Tool are great bands that expand the boundaries of metal and music in general, and as such it is natural for them to attract some of the same fans.. While Tool are great innovaters in the use of sounds and instruments, Opeth is maybe the best the best band active today in the art of capturing human emotion with sound.
Both bands express a great deal of the depressive and angst-ridden that is so typical for the musical innovaters of today.. Who wouldn`t be when you live in a world where innovation has been missing from the mainstream music for 30 years?

tis the truth. although maynard is respectable, as much as I may hate them, people like whitney houston and (especially) mariah carey are quite talented.

Necramentia said:
tis the truth. although maynard is respectable, as much as I may hate them, people like whitney houston and (especially) mariah carey are quite talented.

But (in my opinion) they choose to waste their talent singing shitty songs. It's not pure talent that I listen to music for. It's a balance between talented instrumentalists, good songwriting, and emotion.

tgo said:
Shut the fuck up you goddamn retard. What was the point of saying whitney > someone equally shit > maynard? It's just going to anger Tool fans.

and ur just ignorantly fueling the fire...

everyone in this damn thread has a problem with at least one person...its sad...

i'm just here to say i value all your opinions and musical tastes and differences....

thank u...i'm done now

taken by the reaper: you can never please everyone, no matter what you do
taking a stance of indifference is just going to piss off other people
so why bother? if you're gonna piss people off no matter what, at least make your own opinion known!

ok lemme start out by giving u my stance on the situation of Tool and Opeth....Opeth is my favorite band...but tool is up there for me too...top 5 without a doubt...soo on to the point i wanna make..

i was never really trying to please everyone by saying i value all ur opinions...the point i was trying to make was that i dont really think it matters what others think of a band u like as long as u like them...and i'm also trying to get the point across that its important to at least think about what the other people in this thread are trying to say about their stance instead of blatantly ignoring their opinion and flaming them because of their stance...make sense at all?

no we definitely cannot please everyone...but if we all respected each other's opinions a little more then there wouldnt be as much flaming as there is already...

but i guess that would make this thread boring...

IAmEternal said:
But (in my opinion) they choose to waste their talent singing shitty songs. It's not pure talent that I listen to music for. It's a balance between talented instrumentalists, good songwriting, and emotion.

well, at least you clearly said "in my opinion". truly, we cannot define their music as shitty though. it's impossible to say that something is "bad music", even linkin park.

Necramentia said:

no personal offense meant here, but screw that statement. If talent was the only virtue by which we judged music then we would all listen to mozart constantly. the fact that they, by the arbitrary technical standards which have been established, can sing should in no way influence any opinion on whether they are quality musicians or not. As if there are not many people who can sing much better then the waste of oxygen and resources known as mariah carey? that never became tools for the multinational corporation media machines because they were not beautiful (see "slutty") enough for it?

it's a disgusting fashion in which to define talent if you use those as your prime examples. You know what, the word talent is pointless in this respect anyway. A talent can be spinning a fucking plate on your nose. So what, those two singers have a talent, they can sing, thats great, THEY ARE OTHERWISE USELESS. Our standards for what "talent" is have simply become too low and i'm tired of the excuse, the counterargument to me saying a band sucks, being "oh but they have talent". Need better reasoning then that.

fadingessence: if mariah carey was ugly, she would probably be part of one of the many underground music scenes; still making music nonetheless. i dont think you can deny the fact that you are more attracted to a band with a gorgeous woman as the lead singer as opposed to an ugly woman as the lead singer - of course, with the same music quality.

and all these (>) stupid signs comparing bands are getting tiresome as well. if you want to post your opinion in here (AndICried), please also post some useful contributions to the thread as well. im getting bored from scrolling through all these counterproductive posts.

Reading through this whole topic was weird... I think most people can't consider the other side of the argument. Or they're just not taking it seriously, which I sense in almost every post. It's just a joke to most people, this whole topic.

One thing I can relate to...

Saying that your favourite band is the best band in the world is a common thing. It's not arrogant or condescending unless it's meant to be, it's an emotional response to the strong connection you feel with that band. Try living your life taking everything at face value and see how far it gets you.

That's true, but I do have a habit of deciding who's my favorite band, and who I think the best band is. Which is funny, because both are opinion. My favorite band would have to be Porcupine Tree at the moment, and I think the best band is Tool. Why? Musicians who know how to communicate, know what they're talking about, can be thought provoking, are amazing on their instruments, and have a certain chemistry that no other band has. It's such a unity, and the music they produce is amazing. I don't think Tool is drawn out and boring. They are similar to Opeth in many ways, and different from Opeth in many ways. I suspect the only reason anyone could think Tool is drawn out, in comparison with Opeth, is the fact that Tool's songs actually flow and maintain structure while being able to pull off insane time signatures and differences. In comparison with Opeth, Tool is only boring because their early music consists of mainly passages that have nothing to do with eachother, and that's the TRUTH. Listen to Black Rose Immortal. It's a great song, but it's Opeth's early stage. Tons of changes, but none of it flows. All of the passages are of the same LEAGUE, but they don't flow. Opeth, to this day, in my opinion, can't write songs like Tool does. Both bands are similar, but Opeth can't write songs like Tool. But that's just in comparison. I think that many of Opeth's songs are definitely considerable rivals, such as The Moor, Harvest, Windowpane, etcetera, but they have a lot of other songs that just don't flow as much as most of what Tool writes.

I think that Opeth/Tool/Meshuggah would be an amazing tour. All of the bands are similar in some ways... The dynamics. At least Meshuggah's old stuff, which they should be asked to play some of. People will be used to hearing Meshuggah with Opeth, as they have already toured together, which will attract somewhat of a mixed crowd. The heaviness of Meshuggah, at least in comparison with Tool, with prepare the crowd for Opeth's degree of "heaviness." I just think it'd be an amazing experience. A theater setting would be best for it.

Tool certainly plays interesting music, but it's never caused an impact on me.
Tool is one thing, Opeth is another. Madonna is one thing, Opeth is another.

id say that porcupine tree has better songwriting than both opeth and tool. other than the signature changes during songs, tools formula for writing songs is very similar to countless other bands; i dont see how the structure of their songs is innovative compared to many psychedelic bands.

i believe you are talking out of your ass, kennon.

i didn't read that and i don't care what everyone else thinks about music. if you like a fucking band you don't have to back it up with this shit. it's appealing to you and that's all you need.